MAP Meet 2018

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

Cheers Simon; thanks for your kind words,looking forward to it.

Mitch and Simon like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Time to think of a worthy charity.

If we do the raffle again (donations accepted) we'll need a second charity.

Charity can be UK based or something a little more international.

Be as selfish as you like. if it's close to your heart then say so.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Okay, as I would love to go to the US next year for a training camp, my bank account is...
    ;)

More serious:
    I think the mental health organization mentioned earlier would be a good choice.
    As a weirdo myself, that occurred to me first anyway.

Or something similar: Like assisted living.
    Since I'm not sure it really means the same here as I want: People who live normally in a flat, but get visits by Caritas or similar to see everything works out for them; there are organizations that work mainly from donations.
    Personally I would prefer MIND though (that was the name of the first idea, right?)

Alternatively maybe an organization that works towards Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy?
    The beneficial seminar two friends of me started ten years ago donated for "Benni und Co", who are centered around this.
    (I would ask people to come there next year, but since it's in Bochum... ;) )

Aside from thinking it a good cause it "helped" that I met a boy a few years ago, having this illness; he went to his first holy communion at our parish and I was friend with his cousin a while back, while doing honorable work at church.
    The boy knew exactly what he had, how it would end, but wouldn't let it stop him.
    And seriously - seven years old, knowing that they will die young and being okay with it... Gosh, they give me goosebumps.

But there are so many worthy causes, and given my own situation, I would probably vote for a mental health cause.
    Maybe something that works at the same time on it, to make things known better to people, so that prejudices will keep dying as well.

Or something for animals.
    They're my other weakness.
    I'll consider donating one of my cats in that case, if he keeps yelling at me half the time.

4. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Speaking completely selfishly, I vote Epilepsy Research UK.

I have epilepsy, it's crap. Ended a potential career with the military, affected many jobs I looked for in my early twenties, effectively stunting any future personal economic growth. Has left me permanently on medication that may or may not at any time stop working because of another imbalance or other unexplained phenomenon in my brain (as well as all the lovely side effects).

I think anything that can help people with worse cases than mine, especially young kids whose quality of life gets affected is a worthy cause. My case is actually quite mild compared to some I've seen, and I'm lucky to have a very supportive missus. After almost a decade of different medications and tests I'm at a point now where I can almost live a "normal" life. I don't want young kids to have to go through that. Maybe if we're lucky in the future it'll be something else that can be 'cured' or at least treated so it doesn't affect lives the way it does.

Interesting side fact. After a seizure I can't remember my name, where I am or anything. But I can tell you how long I've been training in Karate and discuss techniques and applications. Funny thing ay?

Dan93, Dead_pool, Mitch and 4 others like this.
  5. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

For an international charity how about water aid even very same amounts of money( £5.00 ) makes a big impact regarding clean water in the developing world. Check their website. UK wise how about a charity that steers young people away from gangs or steering young people away from carrying knives.

Dead_pool, Smaug97 and Mitch like this.
  6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I like all the suggestions so far, and it's always difficult to know where to send help.

I'd like to make two suggestions.

1st, I'd like to suggest MIND or a similar, but more global, mental health charity. Without being sentimental, I'd like to do this in memory of ex-MAPper Moi. Those who didn't know him should see the thread here. He was one of us and I think it would be a fitting tribute.

2nd I do like Water Aid, or how about make it more specific and support MMA fighter Justin Wren's charity which is about supplying clean water. Lots to read on it here.

Beyond that, I'm always going to support Cancer Research. I've watched one of the finest people I know go back for yet more surgery this year after supposedly getting the all clear. You can't imagine how much I want to kick cancer where it hurts.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    chatter box, Van Zandt, Dan93 and 2 others like this.
  7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Not sure how doable that actually is, but I read of an event that at the same time made sure, that all people (who were willing to, of course) would become possible donators for DKMS.

Maybe - if that actually would be a possible thing! I don't know about that, in all honesty - that could be a... "money-free-add-on"?

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I would also like to echo other suggestions that a mental health charity would be appropriate and fitting.

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Anything on suicide prevention for a charity? In recent light of Moi passing....

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Would there be a charity providing both, prevention but also how to handle it as family/ friends?
    They get forgotten too often as well as the problem itself (the suicide) gets too often hushed up, as it's still a taboo as is mental health.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

MIND supply immediate help in the UK, plus Samaritans etc of course.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I did not realise Moi had passed away recently.

I struggled in the past few years with my own mental health and really the support of the MAP mod team Irl really helped.

I think we should donate to MIND so people can get access to some support

13. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Seems fitting to me

14. Simon

I think that's it settled.

Home | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems will be the major benefactor from the 2018 MAP Meet.

It's a nice way to remember Moi and if we are honest we all have a few hiccups mentally along the way.

I'm going to make a call here and say that the raffle will again be Cancer Research UK

Another fantastic charity and again I'm sure we all know someone who has suffered from this horrible disease.

15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Can i suggest for the next one to donate some money to one of the "get children into STEM" type charty things?

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Most STEM organisations aren't charities, they receive government funding.

As an example,

About us | STEM

Simon likes this.
  17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I am going to try to make it but I'm afraid the missus will come too again and then drag me to the HEMA classes and beat me with sticks like every other MAP meet

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So, I use this picture as my profile pic on Whatsapp for a while now.
    Had another before, from the meet as well, and no one cared; just as I know it.
    It's only a picture after all.

Now, that I use this, people actually talk to me about it.

One think it's creepy and that I look scary; he'b be scared of me now.
    One assumed the picture is posed (I don't even noticed, that there was a taken a picture, since I was listening and concentrating).
    One think it's look I get made ready for a date (what the hell? o_O :D )
    Another one thinks I look like puppet/ doll.

Obviously I'm awesome on photographs :D
    The photographer should apparently be glad, that the camera didn't break, when taking the picture :D

19. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd say it's just an excellent picture, very well timed!

20. Simon

Mitch and I have just been discussing new t-shirts and hoodies for the meet.

I was thinking of band tour t-shirt type designs, but rather than the venues listed on the back it'd be a list of the instructors and their styles.

What do you think?

Dan Bian and Dead_pool like this.