MANTIS Child Protector

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by rne02, Nov 4, 2015.

1. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

The additional training teaches them to practise, to want to practise. They ask to practise every day.

2. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

And it keeps them coming back. Students and teachers like the method, it is technique but its the method of teaching it.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And if the child isn't grabbed in the way their parent / instructor has demonstrated?

How much is this course?

4. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

Good question, the 8 techniques are taught in a way that become a principle that cover a lot more. For example the first week its only the left hand that only grabs the right shoulder (mirror image) this is drilled in many different scenarios but ONLY left hand grabbing right shoulder. 2nd week the opposite, the right hand grabbing the left shoulder, then switching between the two with the one principle applied. Then cross grabs aren't needed to be explain, the principle the applies to the left hand grabbing left and right shoulder and the right hand grabbing both also. Then with out offering any instruction the centre of the chest, the sides of the chest, the ribs, anywhere across the front of the body. This takes two weeks and teachers, parents and instructors are shocked at the speed the learn. Then we wpply the same principle to the rear, the sides, the wrists. They end up not think but turning and applying one principle to a grab instantly and sprinting, Theres still lots more to it:) The course averages at £70

5. Simon

Before it gets taken down here is the technique.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM3Xk3hKlrk"]Bully Blocker - Anti-Bullying - Self Protection - Non Agressive - YouTube[/ame]

6. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

I would love to get you all in a hall and show you with our team. The front cover of MAI was gained by demonstrating with the boy in the picture.

7. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

That's a bad promo that we removed. There is a new promo video in final edit. Again that doesn't represent the programme in full. Its picking parts of it.

8. Simon

And this:

9. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

I know ive heard it all before but if it wasn't any good then why are the instructors coming on board. Why is it working well for clubs, why are experienced instructors wowed by it. Maybe because they have seen it first hand, taken the course and not only teaching it but also adopting a lot of the learning principles in to their own programmes... Why is that?

10. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

You write to quickly. No not 2.8 hours..... If you tell a parent to practise with their child every day for an hour they don't begin. When we say a few minutes a day they begin, and they carry on. Also the actual lessons at the academy each week. plus the train along DVD keeps the child interested in home practise and wanting to attend all classes. We've also had feedback that after 8 weeks the retention of those students is so much better and the speed of development too. Whats the problem. Shall we keep going until you get me to slip in a sentence. You can always request a call and someone will happily talk with any one. You know talking, that method of communication we developed first:)

11. Simon

Do you have anything in your system that empowers the child and gets them to be confident and vocal, rather than physical?

Bullying is disgusting and I hate it. Kids need to know who to talk to and who can help.

I think that rather than scaring parents with "your kid could get abducted" you should focus on what the problem really is.

12. Simon

Attachment, maybe.

If you have organisations on board that one can attach themselves to it can't hurt.

Then maybe your site is misleading.

13. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

Yes, projection, confidence, memorising parents mobile phone numbers, where to go, what to do. Shouting correct reflex responses rather than just responding. The techniques are taught around that kind of thing and also takes their mind off the physical subject. For example, grabed, release, sprint, crawl, sprint, cover, Push, Jump, shout memorised phone number, turn, crawl, sprint, push, Memorise a number plate, grabbed, released, switch partners. If you get what I mean.
    And yes Bullying is disgusting. We are addressing it and working with leaders of Industry, one of our representatives was at parliament 3 weeks.

14. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

I think our site isn't good enough.

15. CPMANTIS

CPMANTIS Valued Member

But our system and back up is. :) Not our words but words of those on board.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Name me one of these "top instructors"

17. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Okay, my thoughts on this:

The techniques themselves are okay from a beginner adult standpoint. They're nothing special, just some basic drills from many types of jujutsu or similar schools. That said, such techniques are invariably based on moving your weight in an effective way to unbalance your opponent while maintaining a solid base yourself, and a small kid is never going to be able to achieve that against a large adult, at least not moving the way this one does.

I'd agree with the sentiment expressed earlier that this is good foundational training for someone that wants to train as an adult, but on its own this is not going to be a reliable way for a child to escape a grown man's grip, and this claim that the system:

cannot possibly be true. I appreciate this is a marketing slogan, but this is an area in which your marketing claims need to be very precise, otherwise you'll be no better than a peddler of false cures to the dying.

What to say, what to shout, staying alert, watching out for strangers, all of these would be much more effective for kids, and those wanting to learn protective physical techniques in addition to that should probably start with Judo at a young age to give them an idea of what they can realistically achieve, moving on to some other martial arts to fill in the gaps as they get older.

Alternatively they should just have fun as a kid and learn a little common sense, because the number of children who actually run into trouble with a grown adult are very few and far between.

As it stands, this looks like a physical system which won't really help the child until they grow into at least a teen and have a lot more weight behind their movements.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Quite honestly as a 42 year old man with years of martial arts training I don't think I could get Silvio Cimac (the model on the front of MAI) in one of those armlocks let alone an 8 year old kid.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Oh I think you could do it on a kid, you aren't that past it.

:D

I agree with the general sentiment, it's bollocks.

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My thoughts for whatever my limited experience is worth because I want to weigh in:

1. As has been being said, the idea of kids pulling off these locks is laughable if it wasn't a serious thing being talked about. Just using people in this thread, I'm confident I couldn't pull that off on either Simon or Hannibal and I'm a 22 year old averaged sized person with grappling experience. The idea my nephew is meant to be able to do it is...dumb really.

2. The multiple "oh no this doesn't accurately represent us and its being taken down/worked on" thing is unnerving. Maybe its legit and in that case fair enough. There's an awareness that the promotional material is wrong. But if all the promotional material people can find is being given that response that it looks a lot more like backpeddling and PR responses. Also the fact there's an apparent awareness the material is wrong and being replaced, yet the material is only being pulled now after its been posted here, makes me lean a lot more towards the backpeddling response.

3. I'm always dubious when people have to keep trotting out the "well X person/group/organisation is using it so therefore we're right" line. It doesn't do anything for me. Martial arts has a ridiculous history of ordinary folk being taken in by systems and instructors that are full of crap. The fact a bullying organisation promotes mantis doesn't mean anything to me without knowing who exactly decided to endorse it and what their history was. Someone working for a big group is no less susceptible to being taken for a ride than if they as an individual walked into a mcdojo one day.

Its not a strong argument in support and sounds like quite a hand-wavey response. Its appealing to authority really at the end of the day I guess?

But yeah it doesn't mean anything. Showing it working means something. Assuring me it works because some group or other (and I don't really care whether its the local community centre or the marine corps) likes it doesn't.