Man lol, those guys at bullshido are relentless haha

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GoldShifter, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Phrost is kinda like Candyman. If you post the word "Bullshido" three times anywhere on the internet, he appears.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I DO keep saying that but does anyone listen? Noooooooo.......perhaps they fear my Tapout gear too much

3. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Anyone would think you'd been spying on my classes. :Angel:

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

just for the record, i think map's ui sucks too. but i love <most of> you guys though!

6. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

I find that forum generates an atmosphere of basic disrespect. If you like your school then that is all that matters.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

They call it as they see it and put their money where their mouth is.

In some ways there's more respect on there from the serious members than there is from the regulars of other forums.

They just have a low tolerance for male bovine excrement.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  8. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Well played, it took me a couple sec to get it at first haha.

9. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

Beyond simple courtesy, Respect isn't something given by default, especially when people are making claims they refuse to back up with evidence.

This is why we get under so many people's skin: those people generally have a misguided sense of entitlement to unearned respect; especially those who do Martial Arts for reasons other than actually becoming good at fighting (eg. self esteem, ego inflation, the illusion of being tough, etc.).

---

And for the record, the reason we don't have an issue with people using "bad words" is specifically because too many people like to shield themselves and their stupid ideas from criticism by hiding behind politeness and notions of undeserved "respect".

When calling nonsense on said people, it's vastly more effective to strip away such unnecessary social conventions to eliminate weasel language and get to the matter at hand. It doesn't matter if you've been "training for 30 years", if you can't actually punch someone who's sincerely trying to hurt you, you're not deserving of anyone's respect... especially if you've been claiming that you can, and have been taking other people's money to teach them.

That, and the concept of a particular word being "bad" is, in itself, nonsense [Phrost note, do not edit words into my posts unless you wish to become legally responsible for what I posted].

[Admin note - it's our site, we'll edit posts that don't adhere to our rules]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nonsense.

Do I get more respect by keeping my identity hidden, but by being frank and using the exact words on my mind? I doubt it.

11. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

Nothing you said in that second sentence refutes, or even seems to apply to, the statement you quoted.

12. Hannibal

No need to tart it up Phrost - you allowing swearing because you don't have an issue with it and the site is aimed at an older/different demographic .

MAP does have an issue with it an so no swearing. Do I agree? Not always, but dems da rulez....although at 14 I had an absolute potty mouth as did 99.9% I my school chums....and I went to a Private School too!!

13. jnp

jnp Valued Member

Greetings gentlemen and ladies,

My name is John Palmer (my username on Bullshido and here are simply my initials). I am a moderator on Bullshido, specifically the grappling fora. I have trained BJJ for 12 years, or as I like to call it, hugging men (or women) in pajamas. That's enough about me.

I would just like to clear up a common misconception about the term "Mcdojo". The term does not actually refer to a dojo/dojang/kwoon that teaches martial arts of low quality. We on Bullshido use the term "bullshido" for that. Mcdojo refers to a place of instruction that emphasizes making money, not necessarily at the expense of quality instruction either. One of our most esteemed members, a former pro fighter who goes by Omega on BS, calls his own gym a Mcdojo.

The term does not automatically imply disrespect, although sadly, many of our own members do not understand the distinction.

Thank you for your time.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks for clarifying that John. That's very helpful.

Stuart

15. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

Actually I'm 100% serious. Sites which only allow stilted, prudish language, tend to have stilted discussions. It also provides the moderator staff excuses to shut down discussions or members whose arguments they personally do not like, under the premise of "rudeness".

Open, unfettered discussion is much more effective. It's easy enough for a rational adult to scroll past a post that's nothing but empty profanity with no cogent point.

You're completely right that we're not aimed at children, nor do we intend to foster a Disney-like environment on Bullshido. The point of the website is to discuss Martial Arts: systems for employing physical violence against other people. We're not in the business of pulling punches.

16. Hannibal

One reason you don't see me much these days is I can't post from work - you are "high risk, dubious repute"....although with Der Auslander there how can you not be?

17. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I think it's important to remember that MAP and Bullshido have two very different raisons d'etre.

Bullshido is a place where the deluded and dishonest are exposed, and where those who would try to take advantage of the misinformed are, for lack of a better word, shamed. It makes sense not to censor the language on this kind of a site.

MAP is just a place for martial artists to hang out and talk about martial arts. It makes a lot more sense for a site like MAP to try and keep conversation civil and to censor language that might be offensive to some.

It makes perfect sense for two different sites striving for two very different atmospheres to have different policies on how members talk on the boards. For members of one site to look over and say that the other is doing it wrong doesn't make sense.

18. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

I'm not arguing subjective opinion on a preference for style; just stating that one particular approach is, based on years of evidence, more effective for a specific purpose: calling BS.

Besides, on the issue of preference, the free market spoke a long time ago. [insert smiley face here to make comment seem less hostile to the locals].

19. jnp

jnp Valued Member

Bullshido's original purpose was to expose fraudulent martial arts and martial artists. That is, arts or artists that claim to teach something they are not. Previously, due to the locker room nature of the site, there was a whole lot of intolerance and unnecessary bashing of martial arts that were perceived to be trained in a "non-alive" manner. Some of the bashing was probably justified. Some of it was definitely not justified.

Eventually, most of the more experienced members realized that it doesn't matter what martial art a person chooses to train. Provided a person is interested in learning legitimate fighting skills, what matters is HOW they train.

We don't care if you want to train in a martial art that preserves a cultural tradition rather than teaching you how to fight. We care when you think your cultural preservation imparts fighting skill.

Bear in mind that is not to say there can not be an overlap of the two.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, that's the beauty of the situation really. It's a free market, as you say. So people can choose. Better yet, they needn't choose. Many people belong to both communities. I do myself. I haven't posted there in donkey's years. (Actually, I may never have posted there.) But I certainly read plenty over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.