Man lol, those guys at bullshido are relentless haha

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GoldShifter, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

They only believe techniques had been used in cage fight. If a technique had never been used in MMA, by their definition, it's non-effective technique. If you talk about "reverse head lock", they will say that technique is not effective. When you use the word "guillotine" instead, they will stop to argue with you. IMO, anything that's foreign in their MMA world, it's bad by their definition.

They assume you are bad until you can prove that you are not. I just don't see any reason to use your warm face to touch someone's cold ass (popular old Chinese saying).

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I kind of like the 'step up and prove it' aspect. It might be irritating to people who truly are experts in their fields, but there's a far greater number of people eager to pretend to be experts than there are experts. Perhaps that's just a novice's perspective though, as otherwise it's very difficult to discern gems from dross. I don't have to suffer through proving my own competence, and can just read a forum from folks who have been 'vetted' so to speak. :]

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That's the environment that you have to prove yourself before people can accept you. IMO, a better environment should be that people assume you have certain knowledge until proved otherwise.

Sometime to prove yourself and to barg about yourself is very hard to distinguish (how many fights that you have had. How many people that you have killed., ...). Also what's the point that you try to prove yourself to some total strangers?

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I dunno. In the wider MA community just about everyone claims to be training in something with some combat efficacy. On the other hand, if you pick any random school or martial artist out of the phone book, it's usually pretty safe to assume that claim will be false. You'll be disappointed more if you show up expecting competence, IME.
    So while it may seem cynical, if you assume any claims of adequacy are false until proven otherwise you'll be right most of the time.

Obviously this is safe with regards to prospective training, not if you're about to fight someone.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

There is a time and a place to give honest criticism of a MA school or practitioners. People asking if they should join a particular school, people coming on a MA forum pretending they know everything but can't bother to study under anyone qualified, etc.

That said, I am of the opinion that there is a segment of the MA community that spends FAR too much time worrying about other peoples training instead of focusing on their own.

6. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

This has not been my experience at all. There are plenty of guys on Bullshido who are not MMAers. I talk to judo guys, FMA guys, CMA guys, karate guys, etc., etc., etc. Bullies are not obsessed with MMA; they are obsessed with aliveness. They are unimpressed by techniques which are not tested in an alive, full-resistance context.

They assume that any claims of efficacy which cannot be substantiated are false, which I think is perfectly reasonable.

7. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

A word of advise: publicly insulting or belittling a moderator is not a good way to start participation. If you have remarks or questions, it is best to send a PM.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You (general YOU) can assume human being are good in nature. You can also assume human being are bad in nature. You may be much happier if you assume that people around you are all good people.

The problem is after you have spend all your energy trying to prove yourself to others (I still don't know why you have to do that), you may brag about yourself at the same time without knowing. After you have proved yourself, most people may hate you just because your bragging. It's a lose-lose situation.

9. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

It's perfectly reasonable to doubt something without proof but you can only say that it is unsubstantiated(even things like people claiming to levitate, though we would mostly all agree sounds absurd). To assume it's either true or false is not logically sound(of course if they are claiming being kidnapped by aliens, it is a harder story to swallow).

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Agreed. A little more in detail like my post #12

Granted, many of us have met-faced martial artists of low-charecter, high ego, etc. At first, to me, Bullshido seem to be that of a witch hunt. I mostly disliked the harsh words of profanity.

I dont mind a occasional slip of curse word, but to actually write it in many posts within one thread seemed to be over doing it

That said, I occasionally lurk over there and get entertained

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Young Noob, calling a MOD to account after he's made a perfectly reasonable request also breaks the ToS you agreed to when you joined.

If you have a problem with the a Moderator, or the moderation of one of your posts, then please contact one of us by PM or e-mail (as outlined iin the ToS).

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That's how I see it too. I don't know about you guys, I do have problem when someone uses words such as fool, idiot, stupid, ...

My 3 lb Yorkie (my avatar) will bark to any dog who tries to get close to her. If my dog always assumes that all other dogs are bad, that's a terrible life to live.

13. OwlMAtt

Bullshido has been very accepting to me, and I haven't proven anything. But then, I haven't made any bold claims that require proof. Perhaps there's a lesson there for prospective Bullshido posters.

14. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I haven't posted on bullshido in a long time but I had no issues there. To be honest there is no issues with TMA folks posting there and there are even special forums for TMA. However if you venture in to YMAS be prepared for all sorts of the worst behavior.

Also expect any claims you make to be challenged in any forum.

I told them, as I did here, that I am old, a BJJ white belt, wrestled in HS and served in the US Marine Corps. No issues whatsoever.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's a myth they are all "MMA fanboys" - they just expect burden if proof in statements. In essence it's no different than MAP only they swear a lot and have a forum specifically designed to flame each other.

If you post nonsense you get called on it; simple

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I haven't got a problem with Bullshido. It's not a tone I'm interested in particularly. But the general idea of a McDojo has been blown out of all useful proportion.

17. OwlMAtt

I would have to agree that the way Bullshido uses the term "McDojo" renders it entirely useless. It has become a general term for a club they don't like.

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It seems like they flame more upon all other martial arts but MMA

19. OwlMAtt

As I said above, what Bullshido wants is honesty and realism. Their flames are for those who claim to be able to realistically apply something they have never practiced in a realistic way. They respect MMA more than many traditional arts because proving the effectiveness of technique in a realistic way is part of the sport. For the same reason, you're unlikely to hear a Bully talk trash about judo, boxing, wresting, BJJ, Kyokushin, or muay Thai.

But then, they don't talk trash about my aikido, either, because I'm not delusional or dishonest about it. Ultimately, Bullshido takes exception to delusion and dishonesty, not any particular martial art.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No more so than here - they just swear more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.