Making 'Tsuki' AIKI

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikidoka-je, Feb 2, 2013.

1. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

This is an article I wrote for my blog. I have decided to post it here in hopes that it may be of some help. :)

Aikido Tsuki

----------​

Tsuki is simply the Japanese word for "thrust" or "punch". Just like blocks, strikes and kicks, an Aikido-Ka can develop their Tsuki and become a good Uke and later make them "AIKI" so that they are safe to use as Tori.

It is wise to set a schedule for practicing Tsuki. First week practice simply doing Tsuki, second week add resistance with weighted wrist bands, third week practice on breaking boards with Tsuki. The schedule should be continued until you are capable of breaking the board. After you can strike hard it is time to make the Tsuki 'AIKI', doing this takes allot of practice and devotion. Begin doing the same schedule but turn the striking into pushing. Eventually you should be able to push your attacker down quickly with the motion of a Tsuki instead of breaking the attackers' bones.

There are four variations a Tsuki practiced in our system.

• Tsuki
    • Ryo Tsuki 1
    • Ryo Tsuki 2
    • Ryo Tsuki 3

The first one "Tsuki" is a standard punch done Karate style. It can be done Chudan (middle) Jodan (upper) and Gedan (lower).

Ryo Tsuki 1 is where you use both hands to throw two Tsuki. ~ Try to mix them up in your training (right hand Chudan Tsuki, left hand Jodan Tsuki etc).

Ryo Tsuki 2 is the boxing style "Old One Two".

Ryo Tsuki 3 Is where you quickly throw two Tsuki out to your right (Migi) and left (Hidari). When using this variation against multiple opponents, make sure they don't grab you! It is intended to be more of a distraction.

- The aim of this article is NOT to teach the martial arts. It is to be used as a resource for those already practising the art to better understand and develop their technique. I am not responsible for misuse of these training techniques. -

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Could you share a video of yourself or someone doing this at the various levels? Of particular interest would be the Aiki level against someone from another art, such as TKD.

3. aikidoka-je

I really wish I could, but the quality of my camera would not do it any justice at all.

Have been wanting to do videos for a long time ~ just havn't had the money for a good camera.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Cameras are getting cheaper, but until you get one can you show us a video of someone else then? Since this Aiki Tsuki must be something you've been taught and there are examples of?

5. aikidoka-je

It is similar to how Shomen Ate is performed by Tori but with the "Tsuki motion instead.

I don't believe there are any videos of it because most Aikido-ka prefer only the 'Ate' motion.

Where I used to train it was done because we believe every move should be made 'AIKI' and we should always look for variations in techniques. ~ It is a reminder to that.

'AIKI' Tsuki can improve many techniques, such as Iriminage.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

How is it made "aiki"?

7. aikidoka-je

With allot of practice. ;)

Think of Tori reacting to a Tsuki with his own Tsuki to the Uke's stomach and doing a sort of Iriminage with it.

8. Dean Winchester

How is that specifically aiki though? To me aiki carries certain connotations.

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I don't get it. Is there a video or cgi of this?

10. aikidoka-je

I know it kinda seems like I'm being vague here (i hate it too!), but one has to know allot about the Aikido philosophy (i think) to understand what I'm getting at.

In the Martial Arts there is Do and there is Jutsu. Jutsu is the technique and Do is the way.

The Aikido that is practiced the way O Sensei taught and intended it uses the Martial Arts techniques and applications of Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu and the spiritual philosophies of Shinto and Oomoto.

BUT you can take what you have learned in the Aikido and go beyond the Daito Ryu techniques. For example: if you know Karate and apply Aikido to it, you can do Aiki-Karate.

In a real situation, aikido would be 90% atemi (striking). it is important to understand Atemi completely. You do this by developing it starting with (in this case) 'Tsuki'.

If it has been practiced long enough and hard enough, all of that power can eventually be concentrated into softer, less leathal moves. ~ This is how Aikido can become a highly effective self-defense.

-----

I started Tae Kwon Do not to long ago, here you see why. If one wants to really know their Aikido techniques well they need to have striking down, know it's mechanics in order for their defenses to work on it.

It has taken me a long time to realize this myself ~ Aikido is not magic.

The 'striking way' evolves into the 'harmony, energy way' but only through hard work.

11. Dean Winchester

You are being vague, it has nothing to do with having a deep understanding of Aikido.

That's one way of looking at it but it tends not to be so black and white.

How? What specifically would make it "Aiki-Karate"?

I think it would be useful if you define what you feel aiki is and how you are using that term.

That last paragraph has little to do with self defence to be honest.

How?

If you understand these things then you should be able to break it down a bit?

How is that "aiki"?

12. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Sounds like he is talking about the principle of sen/timing, I think its sen no sen when you attack the person as soon as they attack you. Sen is something that does appear to be a major component of Aiki. Even though in an Interview Osensei said there was no Sen. Koyo spoke alot about it.

Aiki Karate though thats just funny

13. Dean Winchester

That did cross my mind but I didn't want to influence his comments by pointing it out. :)

He seems to have something in mind but is not conveying it with the necessary specificity, IMO.

Is he referring to sen (initiative) or hyoshi (timing), possibly a mix of both.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  14. embra

embra Valued Member

What on earth is "a sort of iriminage"? Iriminage is a hallmark of Aikido and there is no "sort of". Is there a 'sort of" Ikkyo, a "sort of" Shihonage, a "sort of" Kokyonage? - there can be differences of interpretation but surely its better to be clear about where you are coming from?

Just to clear up matters, my Aikido days are now beyond me at nearly 54 years old - so I leave it to others to explore this point more fully, so my input shouldn't be taken too seriously - its to easy to train behind the keyboard. Moreover, Im on my many travels again, and only get a modicum of training (largely Taichi only these days) organised far away and at great cost.

15. embra

embra Valued Member

The difference between these 2 terms may come down to interpretation of the Japanese used in the teaching transmission. To get to the essential meaning, someone really has to understand the usage through good transmission of teaching and real practise absorption - Koyo was really well-versed in this.

I have in recent times encountered translation and interpretation as a source of confusion and uncertainty a lot, in traditional CMA, where original texts date back to Taosist texts written in ancient Chinese and very few folk (seriously small number) are skilled in the a) the language translation/interpretation to English AND b) the physical martial interpretation.

It is a problem, because folk can very easily pick up incorrect interpretation - and then teach incorrectly. Being objective in these matters is not trivial.

16. Dean Winchester

Yep it could well.

It pops up in JMA too, certain kanji used in a specific way, hidden meanings etc that's one reason I'm glad my teacher is versed in such things as it opens up what you are studying.

Very good point.

17. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

So true Koyo would have enlightned us all in this debate ..remembered ..:hat:

Smurf

18. aikidoka-je

Some things are hard to put into words.

I saw a movie once, it was about Karate. It made me think of AIKIDO. It was called Kuro-Obi.

When Karate is used to stave off an attacker, it's true beauty is reveald.

Iriminage is the 'entering throw'. It is more than possible to enter with a Tsuki to apply pain in order to complete the technique with ease. :)

You can say there is no 'sort of' but you can also say it is always 'sort of' since budo can never truly be perfected.

-----

AI KI - Joining spirit. It can be applied to all techniques.

I suppose the only answer to "how can Tsuki be AIKI" is "become the Tsuki".

- I am not trying to debate anyone. I have been taught the Martial Arts from a completely different view from many on here, so please don't take offense. It can be very confusing (it was for me) be plese forgive me and let's enjoy the discussion. -

19. mattt

mattt Valued Member

How long have you been training?

20. Dean Winchester

There's an awful lot of wishy washy vagueness going on and very little else.

It can never be perfected but it can be wrong.