Love

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TwIsT, Dec 6, 2004.

1. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

We'll I Hope This thread is ok to put here,it seems to be but right now i'm too upset to care.

Best way to ask my question for feedback and such is in the word's of the NIRVANA song "Aero Zeppelin"

"What's the meaning of love if you cant have everything?"

I hope this thread is alright....

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

The meaning of love?

Good luck with that

3. sky

sky Valued Member

i think its somthing we are missing if we dont have it but, in the small experience i have had it was a side track that was a waste off time, an i dont think i could drop my guard to another girl again, lol... i dont mean guard as in shes a about to punch me, but am sure you get me

4. chapskins

chapskins New Member

Hi

Like a kick in the nuts when it's gone

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Love isn't about "having"

Love is about unconditional "GIVING"

6. chapskins

chapskins New Member

Your talking about one love, many peolpe see LOVE as something quite different and is not really love at all.

7. sky

sky Valued Member

what ever it was/ is it is a kick in the nuts

8. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

A source of never ending happiness when its there

A good solid kick in the nuts when its gone

9. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

It's about unconditional giving, granted, but its all about what you get. If you got nothing from it then you wouldn't be in love. What you get may be nothing more than a sense of purpose/hapiness/heart ache, whatever, but you always get something in return. Maybe even a kick in the nuts as suggested :D

10. kataman

kataman New Member

I think since love comes by genre and degree, It is easier to define love by what it is not, as well a some aspects of what it is.
    Do you disagree with this....

Love is patient and kind, it does not envy or boast about itself.

Love has nothing to do with your pride. Love is not rude of selfish.

Love doesn't delight in doing wrong nor does it encourage harm.

Love doesn't anger easily and does not keep score.

Love always protects and always trusts.

Love always has hope.

This is pure love and true love always preservers.

11. BendzR

BendzR New Member

Interesting thread. Here's my take on the topic..

The 2 basic desires that humans have is impact and intimacy.

Things that are fun and exciting = impact
    Things that make you feel important = intimacy

Almost everything can be placed under those 2 things, or as a combination of the two. I think Relationships is one of the best sources for those desires as a complete package, which is why we want it so badly.

Relationships have 3 basic factors. Lust (impact), Passion (impact and intimacy), and Attachment (intimacy).

Usually, Lust & Passion are at high at the start of relationships, and attachment isn't very high. As time goes on Lust & (especially) Passion decrease and Attachment raises. Once Lust & Passion aren't the big factors of the relationship anymore, it mostly comes down to attachment. If attachment isn't desired enough to make up for the lack of Passion & Lust, then the relationship usuaully ends.

If both people become so attached, that they reach the point where they cannot live without that personal attachment, they then live "happily ever after". I guess you would could call that endless desire for attachment - Love.

As for relationships between family and long time friends, it's not much different. It just has no Lust & Passion nonsense and the attachment is usually naturally strong. Obviously the relationship with your spouse and ur mates aren't going to function in the same way, but they end up being the same in that they are sources for your desires, impact and intimacy.

Love is when you unconditionally give, because you gain priceless attachment (or intimacy) that you instinctively desire more then anything.

I hope my "analysis" of something like Love doesn't offend anyone, but it's just my oppinion and how I have concluded it from my own experiences. :Angel:

12. kataman

kataman New Member

Most of what you have described goes under what the Greeks called Eros or physical love (not necessarily sexual) There are other kinds of love (English is not a very precise language is it?) Good observation I have to say.

True love (the kind of ‘love’ that is most satisfying to the heart) I think is described in my previous post.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  13. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

But why do we feel if we cant have it all and why must it be so fickle as to potentially ruin lifes? Is love evil or Chaotic?

14. BendzR

BendzR New Member

Love isn't Chaotic and/or Evil. Love is the connection between two concious beings that care about each other and each others presence in each others lives, and as a result Love usually is a positive influence in lives, as it is something that is desired.

What is "it all" refering to ? What do you mean "If we can't have it all" ?

You're going to have to be more specific :Angel:

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The love of a parent and child is wonderful. Other than that, love sucks.

16. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

"It all" is what love should be but only when you can catch a glance at it, it runs away. I believe love is chaotic/anarchic because it never stays the same, it destroys itself and bonds itself to a new form and breaks you down.

"It all" is everything love has to offer,but you never seem to get "It all"

Why Do we Love if we cant have "it all"?

17. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Just like the Tina Turner song "What love got to do, got to do with it"
    There is no such thing as love as it's a load of rubbish.
    lisa xx

18. BendzR

BendzR New Member

Maybe "love" doesn't offer "it all" and that is just the illusion.

If you see something for what it is exactly, you shouldn't have any dissapointments.

19. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love is just a chemical reaction in your brain, just like anything else. Call me an advocate of Nietzsche and Nihilism,
    but passion, happiness, anger, sorrow, love are nothing more but attempt of out poor brain to give some meaning to this world, when there really aren't any.
    :eek:

20. BendzR

BendzR New Member

Passion is a chemical reaction in your brain. Hence why it goes away so quickly in relationships. Lust and Attachment aren't. Those two can stay around for quite a while.

I believe there's more to "Love" then just Passion. I guess it does come down to how you define an ambiguous term like "Love".

As for the original idea of the thread, I think what Twist was basicly asking was is there any point to "Love" If it's not going to be what was expected. Correct ?

If that's the question, then you have to ask yourself what you think Love really is. If you want to have what they suggest in movies and tv, about living happily ever after and having the perfect "soul mate" then you're mistaken. It's not going to happen. Best to realise that sooner then later.

You can build real relationships that are strong and meaningful, but no relationships is going to be perfect, that is just a myth. Someone said earlier, that the love a parent has for a child is wonderful, and the rest is pretty crappy. I think that hits the nail on the head.

Love isn't and never has been the cure to lifes problems. It can help, but its no cure.