MA vs Boxers

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by CirrusFalcon, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CirrusFalcon

CirrusFalcon New Member

Hey, I saw this post up somewhere in this morass of posts and was too lazy to go find it again. I just thought I'd give some input as I myself am a boxer. The original post was a man wondering what to do in a situation where he was pitted against a boxer. He believed he would be wasted by one.

A well trained boxer is extremely proficient at dodging, which we call the slip and bob. If you go against a decent boxer he will be able to dodge almost 100% of your punches even if his hands were tied behind his back. It will become even harder when he has the use of his hands because he can then parry or counterstrike.

Another problem with going against a boxer is that they train constantly for extreme speed and power so most likely in most cases, they will probably be as fast if not way faster than a Martial Artist. (I take martial arts as well so I can compare the two)

Boxers also take many hits during their fights and are accustomed to the pain. Pain will not stop them most likely. We get knocked down a lot, we break chins, noses, etc.

A few said to maybe get really close to a boxer and unleash from the "in" position. If you are going against a boxer who is tall and has a long reach this is what shorter boxers do to them so they will most likely be trained how to react in this situation. If you are against a shorter boxer, this is where they like to fight. Get back.

A few also said to maybe throw some kicks at a distance. I kickboxed as well, most boxers would dodge your kick or take it/block it, whatever, and then they'd be all over you and fast. Boxers also use angles extremely well so taking them head on fist-to-fist is not adviseable.

The only two methods I would recommend against a boxer are taking it to the ground as fast as you can, or (if you are confident in your abilities) concentrate your rear-leg rounhouse's to his lead leg thigh and be ready to protect yourself if he rushes in after your kick. If you can continuously pound that thigh he won't be able to stand, let alone fight you. If you manage to get him to the ground be sure you know some brazilian ju-jitsu or are proficient with wrestling (Boxer's tend to be very strong, but ill versed in ground tactics). Use these only if you can't outrun him, in which case run away. If you go against a kick boxer it is a whole 'nother story. Try to get them to the ground ASAP but beware of knees to the face as you go to grab a leg. You may be able to get some kick boxers or boxers for that matter to focus on your legs if you continuously use leg attacks and then smash them in the face with a punch while they are watching your feet. Other than that...pray.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

So leg shots are bad? What about like to the shins (with the heel)? Thanks for the tips, though. :)

PL

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Some good thoughts there CirrusFalcon, even if you tend to generalise a lot. A couple of small observations ....

There's a search button :D

The title - --- MA Vs Boxer... A boxer IS a MA :D

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've always wondered why alot of people don't consider boxing to be a form of martial arts... I myself go to a boxing club once a week to go with my kickboxing and ju jitsu... boxing is very useful to have some knowledge in.

5. Valiant84

Valiant84 New Member

I think that one of the only ways to beat a boxer would be to be able to fight on the ground. You could beat a boxer with other martial arts but the thing is it takes years to become good enough at an art like kung fu to be able to use it against someone who does boxin. Or even in a street fight. The thing about boxing is because of its simplicity it is very quick to learn and therefore if you have someone doing boxing for say 2 years he would be quite a though, hardened and fast fighter whereas with most other arts like kung fu which involves a lot of movements and teqhniques, it takes a lot longer to learn and apply in actual combat.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

7. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

A good post. Makes me glad I do thai boxing! ;)

8. DoH

DoH New Member

mua thai (or however you spell it) + pure boxing + a grapling art and yer set for gruesome streetfighting imho :p

even just boxing and grapling makes a deadly combo..
    hell boxing alone can be NASTYYYY

9. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Any solution to beating a boxer is going to involve where you're fighting and the rules. For example, while the ground might be considered the best place to beat a boxer, I'm still going to try to avoid going to it in a self defense situation. I don't like the idea of being on the ground, in the street and in hostile territory.

And yes, boxing is a Martial Art. And yes, there are lots of situations where boxers can defintely take more traditional martial artists apart.

Welcome to MAP!

- Matt

10. honest_john

honest_john New Member

11. sfjohn

sfjohn New Member

I have said this before and I will say it again because my message obviously didn't get through the first time. If you wan't to learn to beat a boxer, become a boxer. It's that simple. I heard a comment about knowing Muay Thai but to tell you the truth traditional MT boxers are not that great with their hands compared to american boxing. All I basically want to say is that if you want to learn to defeat an opponent that fights a certian way, learn that way, learn the strengths and weaknesses of it, and then use the other skills you have to help you defeat it. How do i know this way is the best way, well why do you think everyone is incorperating brazilian JJ? This methodology has worked since the beginning of time, so why mess with it now.

12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

how about british boxing :p

13. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I think the most obvious advantage that a martial artist has over a boxer (depending on the style) is the ability to use kicks to keep the boxer at range. I'm probably oversimplifying here, as i'm sure a good boxer is fast enough to close the distance, but I know it's what I'd do if I tried to fight one.

How good are boxers at defending against body blows? I know they are very well versed in avoiding hits to the head, but the body to me would seem like a fairly ripe target. I'd be interested to know, if anyone could tell me.

The thing that concerns me about boxers is that they do a lot more combat-based training than we do at my tang sou dao club. However, I think the main thing to realise here is that, if a martial artist fights a boxer, both will be fighting someone who fights in a completely different style to their own. Boxing, in my view, is a more highly skilled version of western streetfighting. If a westerner (who is used to how most people fight on the street) goes up against a boxer, he may be able to use his alien fighting style to confuse the boxer and catch him off guard. But I must emphasise that this is purely theory and I do have a lot of respect for boxing.

14. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i think alot of people think boxing is a martial art is because its american and not asian regardless of the facts

15. totality

totality New Member

better than you are. body blows are a rather large part of boxing, actually.

16. Hadouken

Hadouken New Member

This may be a stupid thing to say, so everybody don't laugh at me.... but dont' "shoot fighters" or grapplers usually win the UFC's, they seem to be some pretty big guys, although no lenox louis, but then again you don't run into a lenox louis all that often either. Just a thought.

17. totality

totality New Member

shootfighters are not strictly grapplers, they focus as much on striking as anything else.

and no, pure grapplers do not enjoy any degree of success in mma now, because everyone cross-trains. although grappling is a vital aspect of mma.

18. Charbodan

Charbodan Valued Member

Hey honest_john,

Just wandering which way the guy lent towards Ali or Lee?

My on thought on the matter is that if Ali was the same weight as Lee pound for pound Lee would take him.

As they were at their best, I would have to agree that the boxer is conditioned more to take the pain.

Both are legends, perhaps Lee's ground fighting and grappling knowledge would have given him an edge.

Who knows.

19. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

Well, if this were a "Street fight," I'm pretty sure a boxer would win. Well.. Of course, this all depends on both MA's training and style. If the boxer sucks, break his arm. If he doesn't.. Well.. Gonna have to take a few to the face. I pretty much agree on the thigh kicking, though.

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Let's take a light hearted breather :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.