Mac users vs. Windows users (The truth)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by xplasma, Mar 12, 2004.

1. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

I am a mac guy, this is funny I read this earlier and.. I passed this cartoon onto a few of my friends this morning.

But, boy are you going to get jumped on by the PC massive. You think the Left/Right, Grappler/TMA arguments are bad!

3. Cain

Cain New Member

The PC still rules :D

|Cain|

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

*Kgirl puts on flame retardant suit

Linux rules you all! Mac's are pretty yes, but...

Oh forget it...

:D

5. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Isn't funny how the mac crowd, in an effort to make themselves feel "special",
    constantly attack PC users. Much in the way fat kids in grade school become bullies.

6. wild_pitch

hmm, if you read the site you will realize the cartoonist is a windows user and is insulting the MAC stores for being elitist.

So relax there big guy!

Jees see what I mean, everyone gets so touchy about such silly things. It is a CARTOON about a computer operating system people.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Mac vs PC argument is like the classic jkd argument :)

8. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hmm... funnily enough it reminded me of a strip fromCtrl Alt Del.

Not that Mac users are going to like this, windows and linux etc users might find it funny tho...

"And good riddance too!"

But of course if you go the the Archives bit and search for "operating system" (I don't direct link to it as I duno if the mods would 'like' a couple of the words there...) that comic is amusing... indeed would be interesting if there was only an operating system of the last type noted there! :D

See this is what happens when we(me and some other like minded MAPer) found these and that we found those comic strips again today when we we're in the library revising(kinda) operating systems! :)

Hmm makes 'refreshing' change from "which style is best" threads? [​IMG]

9. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Right Click = Good :D

10. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

PC is the ultimate in gaming, sorry mac owners. Though if you're a graphic designer and you have a PC...I get to smack you. They're each good for something it depends what you use YOUR computer for.

11. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Its perfectly possible to do good graphic design on a PC you know

12. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

Yes, I agree but MAC's are the master of graphic designs. I have a couple friends who do that as a living and they both say MAC is the best for graphic design. I'm not bashing PC's I own a PC and I'm on one now and I'm perfectly happy with it.

13. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Aren't Macs more powerful than PC's? A Mac running Linux is possibly a very cool beast...

Whatever, you have to be rich to have a proper (without an 'i in front of the name) one :(.

14. Hugh

Hugh New Member

I dont think so, although im not an expert on such matters. I seem to remember looking into getting a Mac a little while ago, but they costed twice as much as a PC, and processor speeds stopped at the 1Ghz mark.

15. wild_pitch

Actually they have 2GHZ g5 procesors now.

The thing wtih macs is they also typically run DUAL processors. So they are great for video editing and other high volume work. they are pretty much the standard for video and film editors.

As for designers I am an Art Director and I prefer my macs, but it is a preference PCs are fine for desingers.

As for price I recently picked up 1.25GHZ g4 with 756mb of ram and an 80 gb drive cd burner etc for 2000 canadian which is not bad at all.

16. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Well technically it is not as straight to say that a x clockspeed PC is faster or slower than an Mac with an the same 'number' stated as it's clock speed(with the same memory and hard disc space etc), due to the fact that (if I rememeber rightly) a Mac uses a different CPU architecture to a PC; a PC uses something called CISC(Complext Instrution Set Computer) archeitecture whereas a Mac uses RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) archtecture, tho I think that there might be a slight convergance between the two. The only way to tell is to run the same programs on each system or use some nice benchmarking software. In a way it's like saying that for PC's a 2GHz Intel chip is slower or faster than an AMD 2GHz chip, it's hard to compare as both have a different way of doing certain things.

But as has been said Macs are better for some applications than others and visa versa. Personally as long as the machine I'm using is resonably reliable then I'll be happy. :)

17. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

Yea, the prossesors can handle more on a mac, but it can't store as well so you need more ram. If you had unlimited ram on a mac and pc the mac would run better...but macs don't have unlimited ram do they?

18. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Well, not unlimited, just four times the ram of pc's. You can put eight gigabytes of Ram in the current G5's, and that's just a physical limitation. Because the G5 is a 64 bit chip, it can address many times as much ram as a pentium based machine.

Matt

19. Topher

Topher allo!

Mac’s were mainly for designers, but nowadays, PC’s can do what a Mac can do, if not better. Most graphics/art packages actually lack support for Mac, using Maya as an example.

If you wanna go into that industary, it's best to know both....and Linux

Exacually :)

Another thing, if i buy a PC that's 1000GBP i'd have to spend about 3000GBP on a Mac of the same speed & power.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  20. Mort

Mort New Member

Maya Complete is available for the Mac. In general Macs were mainly for 2D design, until recently they've had quite terrible support for any kind of 3D accelerated graphics cards. So many 3D packages aren't Mac friendly (yet). The Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) are fully supported, Macromedia Studio (Flash, Director, Dreamweaver etc.) are supported. Most Industry standard design software has support for Macintosh, and this is mainly because most (2d) industry standard software is RUN on Apple hardware.

Granted this is changing as the PC is 'catching up' :D as the software companies are realising that they can make more money selling to the PC crowd, which is mainly due to Apples pricing policy:

Hit the nail on the head here. But the 3000GBP Mac will run Photoshop far quicker and more efficiently in your workflow than the PC. :D And that's why we use them.