MAP essay - Defence against knives

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ghost Frog, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

A very good point, but as all knifeinstructors will tell you: "If fighting with knives, you'll guaranteed be cut". That makes knifefighting that more erratic and unpredictable compared to swords. A medieval swordmaster once stated "Your're only as good as your last fight" This omnious statement is better transfered to knifefighting IMO

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Anyone remember this great thread?

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Grrrr.... Threadbumpers :woo: :woo: :bang: :bang: :D :D
    Actually, I'm really glad this got bumped because it's a really good read, both amusing and informative :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  4. Thomas

What's worse than a thread-bumper?
    Someone who replies to them without adding to the discussion! :D
    (Of course, a thread-bumper who doesn't add to the discussion is just as abd... but hey, I like this thread!)

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Look at it this way: Discussions about knife defense are bound to come up fairly regularly here. And when someone starts one, standard MAP practice is to link them immediately to the previous threads on the same topic. So it's one or the other. Bump up the past thread to begin with or reconcile yourself to the fact that new threads on the topic are going to be opened, linked, and then locked.

And lest I be guilty of not adding anything to the conversation: :)

Several people have pointed out that knife fencing is different from knife self defense. (In other words, knife fighting where two people with knives square off for a duel is very different from getting blindsided in an alley and stabbed in the back.)

So how do people train the latter? (I've trained the former.) Do you set up scenarios with verbal accosting, low light, environmental obstacles, etc.?

Stuart

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Touche! (also, to clear up any misconceptions, I was attempting to be humourous, hence the abundance of smilies in my post. Having read the thread, I like it too)
    I think anyone who's got a knife can be very dangerous, but if someone really wants to stab you, you're a lot less likely to see it coming, whereas if they don't really want to use it, they're more inclined to just show it to you as a way to scare you into complience. I've learned a few knife disarms in ju jitsu and karate which I'm confident I could use in the latter situation, but that would depend entirely on what they wanted. If they wanted my wallet, watch, phone etc, fine they can have it, the phone's insured, the watch is crap and I'm always broke. No point getting into that kind of situation if I don't need to.
    I've never studied Kali or any other blade art, so I don't know enough about the actual mechanics of knife "combat" to accurately comment on if an untrained opponent is more dangerous than an untrained one, but I remember seeing someone I knew who'd trained in kung fu to quite a high level get dropped by someone who threw a haymaker at him. When he got back up, he said the guy "didn't attack him right," I wonder if that same situation could apply to these knife systems too

7. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Very very difficult. A properly set-up ambush will always get the knife in first, unless the knife-wielder is incompetent. IMHO one just has to avoid places where you can be ambushed; I don't really see any way one can "defend" against what is basically a sucker punch with a blade.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm inclined to agree with you. Of course, I have that luxury, since I'm not really claiming to be an expert in knife defense. :)

9. Thomas

I know! That's why I was responding with a bit of humour as well. I just hate seeing great threads get buried knowing that I don't really have too much to offer to keep it going!

ap Oweyn asked this and it's a good question.

When we do self defence scenarios with verbalizations and instigations, we often set up some poeple with weapons (secretly) that they can use if the situation gets rough (as well as improvised weapons). Once in a while we do get mats out and form obstacles too.

Getting stuck with a training knife during self defence training, step sparring, or even regular sparring (heh heh heh... guilty of doing it) is a very rude awakening and helps (I hope) lead to better awareness and care in any situation.

10. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Are 300 words needed to explain that further? I think it is pretty complete.

Gruhn

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not if the guy comes after you with numchuks with swords tied to them, it isn't.

Oh right. Sorry.

12. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I'm in total agreement with you all, here. ;)

</spurious attempt to get the last word>

13. chi__pepe

chi__pepe New Member

i dont know if ppl have brought this up before, but mu TKD teacher enlightened me of a knife tacktick. This guy he knew was really trained with knives on the "street". The way he stabs to kill is, when some1 blocks with an arm he aims for the middle of the arm(between the hand and elbow).
    Why u ask. Coz when he cuts the skin and muscle the arteries and veins arent far off. and u bleed to death and he can nich(steel) ur money while u bleed.
    thats y the run run run run run run strategy is the best :D

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dare I even ask how many people he's "stabbed to kill"?

15. ALPHADEANO

ALPHADEANO U knows it Clart

I would just like to say, that a lot of people have said when it comes to knife attcks you should run.

Thats what I would probably do.

!but beware!

Dont turn your back on the knife or it might end up in your back.

Also my bro had a fight ounce, he knoked the guy down to the gound, job done.
    As he walked away the guy he knoked to the ground got up and stabed my bro in the back.
    My bro is fine luckly, it didnt penetarate deep and he has just a little scar.

16. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Yikes! You're right! Better just back away...

17. Infinite Zealot

Infinite Zealot New Member

Do remember that knives are close work weapons and that most who use them aren't going to announce it.

However, if you do need to defend yourself against a knife, you could use something that has more reach to disarm your opponent or defend yourself.

The biggest downfall of using a knife is that it is small and short. It does take a lot to die from such a wound as someone else has already stated.

But just use your mind, if such an encounter should happen.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004