MAP Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Ruth will be coming along to help demonstrate also.

I will post in more detail what people can expect from the session over the next week or two.

Mitch likes this.
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Let me know if you guys need a lift :)

Unreal Combat and Simon like this.
  3. Unreal Combat

We will take you up on that offer. Thank you. :)

Mitch likes this.
  4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sooo, it seems there is quite a good chance I'll be coming and I may not come alone! There are two of us, but some complications may occur :(
    So far we are checking for cheap accommodation and plane tickets. It would probably be best for us if we stayed Saturday - Tuesday (to also make the trip worth it) :) I found a nice hotel - Royal House - in High Wycombe. Do you have any experience with that place? Or does any of you locals have any tips for a good place to stay? :) London or High Wycombe?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good news Nachi. if you can make it I'll cover the cost of the actual MAP Meet.

I don't know the Royal House, but will ask John Titchen who knows the area well.

If you wish I'm sure we can get you some further training, or sight seeing.

Nachi likes this.
  6. Nachi

Thank you very much Simon. Any tips would be good! Although as I further looked into it, the Royal House seems to be what we are looking for. Cheap and with a kettle in the room. I can't be bothered by details as long as I have unlimited access to tea :D
    Any further training or sightseeing, would be, of course, much appreciated, but we don't want to be a bother.

7. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

I stayed in a great little hotel literally around the corner from the venue when I was there for a jiu jitsu tournament.....it's called Malvern House. Found it on Bookings.com

Nachi likes this.
  8. Nachi

Thank you, I will look into it! :)

9. Simon

I've been contacted by Janno asking when the meet was on. Unfortunately he'll be in the Philippines will hopefully be able to get one of his guys to take an FMA session.

If it's anything like last year it'll be awesome.

It's also great news that Unreal Combat will be taking a session.

The only thing that prevented that last year was instructor insurance, but this year I'll be putting him on my insurance policy.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  10. Unreal Combat

Big thanks for that. As I stopped teaching for a while and let my insurance run out previously it was something that held us back last time. Glad to be able to sort something out for that as I have loads to pass on from training in Thailand and fights etc since I last ran a session at a MAP Meet.

Aiming to make it a session that even the traditional practitioners can take something away from, so get involved! :)

Mitch, Alansmurf and Simon like this.
  11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My attendance is waaay up in the air. I may literally just turn up to hang out.

(Also an excuse to go to The Works for mad wicked ice cream before hand)

Alansmurf likes this.
  12. Simon

Not long now folks.

I'll get the Just Giving page sorted soon.

I have decided that in addition to debunking the trapping hands myth I'm also going to be covering the straight blast. :D

Mitch likes this.
  13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm probably dumb, yeah, I know, but: What does that mean?

14. Simon

It's a much derided move from Wing Chun that many say doesn't work.

I'll demonstrate otherwise.

Latikos likes this.
  15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Its a term used by jkd to refer to something wing chun folks say doesn't exist and is a bastardized version of a move they teach to help train to cover the centerline

Latikos likes this.
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It might be derided but its a jkd move not wing Chun :)

17. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Looking forward to it

Previously I've tried to cover some "old school" methods that
    a) are relatively easy to implement for folks from different styles,
    b) may come in handy off the mats, and
    c) are hopefully interesting examples of "old vs new" for the more experienced martial artists attending the session

This year I'd like to share some of the work that I've been doing to develop a solid set of escapes from the key positions used to control people on the ground (self defence scenario rather than IBJJF rules). In my view every martial artist today needs at least some basic answers to getting back on their feet if taken to the floor

I really enjoyed the HEMA session last year so if people are interested then I can bring some bo and swords and we can explore the armed methods from a traditional japanese samurai school called Kukishinden - maybe as a separate session if time allows?
    Please let me know if that'd be of interest and I can source some 6ft sticks and boken ahead of time

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Knee Rider likes this.
  18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't care what is done on the ground, as long as it is on the ground :D
    Sport or SD - I don't care.

I'd like that!
    I suck at it, but I'd like it :D

great, now I have to face, that I'm a coward and finally need to contact Mitch :oops::rolleyes:

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Half Accurate - it originated in Bruces reading and training in Wing Chun rather than “orthodox” schools

There are also several versions of it - Bruce taught 5 variations

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So he wasn't shown it but discovered it for himself whilst adding to his unfinished training from yip man?

If that's the case it's not wing chun it's jkd