Lung Ying and Wing Chun

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Nykout, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Hello

I wanted to ask what are the differences between the hand/arm work in Lung Ying and Wing Chun. I know that in both styles the forearms are used extensively, but that's about it. If there is anyone here who could explain the differences, I would be grateful.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

From my experience I would note the following differences, others that have trained both systems will probably not agree :)

Wing chun seeks to occupy the centre line and control that space, dragon seeks to lead you into a position where your centre is exposed and every movement you make keeps getting you into more and more trouble. As such wing chun tends to be more direct and this is reflected in its foot work and hand work, guard position etc, lung ying is more evasive and this is reflected in the angles its strikes come from the different way it covers strikes and guards itself etc

The main difference between the two is how they move and how they generation power (which are linked) the difference in the hands and arm work is simply down to the above difference in strategy and a manifestation of the difference in body work and power generation

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Thanks very much, that was very insightful.