MAP Awards 2017

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The MAP Awards are back.

As we haven't done them for a few years we are voting on any post or new member from January 2017.

Categories are:

Best Training Log
    Best Thread
    Best Newcomer
    Moi Award For Funniest Post
    Koyo Award For Most Helpful Mapper

You can vote for any newby, member or MOD, the choice is yours.

We should recognise the effort that individuals put into their logs, as that's a great commitment to MAP.

Best thread gives a simple but broad award, people can chew over the funniest threads, the most informative, whatever.

Best newcomer encourages new members.

Moi funniest post award remembers a prolific and popular member for the good side of his character.

Koyo for most helpful remembers how great Koyo was in that respect.

One vote in each category and I'll count them up at the end of Sunday 18th (UK time).

Winners will then get a gold award badge shown in below their avatar.

Awards will last one year then be removed.

That said we'll do this again in the new year for the 2018 awards.

Get voting.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  2. Simon

My vote for best training log is Morik.

The reason is the video content.

He has posted videos consistently, asked for and got feedback and kept coming back for more.

For me this is what gives MAP its community feel.

No ego, no looking for a slap on the back for posting a video, just a willingness to grow.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

+1 for Morik. That is a damn good log.

Deadpool for helpful because he's been posting facts in every political thread there is.

Speedy Boy or whatever his name is for funniest poster. I told my girlfriend about him and she laughed a lot.

Knee Rider, axelb, Mitch and 2 others like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Knee Rider has a great log!

Pip also has great posts in general.

Knee Rider, axelb and Mitch like this.
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Best Training Log: @axelb
    Best Thread: @Ero-Sennin (Thought of the Day)
    Best Newcomer: @Anjelica
    Moi Award: @Dead_pool
    Koyo Aard: @Simon

If the 'Best Thread' award applies only to those threads created in 2017 onwards, let me know and I'll make a different nomination.

axelb, philosoraptor, Simon and 2 others like this.
  6. Simon

Best thread and all other categories will apply from January 2017 to the present day.

It's also say that anyone can make a nomination, not matter how long they've been a member here.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't have an answer for all the categories but these seem apt...

Best Training Log - Aaradia. Inspirational in how much training she does and what she achieved recently.
    Koyo Award For Most Helpful Mapper - I'd go with Simon here too.

Simon likes this.
  8. Simon

Best Training Log: @Morik for reasons I've already mentioned
    Best Thread: I'll give that some thought.
    Best Newcomer: @Anjelica Crazy as a box of frogs, but you can't deny she has kept discussion vibrant, both regarding martial arts and off topic areas.
    Moi Award: I'd like to nominate the Mental Health and Addiction Forum. Yes it was started at the end of 2016, but Moi suffered like many with his mental health and for us to remember him by creating a thread to help others gets a thumbs up in my book.
    Koyo Award: @Mitch Along with Saz it was Mitch who got the new MAP up and running. Not only that he dealt with all legal matters, tax bills, banking and much more while I was having a tough time.

axelb and philosoraptor like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Best Training Log;
    There are some great training logs, I'd like to add a few, but echoing others here @Morik
    the highs and lows of training, posts videos for critique, takes it in board and great to see the progress.

Best Thread
    @Pretty In Pink
    Depression Coming Back
    A very tough subject, and very brave to post about it: bringing much needed attention to a personal/sensitive subject
    Best Newcomer
    Well @Anjelica certainly stands out as a character :D Whether people like her views or not it has generated debate.
    Moi Award For Funniest Post
    hmm hard to say,
    The thanks button thread had me laughing a lot, particularly @Simon post about @Hannibal real antics

Koyo Award For Most Helpful Mapper
    There are many on here that contribute, but @Simon has posted plenty of original video content to help others progress

Simon likes this.
  10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

In that case, I change my nomination for Best Thread Award to the "So There" thread. It's nice to see everyone supporting each other's little victories.

axelb, Pretty In Pink and Travess like this.
  11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Since this really annoys me, I will play the party pooper (and because it won't change anything anyway): Seriously considering Anjelica for an award is a bit of a slap in the face for me.
    Half her posts she insults people and is bordering on breaking site-rules.
    Considering that others get reprimands for the use of certain words alone, without them being used as an insult, I find that even more annoying.

This actually has me rather disappointed in this site and makes me wish, I could delete a lot of my old posts, because it's just a question of time, that she will become insulting of some subjects, that are dear to other members here (not only mine, not by far. She already attacked homosexuals, non-drug-users, people with other views in general... So it's not a one-time-thing).

Not what I was expecting from a site, that (so far rightfully, don't get me wrong!) praises itself for being a friendly community.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yeah I second Laitkos on this...

Also where is my damn arcade????

Van Zandt and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I've no idea where the Anjelica nominations come from apart from some sense of mischief.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I really liked the thread that was basically just asking how people were doing. Really nice idea for a thread that sadly didn't get as much attention as it deserved. :)

15. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I would have like to have nominated this one too, but refrained from it as it was created this year - unless that can be over looked?

Anjelica??? Can't see that one myself - Though to be fair, I am not really well versed in the comings and goings of any newcomers.

@Morik in an extremely transparent and open poster, there is no denying that.

Travess

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As above it runs from Jan 17 to present day. I think it qualifies.

Travess likes this.
  17. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

That's my vote for best thread then! ::Thumbs Up::

Travess

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

But isn't the reason for a discussion forum so we can hear all sides say their piece? As much as other members might have viewed Anjelica's posts in bad taste, I trust the Mod team enough that she would have been perma-banned had she crossed the line. I don't think this is the thread to air grievances - voice your disapproval by voting. As Noam Chomsky said, "If you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech for people you don't like."

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Great quote, but I also think Latikos is completely on topic for saying she doesn't agree with the nomination, she's not stopping her from Posting, just saying she disagrees with a nomination.

Freedom is speech is freedom of speech.

Fwiw, It's good to discuss things with Anjelica, but overall I wouldn't reward the name calling.

aaradia, Hannibal and Van Zandt like this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Freedom of speech is not freedom of platform. Anyway...this should be a positive thread about positive things. :)