MA forums in general.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andy Murray, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Been thinking about this for a while.

What are your primary reasons in using MA forums?

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I first joined this and another MA forum on a recommendation when I was trying to figure out what I wanted out of MA training. Slowly I got to know people on this forum and it has turned into a valuable resource not only of information but of support and encouragement as well.

It has helped inform me about different styles, techniques and approaches as well as re-inform me (that is to dispel half-truths or myths about other styles and training methods) of things I thought I already knew. Because of the broad range represented you can never visit and then say "well I know it all now and don't need to visit MAP anymore". There is always something to be gained from every visit. So, I guess you can say I now use MAP mainly to feed my information addiction.

It is the same with any other MA forum I visit. This is the only one I currently post on or even visit with regularity but for specific answers I may check out other sites. Again, diff forums present diff views and there is always something to be learned. The information was why I joined, the people are why I stay.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I wanted to know about why my hips hurt when I do I roundhouse, so I joined here to ask. I asked, got an answer, but decided to stick around anyway.

PL

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Not MAP specifically, but forums in general.

So far, we've had;

1/ A desire for specific information.

2/ A feeling of community.

3/ Motivation.

4/ Mental growth.

5. Senga

Senga GenkiGirl

I had a constant hunger to talk to someone about MA, something that won't get me wierd looks that say, "Oh, she's such a martial arts freak. Doesn't have anything better to do?"

Or "What are you going to do? Kick all our @$$e$ now?"

Or "Run, it's ____ she's gonna kill us all!"

:rolleyes:

Finally, i have somewhere to go when i wanna talk w/o getting any stupid responses.

6. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

Bored/Needed Answers

7. TyrX

TyrX Unregistered Non-User

I love to read about martial arts, and talk about them...and here is somewhere that's dedicated just to MA, with everybody of a like mind...to share ideas and further my enlightenment of the world, cultures and the pyschology of the human mind.

8. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

The only reason I go to any forum (MA related or not) is to gain information.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Communication with other MAists, helps to broaden your horizon and means we can organise MA seminars and get togethers.

And promote Heriot Watt University Martial Arts events ;)

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I wandered in and found that there was no escape. I don't really want to be here, I just can't leave....

Not really, I like the summary in Andy's post.

11. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I want to learn more about different martial arts and martial artists, people's motivations and attitudes, different takes on teaching techniques, reasons for using particular techniques, training methods and further sources of information.

It serves the same purpose to me as discussing MAs in the pub with people, but you've got instant access to a wide community of people with a depth of experience in varied areas.

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'll admit it. When I first came here, my main motives were attention seeking and showing off.
    These days it's a valuable resource to learn about other styles and meet knowledgable people.

13. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

I first came here from a recommendation from a friend to read a thread about knives and usage in South Africa.
    Stayed, got hooked like everyone else.
    Has now changed my perception of MA's slightly, and my training big time!!
    Have tried other forums, don't really do it for me...need MAP fix. :D

I use this forum to get information about my own martial art that I don't know, understand training techniques that could improve my own training, and learn general information about MA's. Also, to read about problems that I have come across, that makes me understand that my doubts aren't just my own, but the same not just across a style, but the whole spectrum of MAists.

NB I have seen that MA style specific forums die early deaths. MAP works so well because it is so broad based.

14. sean

sean THOR!

Im being black mailed :eek:

heh

I like learning about subjects I have an interest in.

But often leave browsing a forum because of other young people ruining it for everyone. :confused:

-Sea|\|

15. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I came here so that I could lear more about my MA and other peoples MA.

Also because all my mates must be sick of me saying "this one time at the Dojang...."

Nothing to do with flutes though ;)

16. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

to meet , greet and bleat.

plus ..i've made some great new friends.

17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Mr Google sent me, i was just mosyin the net looking for MA sites and found this place, now im addicted to MAP. see what you did Google?! :D

18. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

Wanted to know what other martial arts were out there and how they work ..or don't!

Also, independent thoughts, advice and anecdotes from outside the realms of my academy.

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Same here. I was looking for more information on Matt Furey.
    Suffice it to say, I came to the right place :)

20. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Looking for a community to ask questions to. then Join once I get my training done.