Making your punch/kick bag more solid?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Hey folks. After a while of brutal us my punching bag has gone extremely soft. Normaly I use to just buy a new bag because I was too lazy to refill it but now I don't want to waste any cash.

How do you guys harden up your bags after a good solid run of use?
    Do you fill it up with something hard or what?

Thanks fellas.

2. jcurtis

jcurtis Valued Member

Most bags are filled with pieces of rags with sand bags in the middle for weight. if you want to harden your bag up i would suggest just taking a bunch of your old tattered clothes and cutting or tearing them up into little pieces and start stuffing.

Personally i prefer my bag to have a little more give, its a 100lb bag and if its too hard when i kick it swings too much and is harder to work with sometimes. If its a litte softer it absorbs some of the blow and doesnt swing everywhere. i find myself able to get a little more kicking in instead of trying to catch the bag. If i want the bag to move ill give it a push with my hands or a little push kick.

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Thing is I use my punching bags for shin conditioning. I love it when the bag swings around because I kick it on the way towards me.

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Bump.

Anyhoo, about 5 minutes ago a broke my punching bag off its straps (no its not a cheapo) so I will be buying a new bag. But for future refference.....bump.

5. nightcrawlerEX

nightcrawlerEX Valued Member

Sand...

I personally want to fill a bag with rocks. I know it sounds weird but nothing else seems to be hard enough... Maybe Gravel

6. cambece

cambece New Member

mine has cement dust in it, hard as a motha****er, cant punch without gloves or you will be missing skin

Cambece

7. Jutsuka

Jutsuka New Member

Heres what I do and its worked pretty good. If you can find a cardboard roll out of the middle of a roll of butchers paper. If you can find one around the same height as your bag. Cut it down if need be.

Empty the bag save for a few rags at the bottom. put the cardboard tube down the middle and fill with sand or dirt. for weight, then pad around it witht the rags you got out of it in the first place. This will make the bag harder and a bit heavier.

Have the tube down the middle disperses the rags and evens the bag out a bit.

8. uki

uki Banned Banned

i once filled up mine with corn and left it hanging outside overnight, when i woke up it was torn all to hell and a flock of chickens was eating it... so don't use corn.