MAP, "Let's Play"ers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I have written drama scripts and done stand-up before as a hobby, but the whole thing of editing videos and thinking up visual content and how you present it as an entertainer is very new to me so I was kind of interested to learn a bit about how it's done and so.... well.. as of tonight I have a Let's Play series going.

This makes me wonder, have any other MAPers done the same? What are peoples views on the whole "genre"?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What's "Let's Play"?

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

If Slip was still about, he's probably the best person to talk to. I myself have a degree in film making and even did stuntwork in Hong Kong in my youth.

Todays technology is amazing. When I first learnt everything, I was still using 8mm, Super VHS and mini Digital. I spent well over £1000 for a broadcast level camera where now a days my mobile phone is 10x more powerful.

I've also restarted writing scripts. Dialogue is not my strong suit but what I try to do is base my characters slightly on people I know and gauge responses on what they might say. I also make mental notes on quotes and responses from other people.
    Sometimes the phrase "You can't write this stuff" is very true.
    My friends who are writers tend to be able to pluck ideas out of their head and I am jealous of that.

On the subject of video editing. What is it you're looking to do?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You'll have to share your channel with us!

I like "Let's Play" videos but some of the more popular ones (like PewDiePie) annoy the crap out of me. He's OTT (especially his voice... damn his voice, damn it to hell!) to the point he's unwatchable. Just my opinion though. I prefer theradbrad, his style is natural and he's funny because he doesn't try too hard.

I'd say try to make your dialogue as natural as possible (i.e. don't use a script if you can help it). I'd certainly find that more appealing. I think made-up dialogue is easy to spot (and off-putting) unless you're a very good actor or natural presenter. I'm doing work (fight choreography and minor stunts) this week with some film students from a nearby university, and while I'm no A-list actor or screenwriter myself, some of the dialogue is just like, "Wha-?". I think it has to be a combination of good writing and good execution.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

D'oh!

Thought this:

...had something to do with the OP, and thought it was a about something I'm intersted in.

Then I noticed it's in the video games section.

Carry on.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

You forgot to mention that pewdiepie can't make a video without face cam. I'm a very big Jesse Cox fan though so I guess I can't really fault him for being juvenile even if it is way too fake and over the top for me.

Anyway, I've never done a lets play channel. Did consider it and started saving for kit, but I just don't have the voice for it. I'm also far more of a written humor person and don't have the delivery to do it over video. Good luck though! If you start making the big youtube monies and need someone to spam your videos over social media for a small fee then I'm your man.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

IMO, he's hilarious in very small doses. But yeah, even I get annoyed with him quite quickly. It's like watching a 14 year old boy guzzle red bull having snorted sherbert. His girlfriend is worse :eek:

My favourite time to watch is watching play horror games like Amnesia because they scare the crap out of him :D. His walking dead stuff is pretty cool though, just because of how hard some of those choices are.

For games like Dark Souls though I quite like HunterStarcraft. He's dry as hell but doesn't annoy me and he's very informative.

I'll look him up later. :)

@ Giacomo: I've never done it before, I doubt I'd be any good at it myself. But I thoroughly enjoy watching "Let's plays" of other people. As long as the dialogue is natural - don't bother trying to force being funny, it almost never works. At the same time, don't be afraid to ramble sometimes - people tune in as much for the commentary as they do the video game afterall.

Let us know when your first vid is up!

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah but she can be forgiven. We like her. Oh yes. We do. :evil:

Attached Files:

9. LemonSloth

Yeah, she's pretty fit. But she's basically got her body with the voice of Joan Rivers on Helium and the enthusiasm of a five year old child who has just found a mix of shiny things and sugar. It's not a good combo.

Thank goodness for the mute button :evil:

10. Southpaw535

So much this ^

As all the popular youtubers I watch have said, people don't give a toss really about the game, they tune in to see the person. Whether you have success or not is largely luck but it also comes down to whether you as a person are likable and funny. You can tell when the funny is forced (although people like Pewds and Markiplier have been very successful out of it. Depends what your target demographic is I guess) and rambling generally ends up funny.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

WOA...looks like one of my GF in the early 70's

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Mute? Nah mate. Pause button. 30 seconds is all I need :ban:

13. LemonSloth

[​IMG]

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:D

Attached Files:

15. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Agreed, it's pretty hard to find anyone who can actually sit down and watch 20 minutes of his videos who isn't a 14 year old with ADHD.

I'm currently using Windows movie maker to edit them but I'm not entirely comfortable with the style I have done them in. The game I'm playing is Thief 2: The Metal Age, it's a very carefully paced stealth game but the problem is I don't want to leave people sitting through half an hour of me waiting for guards to pass by.

However once I start cutting sections of the footage out in favor of making a briefer more pleasurable experience for the viewer then I also start carving away at any sense of narrative which in turn makes it more difficult to watch because then you're no longer watching a let's play but just lots of random gameplay clips with me droning over the top of them.

In terms of progress, I have two videos up on youtube right now.... if people really want then I might put up a link to them soon but I think for now I'm going to wait until I have made a couple more and have gotten a bit more practiced in carving out an actual product.

Incidentally, watching the footage back I've discovered that I swear like a docker!

16. Southpaw535

My personal thoughts on editing is to never do it unless there's zero choice. As in, if the game freezes. Editing's really obvious and a lot of people don't seem to like it. Thief's a tough game to lets play though for that reason: There's just not much material to play off. Jesse Cox refused to do it because of that. He did pull off a dishonored lp though so I could be full of crap.

Credit for not jumping straight on a south park one though.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  17. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

By editing I'm really talking about cutting out superfluous footage that is relatively un-eventful. Dan Hardcastle of Nerdcubed (one of the premier of British gaming commentators, next to Yogscast) heavily edits his footage because he himself admits that he has trouble talking for 20 minutes straight in a way that can engage an audience; I'm basically in the same boat as, unlike Jesse Cox or Markiplier, I'm not a pro with years of entertainment experience behind me, nor do I rate myself as someone with the ability to naturally free-style for that amount of time.

That said the reason I'm not going to be covering big titles is two fold.

1. There are hundreds of Youtubers covering big releases and the ones who do it successfully are often full time professionals.

I have no intention of trying to compete with someone who has proper recording and editing equipment and can take full working days to craft their videos. I'm recording on free-software, using a pretty bog standard mike and my edit process so far has been around 2 hours maximum; the chances of me having anything comparable to the quality of vids that can be produced by a team like the Yogscast is minuscule.

2. If people want to see GTA V they are going to turn to someone they know and can rely on. I'm an outsider (and probably will remain so for as long as I post vids) so I'm going to need a unique selling point to get people tuning in.

Once I get some idea of how I like to edit and what manner of presentation suits my voice, sense of humour and general level of knowledge about gaming, I have two ideas for playlists that could offer something new.

First would be a "budget gamer" series. I'm a Masters Student and unless I get a paid doctorate at the end of this year I do not have the income to spend on triple A releases or purchasing the kind of souped up gaming rig that could conceivably run them while also running recording software in the background so....

I'll be honest that for most of the past couple of years my gaming experience has revolved around finding interesting games that are at a low price and can be run comfortably on a laptop. So the aim of the series would be to find the best gaming experiences for "under and around" a fiver that do not need a high end PC to get the most out of.

The other series would be a "games that do things" series that looks at past or present games that break the mould in terms of gameplay and do interesting things in terms of design. A sort of more "art house" approach to gaming, looking at concepts rather than overall quality and polishedness.

But for now I'm just trying to get the hang of how to create something that's watchable and won't cause people to click off 5 seconds into the video.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Can't offer much in the way of editing advice etc (been meaning to get my stretching and kicking tutorial series going for the last 4 years lol) but have got a huge backlog of Xbox 360 titles you can have and would be willing to donate a copy of future releases while you get your channel on its feet (REALLY wanna see one of MAP's own usurp PewDiePie!) :)

19. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Aw man! You really do have a heart of gold. :love:

But I'll have to turn you down in this instance, I don't really intend to go far with this channel, if it's still going in a years time and has something that could be called a "subscriber base" I'd be ecstatic; and since I don't have an Xbox it'd probably be more trouble for you than it's worth.

Though I do live in Sweden, so maybe we could get a kickstarter going for the train tickets and camera needed to make a documentary in which I travel to PewDiePie's house and give him a well deserved kicking...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I know someone who knows someone who can help...

Attached Files: