Mangosteen Tries To Stay At It (Log)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mangosteen, Oct 30, 2017.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Best tip for pacing I've had is to run to and back from a set distance. Doesn't matter what your time is, but make sure your time back is the same as your time out.

Edit: Oh, and nice to see you back! :)

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I found the best way to keep a consistent pace is to not have a set distance at all. Then you naturally fall into a rhythm that will suit your cardio.

3. David Harrison

Sounds good, but I hate running so without a set end point I lose the will to live.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I used to ignore the first few minutes of a run because my HR would always rise, peak, then fall back a bit as I fell into my rhythm. After that, my HR would be steady and pacing was easy. Maybe the same for you Mangoman?

axelb likes this.
  5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Yeah i didnt do my warm up that day as the missus rushed me out the house but its a slow 5 minutes and so stretching before a proper run.

I do need to improve my form and pacing though so i wont make excuses for myself.
    (also on a side note, i think ive dropped 10 to 20 kg since i saw you I last saw you Mitch! It's the only thing that makes running feel easier is being super light!)

David Harrison, axelb and Mitch like this.
  6. Mangosteen

I unfrotunately need to run 1.5mile in a specific distance so its easier for my to set a distance and time goal and as David said - running with no end is an existensial hell!

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  7. Mitch

I think you gave the 20kg to me :D

A drop off and run home is a good option, I used it for running a half marathon. Get someone to drop you off the required distance from home/your goal, plus a warm up, then you have the incentive of collapsing in comfort when you get back :D

Mangosteen and David Harrison like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Aye but you should be running a 5 mile minimum every distance run anyway. That's the advice I was given by the army when I was trying to join (same requirement).

9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I found the same, usually the first 0.5 to 1 mile before my HR and pace is consistent. (Which is why I used to do a 0.5 mile steady run before races)

Useful video on gate, I prefer mid foot landing myself, I find your form breaks down as you fatigue.

Mangosteen and Mitch like this.
  10. David Harrison

I found the same. I run as little as possible, but often take brisk walks for a few miles. Sparring is also good for cardio (standup, anyway).

axelb likes this.
  11. Mangosteen

Was supposed to run 4 miles (with a stop every 5 minutes for alternating squats and lunges for 20 reps)
    My legs (hip flexors) were knackered from sprints still and running after eating was a bad idea.
    i got to 1.5miles, felt spewy and aggravated by lunging hurting my hip, decided to take a break in this session and leave it.
    I was annoyed and ran back a mile home and pushed through the mental barrier with just anger that i didnt get the days run done. That was about a 10 or 11 minute mile (didnt really time it properly again.)

Cadence is definitely too slow (around 23-25 right foot steps in 20 seconds) at best 150 strides per minute than 180.

I'm sodding off a lot of the optional work starting next week - things like 10 x 10, 20 and 40 metres sprints etc are hard sessions for pro-sprinters, not really sure why i have them in this program and not sure why being fast off the line is important to a 1.5mile run (sprinting is an entirely different skill from running).
    I'll keep the standard sessions but the extra work is illogical and super difficult to recover from.

Running home is much more enjoyable than running to a place and back for sure

Mitch likes this.
  12. Mitch

I wouldn't mess around with lunges etc during a session. Warm up maybe, but seems odd to do them during a run, it just breaks your rhythm.

Get your rhythm sorted and settle your heartbeat over a couple of miles, settle into a few runs like that, and start some interval work to improve times after that.

What programme are you following? What's the end goal?

David Harrison, axelb and Mangosteen like this.
  13. Mangosteen

It totally broke my rhythm and was super fustrating.
    It's a program from one of my uncles military books for improving 1.5 mile times but ive realised its really just a standard running program with random stuff like sprints and lunges thrown in.

14. Mangosteen

Actually is there any program you guys would recommend for improving 1.5 mile time (or beep test times).

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Honestly it's fairly simple and most the research seems to show the best endurance guys including runners follow a similar pattern when training.

not much work done at race pace but a number of sessions of longer slower runs so for you I suppose three to five miles to build the endurance , technique and the size of your gas tank so.to speak.
    Then one or I oh two sessions a week above race pace to build the power of said gas tank so 200m and 400m interval repeats.
    This site is good for combining strength and running but also has a sample faster mile program you can alter slightly for your goals.

So you want to run? Endurance Training for Strength Athletes, Part 2 – Complete Human Performance

Mangosteen, David Harrison and axelb like this.
  16. Mitch

Unless you have a tight deadline, the C25K is straightforward and works, ask @Smitfire

Get comfortable running 3 miles, then look at reducing your times with some interval training after that. Moneghetti Fartlek is one my wife liked.

axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I followed a similar plan to that @icefield posted, there's quite a few around with variations, often set over 12 weeks.

even just aiming for regular slow 3-5 mile runs well improve your 1.5 mile pace to a point.

Mangosteen likes this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I did the C25k programme during lockdown and now do 2 5k runs a week and one sprint session (various shuttle runs and circuits around a local tennis court).
    But I'm finding it really hard to bring my 5k times down. It's a mixed terrain route (some pavement, some fields, some winding woodland tracks, etc) and with a couple of kissing gates that force me to walk through them and I'm still plodding round at around 33 minutes-ish (which for 5k is pretty bad).
    Tried to fartlek the course but going faster for some sections just means I have slow right down for other bits and times stay roughly the same.
    I've looked at various "improve your 5k time!" videos and suggestions but they tend to need more commitment and weekly runs than I can manage. Running is meant to serve as a base for my martial arts training so don't want it to dominate the week. I also have issues with shin splints (still) so have to be really careful with upping running time or distance.

axelb likes this.
  19. Pretty In Pink

Silly though it may be, another really good way to improve your time is to focus on your form when running. It does two things. It forces you to improve your running technique, and it also takes your mind away from the cardio aspect. It sounds silly because we all run but when you really focus on your upright posture, your heel-toe technique and a slight tilt forward, you can cut down your time considerably with just good form.

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  20. Mitch

Don't fartlek the same route, run it as a completely different session, ideally somewhere flat. Have you got a fartlek sound file to follow?

axelb likes this.