Maintaining muscule mass

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, Apr 7, 2008.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

So I think Im finally at the point where I need to stop lifting weights (Ive been told if I were to bulk up anymore it would be close to the point of it being unattractively bulky)

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips for maintaining the bulk I have now, without gaining anymore muscle mass.

At the moment im doing the 7 main compound exercises, deadlift, squats, bench press, military press,dips, chin ups, bent over rows, + some ab exercises
    Im doing 3 sets of 8 reps.
    Im doing this 3-4 times a week (for the past 8 months give or take)

Will I need to change my routine or just lower the weight slightly and continue doing the same weight from now on to maintain everything?

2. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

this is something thats been on my mind since i started going to the gym, keeping yourself at the point that you want.

answers pls :p

3. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

Keep the intensity the same, ie keep the same weight load. Drop the frequency of your routines. You should be able to almost halve how often you do weights and still maintain your mass.

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I have no personal experience in merely maintaining gains, but if I were to try to, this is pretty much what I would do.

Koolaid - to clarify: you've been training for 8 months and are now at the stage where you're nearly becoming unattractively bulky? Have I understood that right? If so, would you mind posting some stats?

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

lol. Funny.

6. dbowles

dbowles New Member

Watch your calories, and try to not to overeat/undereat.

7. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

I have only been seriously training to bulk up for the past 8months, I was doing weight training before hand, just not as commited as I was.

unattracticely bulky is a matter of opinion.
    It probably isnt as bad as I made it sound, but I had a friend tell me they it will look weird if I get bigger, and I do agree with this with some parts of my body (with exception with my arms)

8. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Thanks for the info.

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Why not train purely for BRUTAL strenght. Very low reps, with maximal weight. Cut down your callorie intake, and you wont put on any muscle, but will be able to maintain your current size.

Mainting is extremly boring, and you'll probably find yourself giving up weights if you just do a half assed workout, with the exact same weights, with the exact same exercises. Training for brutal strength will help keep you challanged. If you dont eat enough to put on additional muscle, then you wont, no matter how you train.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

QFT - this is what I've been doing for the last 5 months or so - I've actually lost weight.