MAP experiment - what techniques to add to form a new style

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Sonshu, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Ok aim for this is a fully positive is to create a basis for a style of martial arts.

As individuals what would you want to see added to it if you had to impart one technique or part of information:

Answer the following:

1) What is it called (English versions are easier)?
    2) What is its benefit?
    3) How effective is it: Novice, Mid Range, Advanced or Instructor?
    4) Why?

If you have pictures please feel free to add them. It can be stance, technique or drill etc but just 1 thing?

I will start with Cross Punch

1) Cross
    2) Powerful and simple punch with minimal margin for error, very simple to
    employ
    3) Novice - it is very easy and should in my view be a core technique
    4) Due to the wide sucsess of the manover across multiple styles it has stood the test of time, is fairly natural, easy to pick up and I feel deserves a place, such an obvious one doubt it needs a picture.

2. Lennert

Lennert Valued Member

-Side kick
    -Very easy and quite powerfull, widely appliable in many situations. Can be used offensive aswell as defensive.
    -Novice
    -This is the first kick that will come into your mind, easy to employ.

3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

personally i think a side kick is a very difficult technique to do correctly. a lot of people do it wrong and think they are doing it right.
    okies bye bye

4. Lennert

Lennert Valued Member

:D Ok well, then it's difficult :Angel: I still think it should be added because of it's effectiveness though.

5. sean

sean THOR!

1) Roundhouse kick
    2) Extremely powerful when applied correctly, very large surface to hit with so can be used at different ranges/heights.
    3) Novice
    4) 'Core' technique, a fundamental of any fighting system, easily applied with force and easy to train/improve it. Its also a natural movement, dynamic.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Before we talk about techniques we need to talk about the doctrine of the style. Otherwise we're putting the cart before the horse.

We need to answer the following questions:
    1. What is the overall goal of the style?
    2. What are the conditions of combat that the style will engage in? (Hand to Hand, hand to weapon, weapon to weapon?)
    3. Under what conditions would the system be deployed? (Sport, street, one on one, one on many)

All of these will greatly impact the range and focus of the techniques chosen for the style and the drills and strategies deployed. Without this core, all you end up with is a hodgepodge of punches and kicks that everyone thinks are important with no central focus to unite or help select among them.

No martial art can be all things to all people. What is the goal of this one?

- Matt

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

^^^Agreed.

And would the style be a technique based or principle based style?

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I would add the jumping back hand to the top of the head, because that is an easy point to score and most people won't be looking for it.

Also I would teach them how to get an armbar from side control.

:D

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Regardless of the answers to Freeform and Matt's questions, I'm gonna go with the basic "en guarde" stance. Easy to move around in, can toss lots of techniques from it, and whether you're on the street or in a tourney, you're gnerally toast if you can't master a basic fighting stance.

10. Sonshu

Not really as for me it should work and that is the soul aim of it. To be able to help you when attacked.

Not limiting to sport of forms etc it JUST HAS TO WORK and be effective coving core weapons. Knife, BFT and no guns as UK does not have this problem.

Simple as if it works on the streets it will work in sports and shoud be vice versa.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I am going to offer the concept of circular movement, both in offence and defence.
    I hope the other offerings here will be seamlessly integrated into it.

12. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  13. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Hey Sonshu,

good idea for a thread. I think at the moment we should just brainstorm ideas without any critisism and then decide what direction it goes.

I'm going to add the low straight kick; this is where you simply swing your foot out and kick. No knee bend, just swing out and connect (a bit like a toe bog in football). With the right shoes you can hit with the rim of the hard soles and then scrape down the shin into an ankle smash. Without them you've got to hit with the ball of the foot.

1) Low straight/front kick
    2) Very fast to execute, very hard to see coming, could teach it to a deaf mute monkey in 5 mins.
    3) Novice - not much balance or flexibility needed, easy to do
    4) Targets are limited to shin and knees so probably not a fight finisher.. however this has got to be (and I've tested it on th3 str33t) one of the kings of fight openers. Great from a 'stand-off' kind of position and typically opens up things up top. (I will admit straight away that it is subceptable to a stomp kick counter but it's so fast that that shouldn't be a problem.).

14. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

But my good friend, we still need to unpack how it will respond. For example is the expectation that you will primarily be responding empty handed or with a weapon? Is the goal of the response to stun and run? Or is it to inflict as much damage as possibile as quickly as possible? Is the expectation that most conflicts will involve escalation of some sort or surpise attacks?

I don't mean to sound pendantic, but these are all key assumptions as they impact the overall stragegy and therefore the techniques that are chosen.

- Matt

15. Sonshu

The point of unpacking how it will respond I think is more it will respond to the situation in hand and answer how the situation needs.

It will restrain if drunk uncle Jo has had to many beers at a family wedding and it will respond with effective powerful force if attacked with strong violence - just it will perform regardless of the situation.

I think its safe to assume empty hand (most common threat for most Map members) is the priority but will cover other weapons as well.

Hope this clears it up - rather than saying, must be offensive or defensive like Aikido or perhaps kickboxing it should be able to perform in any environment to a decent respectable level be they:

Point Sparring
    Street
    Competitions
    Weapons
    Submissiong Grappling
    MMA
    Full contact Sparring

Lets work on the premise we create something that will prove effective in all these settings, not excell but be able to perform.

16. Lennert

Lennert Valued Member

Hmm, I would like to add Kata guruma(shoulder wheel) and Uchi mata(Inner thigh throw). Kata guruma because it's really effective, and very usefull if you're smaller than your opponent.
    Uchi mata because it's usefull if you're larger than your opponent (for a change :p ) and they're both quite easy to perform(also without a gi, although Uchi mata would have to be adapted a bit for that). Kata guruma might take some time learn however.

Uchi mata

Kata guruma

17. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I'd add these too. As a matter of fact, I'd add most judo throws.

18. Lennert

Lennert Valued Member

Hmm, perhaps just the ones that can be applied without a gi, for practical reasons, but for the most I must agree :)

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

if the only priciple is "it has to work" then you are just going to end up with a mish-mash of techniques assembled from whatever styles are favored by the people who post more often or more convincingly.

Maybe you should define how we can know if a proposed technique "works", what does "works" mean? Or define a strtegy that the style will implement through all of these randomly assembled tactics... otherwise you might as well name this thread "what are your favorite techniques"

Also, how many techniques do you want to have? too many, the art will be impractical becaseu ti will be too difficult to learn. too few, it is then not versatile enough to cover all of your desired arenas.

20. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

As has allready been said straight low kicks below hip height. Simple to apply and simple to learn. Also the fact that it is simple means when you need it in a real situation it is more likely to work.
    Also palm strikes again easy to apply and learn the advantage over using a fist is that a fist can easily end up with broken fingers or knuckles.