"Manny Pacquiao Says He's 'Really Discouraging' Son from Being a Boxer"

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

The difficulty is that we aren't all the same. When it comes to brain injuries some get injured easily and obviously. Some develop progressive symptoms over time that no one used to notice. You might be lucky or you might not be and it's difficult to know whether things are/will be a concern. In some ways very similar to the problems associated with concussion.

U.S. Soccer Federation bans headers for young kids

There is a protein called Tau that forms in the brain in response to trauma and there has been research as to it's possible connection to dementia.
    Major symposia on concussion has only been occurring for the last 20 years.

As I mentioned earlier people like to get excited about the way they perceive things.

Pretty in Pink, you know what they say about those animals who cage fight eh! (They did initially allow football kicks/elbows etc to a grounded opponents head) :' O

;' )

LFD

Grond and aaradia like this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I also think boxing for many is a phase, and Manny Jr. isn't necessarily going to spend his life doing it to the point he'll end up poorly. There is an unaccountably large community of people who box for sport as well as leisure and CTE isn't some dominant effect hovering over the average Joe. Considering Manny Jr's pedigree he may not be considered average, but maybe for him boxing becomes more of a hobby than a profession, in which case more power to him, and Manny Sr.'s concerns (which are valid) aren't really that applicable. I keep hearing that line from Superman in my head when I think of this, "The son becomes and father, and the father the son". It's adorable on a certain level, what Jr. is doing and of course Dad is just being being Dad.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think until the causes are more clear, and perhaps screening could be done before kids take up sports that involve impacts to the head, it is a sensible precaution that we are extra cautious about children's brains.

If you happen to be a family member of someone who develops early-onset dementia as a result of childhood participation in sport, I don't think the fact that millions of other kids did it and had fun would be so comforting.

Adults should be allowed to do what they like, as long as they are informed.

Grond likes this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I can't see any mention of brain damage in the articles about this.

He seems to be talking just about the sacrifices you have to make as a professional boxer.

Manny Pacquiao is Discouraging His 18-Year-Old Son From Pursuing Boxing

Grond likes this.