Macro-nutrient timing question- alcohol

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, May 15, 2007.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Okay, okay, I know that drinking is always bad for lifters. It stops fat oxidization, kills testosterone, fills you up with empty calories, and disrupts your sleep cycle. However, I also like to drink it. With that in mind, is there a better time to drink alcohol?

For example, if I lift in the afternoon or evening, I eat carbs right after I lift because my body needs them at that time and can process them most efficiently. So, is drinking at that time preferable? Or is it better to wait, until an off day for example, so that there isn't alcohol in my system during the time directly the lift, while my body is using the testosterone.

Basically, any advice about when to lift if I know I'm going out would be appreciated.

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I've thought about this before, I suspect it would be first thing in the morning, purely from a health viewpoint. The maximum amount of alcohol would have been processed by the body, so damage to sleep patterns would be minimal, The sugars would have a better chance of being used by the body as fuel during the day and you would have a day of food and drink to replace any nutrients or water.

As far as lifting goes I think most people lift before they go out, that way their hangover is on a rest day, they still have a pump for going out and the body gets over 24 hours to recover it's hormone levels.

Of course, having beer on your cornflakes isn't usually considered healthy :D

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

If you choose to drink, then altering the time of day is like going out in a hurricane with an umbrella to stop getting wet. That said, I would avoid alcohol the night before a workout if you are working out early on. Aside from that, there isn't much you can really manipulate. Enjoy the beer :D

4. Cuchulain82

I do choose to drink. I know that's blasphemous to say around a H&F forum, but hopefully everyone will still talk to me, warts and all.

I was more curious about any difference from day to day. If I lift on Day 1, is it "better" (or "less bad"?) to drink on Day 0, Day 1, or Day 2. You said that Day 0 is a bad idea because it will probably effect the lift on Day 1, right?

:D My birthday's coming up, and there's going to be a keg at my house. I was trying to figure out if it was better to lift the day of the party or the day before (if there is a difference at all, that is).

5. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

From studies I've read, alcohol doesn't seem to directly affect your recovery process (there may be some detriment to protein synthesis, although how much is questionable). As long as you have a good recovery meal after a workout, drinking afterwards will not be that bad. The main thing is, don't replace your recovery meal with alcohol.
    Trying to workout with a hangover is hard. So probably do your workout either the day before, or sometime on the day before your drinking binge.

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

If it's your birthday then you're overthinking all this. Do what you want an enjoy. I'd make it simple-keg clean followed by chugging a cup, repeat 'til finished with keg.

7. Cuchulain82

That is a great idea! Everyone at my law school already thinks I'm the #1 meathead in the class because I won the keg toss during Octoberfest first semester (the keg was empty, fyi). Don't you think that if I press a keg, the beer will get all foamy and such? :p bad idea jeans.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try to workout that day because I like it. That's as good a reason as any.

8. Ad McG

That was my point really. You're way over-thinking here, just work out when you want to as it won't make a great deal of difference in this one off situation.

BTW - I will still speak to you because I'm probably one of the biggest drinkers who posts here :D

9. Cuchulain82

It's okay McG, I've read your posts about loving beer, the greatness of Newcastle, etc. I do like the fact that you prefaced your first response with "if you choose to drink"... I thought that was classy. :D

10. Ad McG

I liked it too :D

Beer, like anything else in life, should be taken in moderation. If this moderation happens to all come in one night, then so be it :Angel: More often than not, life and enjoyment comes before training and so it should do, unless you are a professional athlete.

11. Cuchulain82

Well, don't worry too much- I'm not a professional athelete. If anything I have to worry about it's moderation- my girlfriend just started brewing beer, and so far she's good at it. Every 10 days she needs 50 empty bottles for the next batch.

So... the advice about the best time to drink is... as early as possible? We can refer to that as the "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" timing plan.

12. Ad McG

I wouldn't even worry about it at all, it will make close to no difference.

13. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I was going to say...I didn't know you knew the meaning of moderation. :D