Man lol, those guys at bullshido are relentless haha

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GoldShifter, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

And that don't bother you? Why do people have to swear? Why do we have to get used to that kind of behavior?

Here is the problem. The

- 1s time that someone swears at you, you are mad.
    - 50th times that someone swears at you, you get used to it.
    - 100th times that someone swears at you, you swear back.
    - 1000th times that nobody swears at you, you swear to everybody.

Pretty soon you will become the problem. If an environment can change you, it's a bad environment.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

No, but I have heard of people getting their face kicked in quite horrifically because their training wasn't sufficient when they are forced to defend themselves. It's not much better.

Bullshido is ok, but I'm not a fan of the swearing. And they definitely use the term "Mcdojo" far too much.

3. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Cussing on a public forum is low class and shows a lack of a vocabulary.
    People do not always join schools for fighting.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I lived in the Bronx man, swearin' don't bother me none.

To be fair, I use the word 'the' a lot. It doesn't mean I have the small vocabulary, it just means it's my favorite word.

5. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Being on an internet message board where swearing is allowed makes you swear at everybody? Nonsense.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A friend of mine his son got into a fight and was took down to the ground. Someone kicked the back of his head and killed him (too much blood inside the skull).

If he knew that he should protect his head with his arms while he was on the ground, he may be still alive today. Sometime life and death is just the difference between "you know how" and "you don't know how".

7. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I think they're doing great things, like calling out "McDojos", but I think the only reason it hit kind of a soft spot is because, our usage of McDojo and theirs differs. We on MAP tend to reserve it, but on Bullshido, they use the term very often. That's probably why it hit a soft spot for me. I think at that time I thought the way they use the term McDojo was like the way we use it, and keep it reserved, me not being a regular on their site. I thought that they used the term McDojo as a way to say that the instructors and owners were just useless fighters living in their own little fairy land thinking they could fight/defend themselves. A reason I took offense to this is because I've known the Pallens for years, and my mother more so. The Pallens have a strong standing in the Bay Area for being good fighters. And to have that spat on, that was just a little much for me. Call it my Baptism by fire to Bullshido :p. (This was just to explain why I took some offense to it)

I'm not highly fond of the swearing though, I try to keep my swearing to a low, but all it takes is me swearing once, and then I'm swearing like the floodgates of heaven have opened, only around friends though.

8. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I grew up in Brooklyn NYC that doesnt mean i have to lower my standards.

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree! We already have enough "conflict" in our daily life. If at our leisure time (such as online discussion) we still have to imvolve such conflict, I just don't see any reason why we need to do that.

10. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I checked out Bullshido and frankly I kinda think its bullshido. I saw their scoreing system and I think t has some good points and is actually kind of generous in a way. However it seemed to me that all the posts were from regular Joes (meaning not a hand selected member of some sort of committee from Bullishido) who had attended the scool at one point or another, I saw a lot of differing opnions as well on the Bullshido site, in fact it was common from the threads I read to see one guy say it was a McDojo and another student say he loved it. Anyway don't take a bashing from Bullshido as gospel I wouldn't anyway.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Why would it? Profanity is an arbitrary linguistic construct - If I say "Oh sugar" you know exactly what I mean but one arrangement of syllables you have decided is offensive for no good reason than it has been designated thus

I curse a blue streak day to day but it certainly does not mean I cannot articulate

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

My answer to anybody who thinks you shouldn't swear is against MAP ToS.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I like more "peaceful" environment and I'll try to avoid "conflict" as much as I can. I don't see any reason for me to swear like a 20 years old. May be I'll learn how to swear more in my next life, but not in this life of mine.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you express a sentiment that is negative or critical than all you are arguing about now is the delivery system - saying "Sensei X is an unmitigated fraud" and saying "Sensei X is a bleeping fraud" are essentially the same sentiment and message

I rarely swear on MAP because the policy says I cannot, not because I choose not to - lack of profanity does not make one better, more enlightened or more articulate; it just means you don't swear

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I don't see why people are getting so worked over the fact that you can swear on Bullshido , it's a different environment and TOS , much like swear alot (and really do mean alot) at work due to the environment/atmosphere I work in , but very rarely out of work.
    There are issues over there , most of which are recognised and addressed by the more senior members , but rules of thumb seem to be
    1/ Don't say anything you can't prove/back up
    2/ Don't say anything stupid
    If you can stick to those , you shouldn't go far wrong.

16. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Haha, as Spongebob and Patrick would say, "It is a sentence enhancer", I agree with you on this Hannibal, when I use curse words in a sentence, it is probably because I can't think of a more useful word to put into context or I was just caught in the moment.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

oddly, sometimes swearing makes things seem more articulate. two examples: the 'deadwood' series; the novel 'blood meridien'.

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Swearing vocally or in written form is almost entirely different.

A slip of the tongue is more by chance than to physically type

The concious thought has control.

If one cannot cintrol their concious thought while writing, then do they really have the discipline to hold back vocally?

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

"against MAP ToS"

Isn't that a bit awkward to bring up in polite conversation? How do people handle it in the "real world"?

:woo:

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

This was my issue with them. A long time ago I lurked there and added my two cents on a thread (something about why wrist locks wouldn't work "in the streets" or similar). Despite sharing my experiences on how I have pulled these off once in a while and why it's a tool just like anything else, the next thing I know I'm being told I train in a McDojo, don't train with aliveness, no that wouldn't work on the streets, and a few other catch phrases. Meanwhile I was boxing regularly and training in Kyokushin (neither would I call a McDojo by any means) and was a rookie cop tussling with bad dudes during our big gang clean up operations.

Then you learn that a lot of the most prolific posters type more than train. Some of those guys couldn't knock a hat off your head with a punch. No thanks. They do have the occasional interesting read but I threw the towel in there. Bullshido is like an army of Street Stylists and Taiji Lous.

EDIT: To be fair it could be better now, as that was years ago. Still it was my first MA forum and it put me off so badly from them that I avoided them for a few years after until I found MAP and one or two others, MAP now being all I really participate in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.