MAP Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I have attended a few training events that provide the same design T's for their participants, and I have always thought that they not only offered a nice piece of memorabilia for the students, but also a nice nod of recognition to the instructors/organisers...

...Plus, you know, advertising for the next event!

Travess

Simon likes this.
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm happy to rock a MAP patch :) or even a tote bag?

3. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I wouldn't mind some sort of patch that I could attach to my tac vest for when I'm airsofting. Gotta represent!

Mushroom, Simon and Smaug97 like this.
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have had a change of heart and fancy teaching a session on trapping hands, or rather debunking the trapping hands myth.

When to trap, when not to trap, how to break out and so on.

Your thoughts on such a lesson, or any questions.

Smaug97, hewho and Knee Rider like this.
  5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

That sounds very interesting! I'd be up for that as a session

Simon likes this.
  6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That sounds extremely interesting.

Simon likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honestly what would make it interesting would be if its going to be demonstrated unscripted against someone like pretty in pink or one of the Thai guys attending in a sparring match so we can see it at work

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Knee Rider

Any application involving timing, energy and motion would certainly be attention grabbing.

I've never been sold on trapping as it's most commonly seen but I'm open to even just a theoretical demonstration from which I can draw my own opinion.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

For me trapping works but it's like, for the amount of time that range is available it's not worth training in it in my opinion.

Another opinion:

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You could level the same argument against anything taught at the MAP Meet, but that's not what they're about.

I use it all the time, but only for a heartbeat in time.

For me it's why I'd like to debunk the trapping hands myth.

The job is to strike, trapping is just a tool in the toolbox that facilitates that.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I could level it against a lot of stuff that's true, but I'm not I've seen trapping demoed quite a bit, I've seen it talked about but rarely applied and when it is it's usually by someone who has never actually studied a trapping art.

And it's never applied the way it is trained or demo's, to be honest applying it to modern empty hand fighting is like trying to apply wrestling hand fighting to MMA, tools suited for a different environment and different time

And the myth of trapping, are you talking about from a Chinese point of view, if so that should be fun as I've seen wing chun sifu with decades of experience still not agree on what chi Sao is for, what they are trapping for

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You can get those demo's in any wing chun school, issue is the timing energy and motion is from an artificial platform which makes it largely irrelevant, empty hand wise it only makes sense if your opponent uses an extended guard down the centre and you are also preoccupied with attacking the centre, you then have to move his limbs in order to continue to hit him, if he doesn't extend his guard, doesn't care about the centre that much and with draws his strikes then it's probably not that useful

Dead_pool and Knee Rider like this.
  13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

It might be interesting exploring how it might be a tool to lead into grappling as well as into striking. Sounds interesting anyway!

15. Knee Rider

I know. But I'm interested always to see if anyone can bring anything new to the table.

Due to Simon's history and affiliations I'm intrigued at least.

16. Knee Rider

Some of that looks alright/reasonable some I'm not so sure. What do you think?

The stuff which involves pushing the guard in to momentarily create an opening in entry and the following back if the jab seems fine but the multiple trap stuff seems completely unrealistic to me. The fact someone like Rick Young sees value in it makes me hesitant openly write it off wholesale though, although that is my instinct.

Mitch likes this.
  17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Rick young could probably make anything work he is that good

but that demo is exactly like most of the trapping demo's, uki moving slower than his opponent, uki passive in defense, no footwork or countering. No head movement, allowing multiple replies to a single strike without responding and so on

Trapping works under those conditions and certain other ones but there is a reason you don't see anything like that in MMA or actual sparring unless you are much better than the other guy or unless he does southern Chinese arts and wants to play that game lol

A fair few southern Chinese arts discovered that if the only person doesn't want to play trapping it's hard to make it work the hard way in Canton over 100 years ago and changed accordingly, wing chun wasn't one of those

Mitch likes this.
  18. Knee Rider

I agree.

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Trapping does work, I can do it against people. It's just not worth spending too much time on because the range is so small.

20. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Muay Thai fighters have been hand fighting/ trapping/ clearing hands for donkeys years.

It’s just one element and a fleeting moment in a fight as part of an holistic whole of striking with the hands, elbows,knees, shin/ feet, and clinch work.

Boxers also clear hands or manipulate their opponents guard somehow to get through or off balance or drag out of position or create space safely or close in and have done for years.
    Fedor used to clear a hand and strike in his fights.
    Of course sub wrestlers and grapplers hand fight and clinch.
    Judo guys grip fight.
    Sumo guys hand fight and push/pull.

It’s not as fancy looking or flowery as other styles that claim to do it and a bit messy maybe for people to fully respect or bother trying to understand but it’s right there to see working in full contact situations.

No style owns anything. If it works, it works and is seen working.