MAI taking the micky

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Mar 16, 2005.

?

Should the fight video be posted ???

1. Yes I would like to see the video online

53 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No thanks I'd rather not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Recently I was asked to do a charity demo bout for Tony Sykes, the brother of the editor of Martial Arts illustrated. This involved me partaking in a demo padded stick event. as it was for the Tsunami victims I obviously agreed.

Bearing in mind I was inform it was a demo and I came out of retirement to take part in what I understood to be a fun event, I was lets say a little angry at the article that followed in this months edition.

Rather than bore you to death, I will just give you my responce letter that I have e-mailed to the magazine today. Now whether they print it or not is another matter, bearing in mind I am having a go at the brother of the editor who I thought better of, until now:

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

NEVER trust the press!

You've been stitched up like a kipper mate.

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Sounds like it an all - I look to seeing their response if any when I get me next mag.

4. Pat OMalley

It really gets me when people try to build a reputation on other peoples backs as opposed to building a reputation on their efforts.

But yep I walked right in to that one I am affraid, wont happen again I can tell you.

regards

Pat

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hey - not all charity events are gonna turn out like this ya know (looks scared at MAP Events thread)...

6. Pat OMalley

No prob's young lady, once I make a commitment I stick to it come hell or high water.

regards

Pat

7. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

Any chance we can see the article mate?

Oh, and some footage of the demo? :D

8. Cool Dude

Cool Dude New Member

It happens to good guys...

Master Pat,
    I went through a similar experience not too long ago - a victim of trash talking in another forum. I admit that it hit me really hard. But this I have to say: you do have a hard earned reputation and you have my respect. You are still the man!

sincerely,

Guro Roger Agbulos
    LAMECO/ESKRIMA DE CAMPO JDC-IO

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

:D making a rep out of pat?

hmmm...

i hope you did the filipino thing! challenge the guy to a public deathmatch! :D

10. Jayevan79

Jayevan79 New Member

It will take a lot more than a sham article like that to put a good man down!

cheers Pat!

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

you're right! it takes many many many many many bottles of beer and lambanog!

pat! i want to invite you to an exhibition match. friendly lang ha! when you get here! we'll supply the weapons! :D :D :D

12. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Bloody hell Pat, I am fuming for you! aaaaarrghhhhhhhh.

You have been well and truly set up and made a laughing stock of. MAI must and have a duty to print your response, I would also go one step further and offer to do a "proper" charity demonstration under proper rules with an unbiased ref and challenge the guy "that beat you" who is probably walking around telling every one he beat Pat O Malley no problem, his ego needs destroying before he damages your reputation, he will not destroy your reputation as you do have a good name and reputation going back years, I remeber reading about you a very long time ago, I would certainly do something about , I just could not let it lie and become a laughing stock. What would upset me now is all the people that I have spoken out about and who have taken offence at my comments and the same people hate and disrespect me, would now be rubbing their hands together having a great laugh at my expense. More than ever you need a challenge match.

13. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Bad luck Pat. I wouldn't worry though, there a lot of *cough* mild exaggerations in MAI, so one more won't really be noticed.

By the way, did you do an article on using mobile phones as weapons in MAI a few years ago?

14. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Damn sorry to hear that Pat... its very dishonourable to do that but then journalists dont exactly have the highest of reps or honour... (actually should that be media and not journalists...)... it would be interesting to see how they respond... I may just go and buy a copy to see if they act fairly... also if you see a response please let us know so I know which mag edition to buy.. cheers mate...

15. Pat OMalley

Now you are going back some, thats when Mobiles were like house bricks hehe

Regards

Pat

16. stump

stump Supersub

Set-ups like this are bang out of order

17. Pat OMalley

I will try to track some footage down, I am sure one of the parents of the many kids who tok part has some footage somewhere. The article I will put up next week unless someone else has the time to transcribe it, as I am off for the weekend.

Best regards

Pat

18. Pat OMalley

You know last night the Scots blood in me was taking hold and I was close to getting in the car and sorting it our old school. But looking on it today I feel they are trying to set me up for a return bout so they can cover it via the mag and video in order to sell more mags etc.

This old dog will have his day, but I am not going to play into his hands. I may be older but I am not stupid. As they say, the pen is far mightier than the sword, and if MAI won't print my responces I am dam sure Combat will.

Anywho Shootodog, I will take you up on your demo, I am sure it will be a very close contest and the eventual winners may turn out to the our good lady's:D

Mabuhay

Pat

19. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of! It was really cool. If I remember, the ones you used in the article were HUGE!! And it wasn't that long ago either. I remember thinking that I probably wouldn't ever get a mobile phone. :D

I've been sorting out the loft and I think I still have that copy, so I'l try and post it this weekend if anyone's interested (with Pat's permission).

20. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Dont you mean they were like brick houses... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.