Loose Handed Fighting

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Paratus, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I was curious as to wheter other hapkido practioners here are taught 'took soo sun jill' (or jol?). It is a loose handed way of fighting, mainly consisting of backhand strikes, knuckle strikes, and sudo (knife hand) strikes, but also has loose-handed finger strikes to the eyes. When sparring the technique is to keep the hands in constant random motion and to strike or block out of that motion. It seems generally to be aimed at the nose-eye area but also strikes to the side of the head with outside cresent hits. The beginning stance is about halfway between a kicking stance and a boxing stance, with the hands loose and hanging at face height.

I was curious as to whether other styles of hapkido taught this, and if so, what you thought of the form of fighting. I'll try to find a short clip online if my description didn't ring any bells

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  2. bvermillion

bvermillion Valued Member

Where do you train in chicago? I train at the navy base. As far as your question we do practice alot of open handed striking. The open handed strikes we do aren't just targeted to the head area. I have never heard it called what you called it though. We don't use alot of korean terminology in our classes.

3. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

i've never seen that type of handwork in hapkido, but i have seen something very similar to what you describe (on video) in taek kyun. the hands are constantly moving.

4. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I train in the western suberbs, specifically Darien. If you want more details or what not you can PM me ;)

EDIT: About the fighting style, it isn't only eyes-nose strike oriented. The backhand strikes can be used to hit the upper-body (chest, throat, etc.)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  5. DC_Benny

DC_Benny New Member

I was taught the back hand but not a knife hand.

6. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

The knife hand would be used in the sparring as a spinning attack. As in spinning the whole body around into a strike