Lumbar Spine and other problems...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Xue Fang, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Righty ho, I'll get straight to the point. I need your help! With several problems.

Most importantly, my lumbar spine (that's the lower spine) is near on killing me. I've been having a few minor back problems of late in TKD, but it always goes away. A couple of weeks ago, I was foolishly trying to emulate my ice skating idols by doing Biellmans (or trying to...) and I completely did my lumbar spine in... It has been slightly better, but on Tuesday, having to walk around all day, and then sitting through eight lectures in back killing seats, and then doing three hours of TKD including armoured sparring, well that brought it all back again... But really weirdly, yesterday on the Wednesday it was actually getting better, and now I wake up this morning and the pain was excruciating. I can barely walk at a slow shuffle with the aid of a walking stick. I don't know how I'm ever going to make it through class tonight.

But I was wondering, if anyone had any advice about the lumbar spine? I'm not really a lumbar spine expert... So if anyone knows, I want to know:

1) Is there any sort of medical product I can get that will relieve lower back pain/lumbago?
    2) Are there any exercises I could do that would ease my suffering?
    3) Are there any exercises in TKD I should definitely not attempt and would make it worse, so I know what I should avoid doing tonight?

In addition, if it's not too much trouble, I've been suffering from some other ailments. Firstly, I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping... even though I took sleeping pills last night, I still woke up three or four times during the night. This is the fourth night in a row this has happened. The pills I took last night were called "Somnus", and used herbal ingredients.

1) Does anyone know of any better products that have worked for them?
    2) Any other alternative remedies are welcome.

Lastly, I am suffering from the worst cold ever. You know, one of those ones where not only do you cough, sneeze, and have your brains liquefy and run out your nose, but your throat gets scrubbed raw. I have to drink constantly just to soothe the pain a little, and talking is nigh on impossible. To complement it I've been getting headaches. You know the kind of headache that makes you feel really sluggish, like your head has been covered in a wet blanket, like your brain is vegetating into a thick soup. And at the same time, your face aches like crazy, especially around the cheek areas?

1) Basically any suggestions at all to combat this mother of all colds are very much appreciated

Thanks,

Xue Fang

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i have one- its called going to a doctor to get your POTENTIAL SPINAL CORD INJURY looked at.

is it just me or are people these dyas getting dumber? when i read something like this
    it makes me cringe.

3. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Ikken is right its sounds like you have done something quite serious and yet all you are worried about is how you are going to get through class. Stupidity like that with an injury is setting you upi for permanent damage. Stop being daft and get to the doctor, and dont even think about doing TKD until it is properly diagnosed.

:bang:

4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I have lower back problems and I also advise you to go to a doctor, chiropractor, pysiotherapist.
    Iboprufin is probably the best thing to take, your doc may prescribe some anti inflammitory drugs.
    Dont ignor your back, I did, and I have a scar on my back 8 inches long, I no longer have the back of my spine in my lumbar region. I get kicked in the back, I hit the deck.
    Stop training until yoiu know what the problem is, or you may have to stop training all together.
    I spent years in pain, 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year.
    Dont mess with your back.