MAP Meet 2015 June 13th, High Wycombe

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Jun 16, 2014.

?

Who is going?

1. Definately going

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Hopefully going

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. I'm a wimp and have to check with my partner

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Can't make it, gutted

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Simon you should probably update the OP with all the new information regarding the event so that there's an easy reference point.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

On the mankini and masks? OK but I draw the line at tassles!

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Can we not just wear jock straps instead? I look fabulous in a jock strap. Honest.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Thanks to getting my shifts changed at work I'll most likely be coming along to this one. I know, I know. Try to contain your excitement.

5. Southpaw535

Also just to throw this out there, and sorry if its a bit derailing, but when I got my blue belt there were a few posts about doing something at a meet. There's enough grapplers that are waaay better than me teaching anyway and I'm not entirely confident enough in my ability to teach anything but noobs, but when it was mentioned I thought about what I could show other than a basic bjj introduction that was applicable for more people. Other than attacking mount or turtle I came up with some ideas for showing simple ways to create space and get back to the feet from different positions off your back. So guard, side, knee on belly, mount.

I'm not sure how exciting a "get to your feet" session would be but I was curious if there'd be any interest in something like that?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yes.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep :)

Mitch

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Always interested. I have an odd 'no hands' approach. :)

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Oh well, there's another one that I wont be going to.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

At RGA we dd a self defence butt scoot session with the bjj get up an living from the ground. I've used it pretty well in class and open mat clubs.
    Also love those pop ups from knee on billy, the transition is so smooth to so many other things.

Hm... I have an idea of a high level bjj guy in the area whis also a MAP member who might be interested. If that's okay with you southy?

ALSO - mods, if we need anything set up in the area I'm up for doing the leg work under JWTs supervision of course :p

11. Southpaw535

I have to admit I'm curious about a self defence butt scoot :p

It would also make more sense to get that dude to do it over a blue belt teaching an mma technique :p

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Did I just get volunteered for something? :Angel:

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Nah I just thought everything had to be under mod supervision

Southy - I'll message you who I have in mind over fb. He defo knows the SD but scoot

14. LemonSloth

Me too. Any excuse for a cuddle.

15. Southpaw535

Ok mate. Still have no idea what an sd butt scoot is though :p I don't think its the same thing I had in mind.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What Lefty's talking about is actually anti-cuddling. I think he's got a blue belt in wing chun or some such bauble.

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd be very interested in this.

Even if you were teaching it! ;)

18. Southpaw535

My belt is actually colorless. People only perceive it as blue because of the aura I emit.

19. LemonSloth

Oh. Well I am much disappointed then.

Southpaw you fiend, pushing me away from you and into Mushroom...

Shameful.

:p

EDIT: Seriously though, any kind of BJJ stuff would be cool.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  20. Southpaw535

I feel like I'm being a tad disingenuous. Things related to standing up I mostly learnt from mma. But its still grappling :p

Anyway Shroomy would only show you how to take people down. What's the point in that if everyone from my class can pop right back up? :D

Anyway there would be hugging. Lots of touching and laying on partners, and some of the stuff I can think of would have submission possibilities instead of just getting up. Can mushroom show you a peruvian necktie?! Probably! But mine would be better.