Mac users vs. Windows users (The truth)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by xplasma, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

If were comparing on what has the best games, I'll take the PC and day over any system. If I'm doing a special design or graphics I would use a MAC. Though right now for my needs I rather have a PC, and thats what I got,

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Ok, agreed on this one, so we come at the point where if we want to play games the PC is the first choice?

I disagree here, the console may be the easiest optioon but not the best option, it's better to upgrade your pc than buy a whole new console. As I already said before there's tons more things other than upgradabilty you can do for the games on the PC, like mod them, if you only like fighting games the console is a better option IMO, hardly any good titles of fighting games are released for the pc, and your mistaken about the upgradability of pcs, if you spend a decent amount of money [not too much] first hand the pc can last a good few years.

As I already said before the consoles desperately try to be a pc in every kind of way

Besides think about what you wanna tell your dad, ask him to spend a few hundred bucks on consoles to play games or buy a PC to help with your "research" :Angel:

|Cai|

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  3. Topher

Topher allo!

The only time i'd go near a Mac if i was hitting it with a stick.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

That's the only thing I use my computer for, so that's all I care about.

Yes, you can play games on consoles, but some games just aren't on consoles, or aren't playable without a mouse and a keyboard. Besides, you can configure all the settings you want on a computer game, you can't on a console.

PL

5. Tiong

Tiong New Member

When every man/women and there dog is using the same OS world wide no arguments hands down and hardware platform.

Then you could probably say that is the best. There is a damn lot of things that don't make the Mac the best thing in the world for gaming, price at the moment is the biggest factor but if demand rose than price would fall (we'd hope).

The PC doesn't rise to the kind of status the mac has in the design world, because PCs are at the core a mixed line of components at the heart of it all you can't gaurantee that every PC user will be running the same motherboard and chip. PC's have become quite individual to a person, where as a Mac has become a more "standard" tool within a certain industry.

How many years could you seriously keep a customer waiting as you develop for each and incarnation of AMDs new genetic electricity eating junk food consuming instruction set or Intels new super spanky jingle accompanied two letter abbreviation rehashed version of Hyper Threading?

The MAC vs PC argument is a trade off on visual appearance, need, money and knowledge of the product. Everyone knows how to click the windows start bar and open up Space Pinball (in a stable enviroment anyway) not everyone will ever be familiar with the Mac docking bar interface.

On a hardware level? Again a very mute point. PC's have two main processer choices AMD or Intel, Duron or Celeron? Athlon XP or P3/4? Thoroughbred or Hyper Threaded? MP or Xeon? The list is massive. In the world of the Mac the decision is limited, G4 or G5? Singular or Dual? Then you can pick your graphics card and more recently HDD?? (Any clarification on this please?) etc

My point is the PC comes in thousands of variations a quick flick through a Motherboard Manufacturer such as ABit is ample proof thats more choice on offer than there are days in a week. If you had like apple, one company which made a specific motherboard, chip etc than there is a level platform on which to base a Mac vs PC argument.

My 2c.

6. Mordred

Mordred New Member

:D My thoughts exactly

Most graphic designers I know use PC, if you spend the amount on a PC that you would on a Mac you get exactly what you need and it doesn't look like ET sticking his head out of your desk with a CD-ROM stuck in his mouth.

7. dashao

dashao New Member

8. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

Man, I want one of those Alienware computers, they look insane.

9. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

well, now they're stepping up to a better processor...

Have you noticed the new processor for the XBOX that Microsoft is switching to? Won't that make a nice 'seitcher' commercial :D

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,61065,00.html

10. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

What's the best way to accelerate a mac?
    9.8 m / sec^2 :p

Here's something anyone who has ever worked at a helpdesk will appreciate, and the line about the I-mac at the end sums it up pretty well.

Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie - Helpdesk

11. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

Hey macs are good don''t go dissing them. No evil spyware, yes non compatible with most games...have mensioned hows it's not compatible with most viruses too! Yes linux is so far the most stable system...what the new mac OS use linux! Wow what could that possibly mean! Microsoft has ports open, for the microsoft company to do scans, a hacker could exploit those ports, (not damage anything) but view some personal information.

12. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

Linux whoops both Windows and Mac. the best system....
    AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 processor ASUS motherboard. creative sound blaster audigy 2 platinum edition. 256 RADEON 9800 pro video card running on.....Linux. and if i had a spare couple grand on me i would probably have it

13. Cain

Cain New Member

If I want games windoze will whoop linux's ass any time of the day :D

|Cain|

14. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Linux being more stable than Windows is a complete myth.

Both systems have their good and bad points and i'm willing to accept that MacOS X is a nice OS as well.

There isn't really any point getting into religious wars about this stuff it was the first thing i was told when i got into 3rd year of my degree and we had the choice :)

15. Cain

Cain New Member

Yup, my pc was on for a stretch of 11 days without restarting, never crashed, ran photoshop in the backround with Max Payne 2 with no probs. Hell I had even minimised quake, forgot about it and started vice city and exited it it stilll ran like a charm and I run win2k pro :D

|Cain|

16. Zazen

Zazen New Member

Ahh the age old debate. I've used a PC for many years and while it has its pro's and con's, I still prefer a PC. I've had the chance to use a Mac for a short time and I still dont see what all the fuss is about. A couple of points I'd like to make from previous posts.

*Mac users dont have to worry as much about viruses not because there immune to them, but most people (apparently virus creators too) tend to use the PC.

*True you could say if all you want to do is play games then buy a console machine. However, not all games play well on a console, RPG and FPS are best on a PC. Besides that you can't upgrade a console system. While the hardware for a console gets out-dated you can easily upgrade your PC. Third, Monitors have better resolution than a TV screen (altho HDTV is making that less important now.)

*I've noticed the majority of Mac users are fanatical about there Mac's, almost cult-like. The majority of PC users despise Windows and like to bash Bill Gates. Isnt that ironic?

In the end its all about personal preferences.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  17. Sanitarium

Sanitarium New Member

PC, of course.

18. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

I use pc mac and a linux/unix box. Depends on the application