Lost my sense of smell (sinus injuries)

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, Jul 18, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Never knew this was even possible . Everyone says it will return. Has this happened to anyone that has broken all their sinus'?

2. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Never was there a greater time to have some adventures in Hobo Alley.

I hope your smell recovers quickly man. Let us know how it goes so others can learn from it. Was it a training/competition injury?

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Don't know if this thread is still active, but:

Have you been officially diagnosed - i.e., it is certain that your disorder has originated from damage to the olefactory/sinus cavities and not nerve damage suffered deeper in your olefactory/cranial tissue?

Usually systemic corticosteroids or intranasal topical corticosteroids are indicated.

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^The doctor did not tell me . He just told me "you broke all your sinus' " and I can tell you I cant smell a thing. All clean air. Bad thing if your cars got an electrical fire starting . But I dont know the exact details of it. I dont have a way of seeing him or another doctor until later this year at best.

5. Kave

Kave Lunatic

It happened to my sister. She said it messed with her sense of taste (a large portion of flavour recognition is done by smell). Also, it would probably be wise to double-check the batteries in your smoke alarms.

6. belltoller

Arrr...understood, though it make me cringe. Did the doctor ( was it an E.R. or your regular primary care? ) know about the loss of smell? Have any way to get 'round to a clinic?

Understand if you feel you've bigger fish to fry with your healthcare budget, but you have to be proactive when it comes to how you're being treated with respect to medical services. Don't short yerself by being shy and accepting what they give you. People that make the biggest rows are the ones to go home with the biggest piece of meat, not necessarily those that are nicest or most deserving or play by the rules. Hope you follow my meaning.

Even if you can't set an appointment with the doctor, perhaps you can give that [hypothetical] admin who always seemed keen to help you a ring and briefly tell her your issue - maybe she's on good terms with the office manager - who then might kindly slip a note to the doctor and he might pull some levers on his end. Then again, you might want to save that for later down the road when you have more critical issues.

Maybe someone could rec a homeopath ( <== think I'd rather be called a witch-doctor ) who'd be willing to give treatment and would be more able to work around your circumstances than a standard M.D's constraints would allow.

The point is you have to learn to be tactfully persistent with these things.

Take Kave's advice. Hope your place uses an electric oven.

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

They tell me it should come back, and my sense of taste is all there so thats a good sign.

The temp primary care doctor told me. Im on temp medical insurance.

8. belltoller

If your taste is there, I'd not worry it, as they said. Your snout'll kick in after you heal up. Just be sure to avoid buying meat and seafood from any questionable vendor's ya might be in the habit of frequenting for a bit.

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

You done broke your sinusses, boy :)

Why?

10. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Temp insurance aka free