Major Problems with DOMS

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tonyv107, Feb 1, 2012.

1. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I've been doing 531 wendlers 3 days a week for quite some time now. My favorite part of the program is the fact that I am making a steady progression. Another thing I liked about it is that it almost never left me with to much soreness.

For the past 2 months, I've been getting major DOMS after lifting. It has interfered with my MA training which I have dropped all together. I have been working night shifts which has messed with my sleep routine and I can't always make it to my MA classes. My diet is fine. I have never had these problems with DOMS before and I'm wondering what I should do.

On the bright side, since I've had some more focus on lifting since November I have gained some mass, but I want to get back into MA training.

P.S. the soreness is always related to the LIFT of the day ( Squat/DL/Bench/Military)

2. LOL...
    Look at the upside Tony, you must be doing something right :).
    Here is what Jim Wendler has to say about 5,3,1 & some extra assistance work in his latest article on T-Nation:

Serious soreness, gains in size and strength...
    There you go, you have it all! ;)

Osu!

(*) the article also has some advice on how to mitigate DOMS.

3. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I agree it is working I just hate that the DOMS is keeping me from training MA

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm also doing 5/3/1 on a 3 day week cycle and get DOMS occasionally, worst day was Squat first week next day, could barely walk. Found a little bit of stretching after workout has helped

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Without wanting to sound harsh but being sore is part of lifting, you just need to get on with it and take your recovery more seriously.

Examples please of the following: recovery work, normal assistance work, diet and sleep.

6. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

That's not harsh, I came here looking for answers. I know what kind of soreness is acceptable after lifting heavy, what I've been experiencing is far worst. After squat day I can barely sit down.

I'm on the 3 lift a week routine and I follow 531 Wendell's to the T. I start all my sessions with 5-7 minutes on a elliptical or treadmill to get the blood flowing and end the session with 5-7 minutes cool down.

Squat day. 2 sets warming up then 3 sets of 5 or 3, etc. I've been doing boring but big like Wendlers books so
    Assistance work is the same compound lift except 5x10 at 60% 1rep max weight.
    Stiff leg deads 5x10
    Planks or some other an work

Deadlift 2 sets warm up, I don't assist with additional deads becaus Dl is killer, I choose to do back squats instead 5x10
    Leg curls 5x10
    Ab work

Bench 2 sets warm up, lift heavy. I assist with DB bench, decline or more bench at 5x10
    Rows 5x10
    Tricep pull downs
    Curls

Military 2 sets warm up, lift heavy. Assist with 5x10 military at 60% 1rep max
    Pullups
    Dips
    Curls.

Diet is fine IMO. Lots of milk, eggs, chicken and lean beef and carbs. I eat a lot of greens and veggies as well.

For recovery I try stretching and foam rolling but nothing seems to help.

Sleep might be my weakest link, I normally get 6 hours sometimes more, sometimes less.

Posted from my iPhone so please forgive any grammar fails.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You may find you need more sleep than that when your lifting heavy and training MA. The nightshift thing could be screwing with your body clock and affecting your recovery potential. Are you drinking enough, have you tried a hot bath after lifting, are you doing a suitable cool down after your session, are you having a rest day each week?

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

foam rolling always helps with my DOMS

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

True, but it is a bit like locking the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Frodocious's advice in regard to hydration, cooling down correctly/stretching and an improved sleep pattern can all be taken care of before the DOMS sets in.

It is difficult for anyone on a night shift to get a correct sleep pattern, as the normal circadian rhythm is thrown completely out of whack.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93727

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'm a great believer in hot baths and yoga, personally.

11. seiken steve

Hrmm that's not BBB but big as I understand it but I may be wrong.

Hrrm sorting your sleep out (trust me I know how hard this when you work shifts, I do too as well as a day job) should help. Investing on a decent ZMA may be beneficial (look for one that doesnt have added copper, which some of them do these days)

Honestly I'd just cut back on the volume, if it's too much for you then drop some.

You say the diet is fine but is it really? How many grams of protein do you get in a day? You know a rough calorie count?

12. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I'm going to take up yoga with my GF. Perhaps that will help. Ditto on the hot showers.

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I get between 180-200g protein a day. I don't count calories like crazy but a rough estimate puts me at around
    3000-3400

14. seiken steve

And what do you weigh? Lol forgot to ask earlier. Sorry for 20 questions.

15. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Lol. 203 at the moment. I weighed 183 when I started night shifts in August.

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I find hot baths work a lot better than showers, add some muscle relaxing bath salts or foam and soak for a decent amount of time.

17. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Mmmmm if I have time i do the hot bath. Thy feel great