Mac users vs. Windows users (The truth)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by xplasma, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Last I heard the mac was not upgradable by it's individual parts, if that's still the case then case closed, the pc wins ;)

|Cain|

2. Mort

Mort New Member

It's all standard parts now. I've stuck some extra Hard Disks in my G4 and knocked in some other bits and bobs. The only problem is The CD-ROM drives, if you want to be able to boot from a CD you need an Apple branded drive. But as you get one of these with the box it shouldn't matter to many people. (this was true with OS 9, not sure about X, anyone?)

3. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I used to be quite hostile towards Macs. Well, not really hostile, But I would occasionally get the urge to throw one out the window while using it.

That would have been about 5 years ago, when we had to use them in school.

These days I'm more comfortable with them. Maybe I've just become more mature, or maybe the Mac has. But I'm sure it's both :)

During my studies, I've found that without Apple, we proberly wouldn't be using the type of computers we are now. So you gotta give them credit for something ;).

They deffinatly have their uses. Whether I'll be getting one... who knows where my career will take me, I'll be happy to use a Mac if It's needed/required.

4. Topher

Topher allo!

5. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

I like how he used the original 'switcher' music.

As a long time mac user, I've shared a few of those experiences. The 'command-period thing' was pretty innefective in OS9. I don't know what the key combination is in OS X to handle lockups, as OS X doesn't crash. Oh , don't get me wrong, various applications crash reliably, like Microsoft Word(like clockwork), Microsoft Excel(in 'classic mode'), but the OS just let's you know and keeps humming along. I'm still in single digit crash mode for the OS, and I've had this machine for over two years.

Matt

6. Overmind1984

Overmind1984 Master of 0 and 1

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Yeah, try actually reading the News first, where they explain what the comic means (because lots of times you won't have a clue unless you do).

PL

8. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

I really like the way the MACs look though, they have a sleek design. Yes, MAC's suck for gaming. All the games I have are mostly from blizzrd entertainment or some company that's cool enough to put stuff for MAC. If I had I choice I would get a MAC, I prefer the stuff they have on it, not to mension it dosn't come with the 23894732 diffrent microsoft spyware systems pre-installed on your systme.

9. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

i love how Mac vs Win vs Linux arguments work

Mac users:
    "Since OS X with use the power and security of BSD with the most advanced GUI on the planet...."

Linux users:
    "We have full control over my computer and I can do thing with my OS that is not possible with others..."

Windows:
    "It doesn't mater that I have no control over my computer, and I use the only OS that still uses cooperative multi-taking that have been proven to be faulty and is the primary cause of the OS crashing. CAUSE I CAN PLAY GAMES!"

Sorry the ability to play games doesn't make a OS good.

10. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Depends on who you're talking to, mate :)

11. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Longhorn is going to shake all three from what I've heard....

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

People some times forget the computer is a tool. Some OS's/architectures are well suited for one task and **** poor for another. Yes the PC is quite capable of processing movies, images, and music and alot of the bench marks show that apple doesnt have the advantage in speed that it use to over the PC. The editing software on the make for some reason seems more intuitive and less cumbersome to me but that is prefrence. Windows has gobs of support for accelerated 3d Graphics and the general interface is pretty simple which makes life easy for non computer savy folks (apple is in the some league as far as GUI goes). Linux is great but you have to enjoy being elbow deep in the bowels of an operating system, not for your average user. Albiet Linux does have some commendable GUIs but they still fall significantly short of OS# and Win.

As for the 64 bit wide bus comment, Pc's are slowly migrating that way as well.

I myself use all 3 systems myself on a regular basis. They are all great tools for what I need them to do.

13. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

What are you talking about, MACs are made for movie editing and digital graphics and music...those are what macs are for. I'm sorry PCs are for gaming...MAC is for the internet...music...everything exept games.

14. Ash

Ash Valued Member

Hmmmm, I always thought Macs were for TV and film producers who believe that they 'look cool'....... ;)

15. Mort

Mort New Member

The Playstation is for games, Xbox is for games, Gamecube is for games etc. Games consoles are for games.

Just because people use the PC for gaming doesn't mean it's the only purpose, or it's the best. Bungie, who created Halo which every Xbox owner and PC gamer seems to rave about (personally I didn't like it much) started by coding games for the Macintosh (Marathon rocked). Macs can run games just as well as PC's. But PC's have a wider user base and therefore more profit margin for the games companies. I'm sure Linux would be the platform for games if everyone had a Linux box.

Just beacuse most people don't own an Aston Martin doesn't mean it's not a good car to drive.

Did it really annoy anyone else that when the iMac first came out and it was on every TV show and music video that they ALWAYS covered up the Apple logo with some stupid sticker or shape? Like you don't know what it is anyway?!

16. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

With exception to the game cube, the formentioned 'game consoles' already run an OS like windows CE or are capable of runing Linux. Its really hard to argue that the Xbox isnt a PC but a windows machine. What is the most powerful gaming console availabe now? Xbox.... The defining line between gaming console and computer is starting to become more and more obscure. It be difficult to win the debate 'just because an OS can play games doesnt make it a good OS' when the leading 'game console' IS a windows PC in a console's box.

17. Mort

Mort New Member

True, but my point was that consoles are for games, as that is their purpose. Which is why the Xbox doesn't just have XP on it, in fact Microsoft were quite literally horrified when people started playing with Xbox to put Linux on it and turn it into a cheap, hardware standardized, PC.

And I would say that the most powerful games console is only the Xbox as it's one of the newest. When PS3 hits shelves, then it'll be the most powerful. But that's a hardware issue, not a platform issue. (and I wouldn't class Xbox as the leading console over the PS2)

The defining line between games console and computer is rock solid. Games consoles play games. that is their primary purpose. Sure they can do other things; you can peel potatoes with a knife, but it doesn't make it a potato peeler. Hell an Xbox makes a nifty hammer, but I'm not putting it in my toolbox.

I'm not knocking the PC (or even windows, yet), I'm a Mac user but I know that each platform has strengths and weaknesses. But to say that the Mac isn't a gaming machine is insane. I've been playing games on my Macs since I was 3 years old!

18. Cain

Cain New Member

True but that does'nt mean they are the best at it, the consoles desperately try to be a pc in almost every kind of way, once it is outdated you have to buy a whole new console, you can't upgrade it, you can't mod games, IMO if you want to play games, and fighting games are not your taste then it's best to go for the pc. The MAC? none of the top titles are even released for the MAC.

|Cain|

19. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

"The MAC? none of the top titles are even released for the MAC."

Well thats not true.. just often not first.

20. Mort

Mort New Member

I'm just trying to say that this isn't because the Mac can't handle them, but because most software companies don't yet see it as a profitable option to port games to the Mac because it doesn't have a reputation as a games machine (we're all graphic designers and video editors).

If you just want to play games then a Console is the easiest option, if you can afford to, and want to update your graphics card, CPU, RAM, motherboard etc. every 6 months to play the 'latest' games - go buy a PC. I'm sure they'll look pretty. :D