MAP Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No it’s not that either

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Okay guys and girls, time to concentrate on the MAP Meet, as it's now only 7 weeks away.

The Just Giving Page is now up and running and you can find it here. Read Simon's story

You don't have to be a member of MAP to attend, so tell your friends, students and class mates.

We can also have a charity raffle in the bar after the event and that will be in aid of Cancer Research.

chatter box has kindly donated The Way of No way - Solving the Jeet Kune Do riddle by Jerry Beasley.

Travess sadly can't make the event, but has kindly donated his copy of the Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker, which is an absolute must have book.

If you or any of your friends have something martial arts related you could donate to the raffle it'd be very much appreciated.

If you can't make the MAP Meet, but want to donate, then any contribution will be greatly appreciated.

3. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

I will bring a few books on the day as I am having a sort out.

Mitch, Alansmurf and Simon like this.
  4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Getting excited for it now :)

@Simon is there a full listing of sessions currently planned? I need to start deciding now! :D

5. Simon

Full listings and times will be up a little later today.

If a time doesn't suit and instructor let me know and I'll make the changes.

Dan Bian likes this.
  6. Simon

The running order is as follows:

Session 1. 10.30 - 12.00 - Keith Lebhan - Boxing Basics + Aegis Hema + Simon Trapping Hands & straight blast
    Session 2. 12.15 to 13.45 - Dunc - BJJ + One of Janno's instructors Eskrima (FMA) + Unreal Combat Trips & Dumps
    Break for lunch - 13.45 to 14.15
    Session 3. 14.15 - 15.40 - Ben Gash - Introduction to Sanshou/Sanda + Simon Trapping Hands & straight blast + Aegis Hema
    Session 4. 15.50 - 17.00 Smurf - Ju Jitsu + Dunc BJJ + Available slot

17:00 onwards. Wash and scrub up then into the bar to drinks and laughs.

All subject to change if certain instructors can't make it. Also if an instructor wants to take a session and it clashes with his own, then let me know and I'll try and accommodate.

There is a slot available at the end of the day is either Unreal Combat or Ben gash want to run a second session.

Feel free to comment.

Vince Millett, Mitch, Smaug97 and 2 others like this.
  7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

BJJ and FMA in the same slot is a No-No.
    Yes, even than, when there is a second BJJ session* :p

*at the same time as JJ; I like comparing what I learn and do in JJ, with what others do.
    If I can make it, I should start considering already what to do :confused:

Simon likes this.
  8. chatter box

chatter box Member

Any chance you could please persuade David arnold to do a tai chi class?:D
    it went down very well last year.

9. Simon

I've asked if he's available.

chatter box likes this.
  10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I can run a second session if needed, maybe chuck in some Dutch Kickboxing style drills. Assuming Mitch will be staying until the end as I believe Ruth & I am travelling with him.

Vince Millett likes this.
  11. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hi

I’m not sure that I’m qualified to teach BJJ per se

Happy to share the groundwork curriculum that I use in my dojo ‘though. It’s geared towards self defence scenarios and based on a combination of BJJ structure and TJJ methods

In my view every martial artist should have some knowledge of how to recover from a ground situation and this is how we answer that question in my dojo

Also happy to run a session on Japanese weapons (bo, sword etc) if that’s of interest

Hope that makes sense

D

Vince Millett likes this.
  12. Simon

Gimme a minute and I'll amend the running order.

13. Simon

The running order now as follows:

Session 1. 10.30 - 12.00 - Keith Lebhan - Boxing Basics + Aegis Hema + Simon Trapping Hands & straight blast
    Session 2. 12.15 to 13.45 - Dunc - Groundwork SD scenarios + One of Janno's instructors Eskrima (FMA) + Unreal Combat Trips & Dumps
    Break for lunch - 13.45 to 14.15
    Session 3. 14.15 - 15.40 - Ben Gash - Introduction to Sanshou/Sanda + Simon Trapping Hands & straight blast + Aegis Hema
    Session 4. 15.50 - 17.00 Smurf - Ju Jitsu + Dunc BJJ + Unreal Combat Dutch Kickboxing style drills

axelb likes this.
  14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Unfortunately due to commitments, I can't make it to MAP this year. However, if anyone is in Big Smokey London during the week..I'll probably be out eating somewhere.

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Good, that London is such a small place!
    You probably run across half the people you know by accident!
    :p

16. Mushroom

I actually do!!

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You know too many people then :confused:

18. Mushroom

Unfortunately at times... I do. :p

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

That's why I am a loner with no friends :rolleyes: :D

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Can't make it! Hope you guys have a blast! Next year I'll come as an instructor (if I'm allowed) :D

Mitch and Mushroom like this.