Luta Livre Esportiva

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Gripfighter, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

was Luta Livre just the 10 planet JJ of its day ? as in was it just a reaction to BJJ using the gi and being a bit of a middle class activity, Luta Livre as I understand it was always a bit more street, or was it something far more distinct and of its self. What did it actually look like as a style in relation to bjj and other common grappling arts of today, theres some videos on youtube but to my eye they all just look like people doing that marketing gimmick were they sell submission grappling classes as some antiquated martial art i.e pankration, shoot fighting etc. Also is there a reason it didn't catch on and what happened to its exponents, you'd think with the rise of of vale tudo and mma a no gi competitor to bjj from brazil would fair pretty well. does anyone know much about this system ?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Terry Etim is Luta Livre I think. He did get KTFO'd though. :(

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Terry Etim started off with no-gi BJJ at Next Generation and then moved to Team Kaobon where he did BJJ and Luta Livre. Having done a day's seminar with the Luta Livre coach at Kaobon, I can say he was excellent at teaching his style and I learnt a lot from him and really enjoyed the training. That being said, I'm crap so I can learn a lot from most anyone! :)

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

luta livre per se is a derivative of wrestling (just as true lucha libre is). just like lucha libre (which is now known for it's public pro-wrestling image also known on the inside as "the work") it also has it's own version of catch as catch can wrestling.

in brazil it was more a working man's art. more blue collar.

back in the day, luta livre used to have a rivalry with gracie jiu-jitsu. supporters of both camps used to riot after a vale tudo fight between the two styles.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Luta Livre is the Brazilian name for CACC. Guys like Ruas, Braga and Duarte competed in early MMA events. I think largely they just got left behind when the culture shifted to pro-camps, and indeed some big names with big BJJ teams (such as the Nogueiras) started out in Luta Livre.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=20CR_N63jgY"]Jiu-Jitsu & Luta Livre in MMA: UFC fighter Milton Vieira || BJJ Hacks - YouTube[/ame]

http://bjjhacks.com/2012/06/luta-livre-x-jiu-jitsu/

''In our first video to focus on a no-gi guy we took a look at 10-year MMA veteran Milton ‘Miltinho’ Vieira, who is about to make his UFC debut on UFC 147 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.

Miltinho is a 2nd degree black belt in jiu-jitsu under Brazilian Top Team co-founder Murilo Bustamante but came from a different background – he studied luta livre under the little-known Mestre Jefferson and is also a black belt in the no-gi submission grappling style that was once considered jiu-jitsu’s biggest rival.

Miltinho is most famous for his arm-triangle chokes, which he can hit from any angle. Anaconda, brabao, darce choke – whatever you want to call it, Miltinho is the king of this technique.

Once, luta livre was considered a deadly rival to jiu-jitsu and there were many high-profile clashes between practitioners of the two arts. But as time passed the tensions faded, and Milton was one of the many luta livre stylists who joined BTT in the early 2000s.

''

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

saw that bjj hacks video a few week ago, excellent stuff.

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

10. Dead_pool

Ill have to check my source, but Im pretty sure some of the founders of luta were purple belts in BJJ.

11. Late for dinner

The article says that they were catch wrestlers who picked up judo stuff and whatever else to improve their stuff. No doubt they might have done some BJJ as well. The important point seemed to be the difference in philosophy of how to roll. They seemed to have taken a very different approach to BJJ's.

FWIW

LFD

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

too me it just sounds like guys picked up catch wrestling but because there was already a buzzing grappling scene in brazil it morphed into something a little different. Dont no if the founders held purple belts but clearly the scene that was already going on in brazil played a part in it not just becoming CACC outright.

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

slightly unrelated but those mma origin's articles are a great find late for dinner. Among other things they have revealed to me exactly who taught ken shamrock CACC something iv always found strangely missing from his bio, who knew his linage went directly to karl gotch and there for the snake pit, and only one instructor removed from him as well, wonder if they ever met ? Also had no idea how much the generation of gracies that were around in the early days of mma dabbled so much in other grappling styles, one of the articles even has a photo of rickson doing sambo, kind of goes against the BJJ is grappling attitude the graices put foreword for a while when they started to get big. Lots of little intresting facts like that in those articles.

14. Dead_pool

Didnt many of the gracies and their students compete in sambo, wrestling and judo back in the day, there lots of footage of JJM doing so on youtube too.
    ps you gotta read the beyond the lions den book, its an 'interesting read'

15. Late for dinner

A great system but..

TP I thought it was revealing how you see a list of some of the people that Helio Gracie fought. It looks pretty fantastic but it is also interesting that there is some context. One wrestler, listed historically as one of the top 4 in the world, fought Helio to a draw but the wrestler had not competed in 10 years and was 75 while Helio was 21.

You have to respect how well GJJ has performed against other competitiors but this additional info regarding GJJ versus other systems(eg Luta Livre and the other systems that performed well against BJJ) puts some of the marketing into perspective.

While you have to admit that BJJ has certainly produced a consistently good set of practitioners with a winning strategy they do not seem to have always been as dominant as their marketing materials would seem to indicate.

FWIW

LFD

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Rolls was the first one to compete outside BJJ, he did sambo and freestyle as well as judo: rickson, royler renzo and a lot of the machados followed suit, Ricksons only loss was in a Sambo comp to Ron Trip. Royler from all accounts enjoyed judo more than BJJ but knew to be competitive in judo he would have had to cut back on BJJ which was never an option. They also all have competed in ADCC obviously, with Royler probably the most successfull of them. They still encourage their family members to compete outside BJJ: alot of the younger family members in the states free style wrestled in school for example