MAP Check-in for everyone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alansmurf, May 20, 2020.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Still working from home 2 to 3 days a week, in the office 3 or 2 days a week, still not much training, still dealing with knee issues, scar tissue from surgery. But I am at least working out on the total gym and I can do a Sun style taijiquan short form again. Hope everyone else is doing well

But we are all waiting for a second wave and results of the presidential election, that will either keeps us going as we are or shut us down again...completely

Kemposhot likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Still working from home 2 to 3 days a week, in the office 3 or 2 days a week, still not much training, still dealing with knee issues, scar tissue from surgery. But I am at least working out on the total gym and I can do a Sun style taijiquan short form again. Hope everyone else is doing well.

But we are waiting to see if there is a second wave and what the results of the election are.....one way will likely keep us going as we are and the other will likely shut us down completely..

3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

They look good! Not too bad a drive from me either.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

They're both on my list. Let's make it happen come spring. MAP Campout!

5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Awesome idea!

Mitch likes this.
  6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Hey it's a New Year and still struggling to get back on the mats .

How are you folks doing ?

Good news stories are welcomed.

Mushroom, Anth, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Had my vaccination today, next one in 12 weeks.
    I feel like this is the beginning of progress back to the mats :)

Alansmurf, hewho, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  8. Xue Sheng

At the rate NYS is going I'll be lucky if I get a vaccination by Summer

Kemposhot and Alansmurf like this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm teaching on Zoom, which lurches from moments of triumph from my students, to deep frustration on my part trying to explain something remotely that I could demonstrate in seconds in person. Honestly though, I'm so pleased that my students are showing themselves to be the dedicated, resilient, enthusiastic people I always want them to be.

Personally, I've been struggling with back problems, have missed training, put on some pounds, all the usual. The last few weeks are hopefully something of a turnaround though! A new stretching/strengthening routine seems to working well for my back, which is letting me go for an hour's walk each day with no pain, get back into basic training at home, shift some weight, and look forward to getting back to strength training and ramp up my home workouts.

I've no idea when we'll get out of this, but my students are awesome and I'm moving in the right direction :)

Alansmurf, hewho, axelb and 2 others like this.
  10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Still working hard even though we've all noticed how quiet it was over Christmas and into January (for those who don't know, I work for one of the "big four" UK supermarkets). More people are wearing masks but there's still a lot who either don't wear them properly (even with the announcements every ten minutes) or won't wait until they're outside to drop their masks for their phone calls.

Training wise, hardly anything has been done (I know I get a free cardio and weights session every night at work). I didn't do any martial arts for around seven years through work and only had a month back at aikido before Covid hit the UK so I think I'll still be fine whenever we get back. I did manage to get my bike set up on a turbo trainer I bought years ago today though, so now I just need to tear myself away from my Kindle and bag of Doritos for long enough to actually use it!

Alansmurf, hewho, Mitch and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Self Iso-ing due to contact.
    Nearing the end of sentence served, Mrs got the (face) shingles.

Fun in the house of Shroom at the mo.

Alansmurf and Mitch like this.
  12. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am also looking forward to when we can start practicing normally, but that seems like a distant future. As for vaccine, if everything goes as planned, people like me might get it sometime in (not early) summer. I think we might be able to go to the gyms sooner than that, but...

At the moment I am keeping myself rather busy with many online trainings. Right now we have 4 online trainings a week in karate and I go to three classes a week in Taiji + 1 Qi Gong (I would actually not be able to make it to so many classes if I had to travel to them). Also biking outside at least on the weekends, or more often. I am not going anywhere at all except for sport outside or visiting parents from time to time.
    I am really happy at least the online trainings are possible, although it is not ideal, especially for karate. Our teachers generally appear to be sad to not be able to do in person classes. Yesterday my Taiji teacher looked quite depressed, so he even read us some chinese poetry about spring to lift ours, as well as his mood. :)
    I am looking forward to classes in person and to the spring when the weather will be nicer for biking, going outside in general and a new gardening season! :) Other than that, I am doing fairly well.

Unfortunately due to people being irresponsible, while we were under the toughest restrictions the government had prepared for the past month, instead of lifting some, new are being added with a rule to not leave further than some 15 km from our house being the next threat.

It is nice to see how everoyone's coping.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Alansmurf and Mitch like this.
  13. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Getting by! Did a few weeks of night shifts at a toy shop before Christmas, was meant to get my contract for a new job at an ice rink the day Telford went in to tier 3, but that's hopefully lined up for when it re-opens.
    Used the opportunity to buckle down a bit with studying, started a GCSE equivalent maths course to allow me to apply for college in September, and then hopefully uni in a couple of years :)
    Hope everyone's good, and that we can get together again once it's safe and sensible, and do what we do best!

Anth, Alansmurf and Mitch like this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Still working from home 3 days a week and in the office 2 days a week. Knee is getting a bit better and I'm able to do a bit train at home again. But I will be happy when we all can get back to training

Alansmurf, Mitch and hewho like this.
  15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Good to know you are all doing your best.

Stay the course folks

We will be back

Mitch likes this.
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Working from home and no gym.

Luckily when we moved in about 20 years ago there was no local gym so brought squat stands, about 120kg weights, runner machine, bike, punch bags and Bob self standing bag, made my own grappling dummy etc,

First time any of them have been used in 15 years and it's probably worth three times what I paid for it back in the day lol

Also luckily we have mats at home and my partner also trains grappling and MMA so we can drill grappling in a confined space and do pad work and stand up sparring.

My Kali coach is also doing zoom classes which is a plus as my girl friend draws the line at me hitting her with sticks

Alansmurf, axelb, hewho and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ive been sorta busy and also lazy. As a key worker, Ive never worked so much before.
    Been 10 days isolation, on day 1 I signed up to a Python cyber security course (it was free) and thought maybe do some sketching.

Nope. Binged watched telly, played games and pretty much been living a hermit lifestyle.

axelb, Alansmurf, Mangosteen and 2 others like this.
  18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The turbo trainer has finally been used! Decided to have a half hour tester on it, working through the gears for five minutes each with a vague seated sprint for the last minute in a mid gear, just to see how I'd cope and how it's set up. I don't have a computer that works on the back wheel so I can't go off speed but I can try and keep a steady cadence going and work off perceived exertion. I was quite surprised that I didn't even break sweat but I did notice that my cycling shorts were nowhere near as tight on my thighs as they used to be (I really should use the powered pallet trucks less at work). No idea if the neighbours could hear the trainer like.

As an aside, even though I work amongst the great unmasked (and I'm not allowed to carry a bo as a social distancing measuring stick, I've asked...) I'm last in line for a vaccine. In my early thirties, no major illnesses, live alone, not working in care or whatever. I'd hazard a guess at I'll be lucky if I get a jab by the end of the year (knowing how our government is doing), making it more ironic that while people will be getting complacent when they've had their jabs and back in shops in their hordes I'll be working relatively unprotected.

hewho likes this.
  19. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I feel your pain. I’m essential and a NYS employee as well and have worked in person the entire pandemic. They’re still dragging their feet with the vaccines.

20. Xue Sheng

I too am a NYS employee, and I was considered essential, until I was exposed to the virus by another state employee last March. Ever since I have been semi-essential going in 2 or 3 days a week