MAP Check-in for everyone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alansmurf, May 20, 2020.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

OK its time for serious planning for getting back to training

Whats your plan ?

How will you implement the plan ?

A MAP meet plan needs to be explored too

Hope you are all well and happy

Smurf

axelb likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Currently still dealing with doctors about a knee replacement. After Rehab from that serious training begins, but I am hesitant to say anything is written in stone since there may be limitations after I get the fake knee

But here is what I am hoping for

>A return to serious Taijiquan training, contacting a push hands group an hour or so away to see if they will allow me to join. THey are all students of Yang Jwing Ming, I am not.
    >A return to Chen style taijiquan
    >Work on Sun style, just to see where it goes
    >Hopefully work with the push hands group I was working with prior to the pandemic, there are a couple BJJ/JKD/Kyokushin/Sanda people in that one
    >Work with some Aikido people I know on basic Aikido and taijiquan applications. The only people I can find who are truly interested in the martial side of Taijiquan are mostly Aikido folks
    >And I want to give Kali a try, found a JKD/Kali school near me....right after the pandemic started. But then the knee would not allow it anyways
    >Beyond that it will be Total Gym, Medicine ball and some Dumbbell work
    >Cardio, hoping ths MD and the knee, allows me to get back on a bike.

However all of this is dependant on what I am told after the knee surgery, that is not yet scheduled.

Alansmurf and Nachi like this.
  3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Prepping for a tier 3 Olympic weightlifting competition on 1st August, so my weight will be around where I'd like it to be for a judo competition in November. Reading a lot of coaching material, as my instructor has spoken to me about doing the first BJA coaching qualification when I get to the appropriate grade.

4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

At the moment I am training online, but I am looking forward to some training with actual people around me. Our karate just started training outside and I will be joining soon, helping to teach the classes, which I am only doing online for the time being. We are planning a regular weekend karate seminar at the end of June, which I hope to attend, but that generally concludes our official trainings till September. We have plans to create promotional video durting that time, so I hope it'll turn out well! Sensei is also thinking about a week long holiday together with a few karate people like we did last year, so I might do some proper training there.
    Since there will be less karate in summer, I am going to ride my bike a bit more, too.

I am also doing taiji now, learning lots in each class. There are going to be weekend seminars, and I hope to go to a week-long one as well. If the regular in-person trainings restart properly, I will be expected to help with the warm-ups etc., which is also a great motivation for me to get better and better as I am not too confident in my skills now (though, honestly, I am not sure if I'll ever be). In this regard, our teacher tends to push me into some mildly uncomfortable situations, so I'd better be prepared :) I am enjoying learning new things and receive many corrections. In the summer seminars I might learn a bit more about some weapons - I learned a bit of a staff form last summer, but didn't get to practice too much. Now that I mention it, I'd better start practicing lest it will be found out I slacked off :confused::oops:

Generally I am really looking forward to getting back to normal training. Hopefully sometime in summer, I, as well as the people around me, will get the Covid vaccine, so I might feel a bit safer. I am quite looking forward to that also.

What are your plans, Smurf, since you asked? :)

hewho, Dead_pool and Alansmurf like this.
  5. Alansmurf

All the best with the surgery and rehab

Xue Sheng likes this.
  6. Alansmurf

I have trained on the heavy bag and with weapons thru the lockdown period being lucky to have a double garage with the space to train.
    My son has started to train with me again so we are able to practice locks takedowns chokes and strikes which is keeping my skill set up to date and he is learning a lot
    I have started training with two of my black belts too so they happily challenge me and push the old man's skillset and veracity of techniques, we have been focussing on slowing some techniques down a lot and working the mechanics, this is how I refined my teaching skills thru the years.
    I have no large club / dojo at the moment so I am planning to be a bit of a free spirit and go train with various affiliated clubs and like-minded individuals across the South East whilst continuing with the current setup of training in my garage.

I am staying sane by kayaking too.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    hewho and axelb like this.
  7. Alansmurf

Smurf Dojo .jpg

hewho, Jaydub and axelb like this.
  8. Alansmurf

Weapons Dojo.jpg

Jaydub and axelb like this.
  9. Alansmurf

KAYAKING SMURF .jpg

Jaydub and axelb like this.
  10. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sounds great. And what a nice space you have! I am surprised it is not yez turned into a full-fledged garage gym :) But I can see it is in progress! :D

Kayaking? Wow, nice! So do you travel to various rivers to kayak on or do you have your favourite spot close-by?

Alansmurf likes this.
  11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Looks like a great setup! I have a single garage, but with all the stuff stored I have about 6ftx8ft to play with. That involves a lot of moving stuff around between doing solo BJJ, punch bag, or weight lifting.

I used to kayak in the South east (20+ years ago) great fun.

My plan this year: return to training safely if that is possible. I know a few others vaccinated at our club and if the government plan pans out I hope to have some sort of training in summer.

Alansmurf and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Alansmurf

I paddle in a few different places , mainly Thames tributaries and lakes .

It's very relaxing and I get to have a Bo staff with sharp bits to swing around :)

Nachi and axelb like this.
  13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Jealous of that garage set up smurf! I think you and my sister have matching weighted hoops!

Alansmurf likes this.
  14. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hellooooo!

I'm still around. I'd been a bit lax with training over the last year due to starting a new job with a startup, so working long hours and much tireness. My partner gave birth to our daughter in September last year, so the new little one is keeping us busy!
    I was starting to get back into training again at the beginning of march, but then I was involved in a car accident in the middle of the month. Basically got rear-ended whilst stationary at a roundabout. Wrote-off the other persons car, but I was luckily in my mum's volvo at the time so no major damage to her/my vehicle. But since then I've been feeling a bit of pain in my upper back, so I have an appointment at the Dr's coming up to get a once-over.

I'm gradually trying to get back into regular training, even before covid, I was slipping a bit. Some minor MH issues due to personal circumstances etc.

I'm hoping to get in good shape ready for the next MAP meet!!

axelb, hewho and Alansmurf like this.
  15. Alansmurf

Not mine requires way too much coordination...belongs to middle child :)

hewho likes this.
  16. Alansmurf

Hope it's a downward road for you .
    MAP meet would be excellent .

Dan Bian likes this.
  17. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Sorry to hear about the accident bud. Hope the little one is keeping well! I'd love to see you at the next MAP meet, missing you lot!

Dan Bian likes this.
  18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

It looks like my aikido organisation is starting to slowly reopen. One small class as a tester, doing only non contact stuff (weapons, probably a bit of basic rolling) before possibly opening more classes later on. I'm not worried about going back - I haven't been hidden away in the house for the last year and I'd only trained for a month before Covid kicked off properly so my standard shouldn't have slipped that much compared to the previous seven years I wasn't training.

I'm finally eligible for my vaccine (in the UK ages 34 and up can book from today) so I'm booked into a mass vaccination centre on Tuesday, the start of my "weekend" to give me a couple of days to get my arm working again and I'm booked up for a Tuesday in August for the second one. Not sure which they use there but I'm not concerned - I just want the jab so we can get back to some normality.

Alansmurf, Nachi, axelb and 2 others like this.
  19. axelb

My club is opened for limited indoor training. i.e. you can train with someone from your house, or train with a dummy.

I plan to go along with my dummy next week, get on a proper and and get back to the routine ahead of June 21st.
    It'll be nice to see people and also practise without bumping into a wall.

Alansmurf, Nachi and Anth like this.
  20. axelb

So based on media "leaks" much like 4 weeks ago, prior to announcement, this time the general message seems to be the government in the UK will announce a move to the next stage. For us that would be allowed back to contact training.

For my club it appears that would be back to normal BJJ with temperature checks on the way in. I haven't seen other guidance yet, I expect more details to come on Monday.

Has anyone else heard leaks or their clubs prepared for moving to "phase 2" of contact training?

Alansmurf and Kemposhot like this.