Lung diseases

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nachi, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I used to be healthy when younger and only developed pollen and some food allergies several years ago.
    I've gotten like 9 different types of medicine, for regular use and some to add to an 'emergency package'. Among them was an inhalator, as the doctor said, to use in case I have trouble breathing. She didn't explain why I should, though. Ever since then (last two years), I only had to use it like 3 times. Once when mountain hiking (before I started with MA), I was much slower then my companions and had to stop often to take a breath and got something like an attack - my breathing suddenly became fast and shallow, couldn't speak well,... and two times during karate class - last time when I was choked two times in a row - I had trouble speaking and breathing and kept coughing for the rest of the evening. Therefore I suspected it might have something to do with asthma.

Today I had taken a spirometry test for the first time ever. I was told it's not asthma, but both restrictive and obstructive lung disease, with the restrictive being the dominant (I suppose none of them is any serious). The doctor didn't explain much about it, but I was prescribed another medication - Montelukast.
    The doctor said to take it a day before training. Since I train at least four times a week, I was told to take a pill every day at least for the next two months (pollen season). And an hour before competition (if I compete, which I don't).

The thing is I don't fancy taking unnecesary medicine just for the sake of taking it (I'm trying to avoid the medicine for allergies as much as possible), so I asked the doctor if I really have to, since most of the time I don't have any trouble in classes. She told me to at least try, that I will see a difference and will surely beat everyone :). It could also help prevent another 'attack' - when I need to use the inhalator. I think I'll give it a try, but I wonder if anyone has any experience with these diseases or the medicine? Does it really make much of a difference? I don't feel bad to begin with and I'm not very happy about all of this :(

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No matter how good you feel, trust your doctor's advice and at least try.

A word of caution: Don't let the story of people on the Internet influence your decision to follow your doctor's advice (or not).

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You're awfully young to be having this. Mixed types (both restrictive and obstructive) are relatively uncommon.

Ever been told you might have cystic or pulmonary fibrosis?

From what I understand, people with this almost always have a combination of diseases - scoliosis, congestive heart failure, etc., etc.,

Heavy duty stuff, IIRC.

I wouldna worry taking unnecessary medicines at this point. Its the very least of things here. They are used to treat the symptoms...not the underlying causes.

If you do indeed have mixed lung disease, further testing in very much warranted.

Best wishes for you

4. Nachi

Thank you for the answers, they're much appreciated.

I don't mean to let people decide for me. It's just that I've never heard of these deseases before and I am interested in experiences of others.

Are they?
    Yep, it does sound like these things are for older people :( I've no idea how it came to be... but it was just one spirometry test and I suppose the outcome wasn't that bad. The doctor didn't make any drama of it, either. I just kind of expected asthma... There were no other tests so it made me wonder if perhaps I could have breathed in better. On the other hand I did need to use an inhalator a few times....

I will visit the doctor again in October, so I suppose I will have a few more questions.

Never had any fibrosis or anything. I underwent some rehabilitations because of scoliosis in elementary school, so I might have that... I never smoked, had no heart troubles, or anything else I could think of, though.

Thank you :)

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Good. Yeah, I'm certain if the doctors are not alarmed at this point and you're having minimal symptoms as you seem to be, there are some sort of offsetting, mitigating circumstances at play in your case.

I'd been diagnosed a few months back with a leaking heart valve and an enlarged heart which sounded rather dire at first but I found out there are degrees of this and though it something to be checked up on once in a while, it wasn't necessarily the Hand of Doom tolling the bell ( sorry...I just couldn't resist ).

I wouldn't worry myself over it, just be objectively informed as to whats going on and trust your doctors - simple but effective.

6. Nachi

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound panicked, as I said, I don't think it's any serious. :) But it did surprise me, so I gave it some thought.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that :( Hahaha, probably not :D But getting a regular check up is a good idea.

Yep, thanks again! :)

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Ask if its any specific type of obstructive lung disease. some require as much meds as bad asthma

8. Nachi

Ok, I will remember to ask. She didn't explain much to me, but said it is treatment is the same for asthma and advised some medicine. It's not that bad, though, that I couldn't exercise without that medicine. Nothing serious. And from my experience this is not the kind of doctor that would hesitate to prescribe any medicine I could use. She gave me so much for my allergies that I don't even remember what each one is for :)

Thank you, though, I will ask her and look into it! :)

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I would definitely discus this with your Dr or at the very least your pharmacist.

Some of your meds are used to prevent problems, others are used to relieve your problems, both are necessary unless your Dr says otherwise.

Its great to be informed, but remember you won't be as informed as your Dr, they're the expert.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

If only that were always true.

Yes I'm a cynic with some members of the medical profession.

11. Nachi

You're right. From what I heard from the doctor, the new medication is for both, relieving and preventing more serious problems. However, it's not like something bad would happen if I didn't take it, my situation isn't any serious. So it will help, but is not necessary, therefore I was asking for others' experience mostly out of curiosity.

As a little update, the medication had to be ordered, so I only got it recently and tried it for two trainings. I didn't feel any difference during my normal activities or working out, but when it came to some aerobic exercises, I could suddenly breath in a relaxed manner, as opposed to breathing heavily as most of other students seemed. I was perfectly fine which felt like a little miracle and actually enjoyed this kind of activity that I usually don't ...So now I have a more positive attitude towards the whole thing. Although I wish it was like that even without any pills...
    I don't think I normally have trouble breathing, but there still was a big difference to how I'd probably feel without the medicine. Sooo, I think I'll be taking it on training days. Just to enjoy the feeling. The doctor said that I won't be short of breath with it and will last longer, so now I saw what she meant.
    It is a much better solution than getting a paper excusing me from PE, as she offered. As if! :D

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That's why you can ask for a second opinion, its more a problem with rarer conditions, but for every one case that's valid, there's a hundred people ignoring medical advice and making themselves sicker as a result.