Loong Xing

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by herbert, Aug 26, 2007.

1. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Hi,

I was wondering how many people practice their Loong Xing with the jumping technique.

My Master has taught me Loong Xing Yi (dragon form 1) but says although he was taught the second form with the jump, he says that it is not good to practice as it can damage the knees.

So does anyone practice this? or is it also more of a modern form anyway for show?

2. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Does no one hear practice Xing Yi Quan then?

3. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

I just started and have no idea what you are talking about :D
    *Looks to middleway*

4. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I think the high leaping dragon form is probably quite good for developing your legs and would have benefits for your mobility and functional flexibility, but it is obviously a bit stylised for combat as is. Sometimes Bagua and Xingyi forms are taught with purposely bigger movements for their developmental value.

5. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Ooooooooo dont say that!! herbert has a beef with my xing yi! ha ha ha

yeh i agree with J about the developmental properties ... in fact i was taught this form for that very purpose in the main.

i was only taught one way of doing this form and it involved 3 sections.

1. grounded
    2. jumping
    3. running down.

for me .... the grounded work teaches how to safely use kwa (open and close - softly and with correct aligment) and how to use spine wave and undulation in the body amoungst a bunch of other stuff ... including how to load weight in the hip structures rather than the knees.

The jumping method teach the same things to a greater degree.

The kwa has an elastic explosive type release and the spine waves and extends... so you follow the 'leading' force created by the extension of the spine in addition to the expression of force from the coiled and loaded hips, which catapults you into the air. Then when you land, weight and power is absorbed back into the hip structures, loading you up again for the next rebound.

Imagine a cat being supprised .... its a similar sort of ping up in the air.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA_Mnz205XE&mode=related&search="]cat can jump! - YouTube[/ame]

i guess the whole idea of the jumping methods in xing yi come from battlefield times when you would have to leap over bodies etc.

anyways!

Happy training all

Chris

6. herbert

herbert Valued Member

I think I agree with you on this. That didn't hurt did it?
    The Loong Xing is so hard on the legs anyway, i'm sure like most things it is a progressive exercise.

7. jkzorya

A little. ;)

8. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Xing Yi is one of our least represented arts on MAP. We're always looking for more members of all kinds, but if you know any other Xing Yi practitioners, feel free to send them over.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I learned it both ways but don't practice it with the jump. A bit too old for that sort of thing.

10. middleway

middleway Valued Member

It doesnt have to be a deep stance and a high jump ....

:rolleyes:

11. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

What doesn't damage your knees these days? Everything is so bad for you I feel like I should go home and sit in a comfy chair every night, but then they say thats bad due to a lack of exercise.

So I decided to go out and fight and abuse my body, accepting a midlife of plastic joints!

12. middleway

middleway Valued Member

old clip of how leaping in Dragon can be used.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P_yCH2jZHWM[/ame]

doesnt have to start deep and low .... :p the only unhealthy thing knee wise here was for the other person ... who had nackered ribs after :D

cheers
    Chris

13. jkzorya

I've never seen the upwards portion of the leap used in that way before - thanks for that :)

14. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

That is what I was first taught the tech was for, but we did it more in close. It looks more like a jab with the knee when done close. We did both knees at once though.

The other was a way of taking the leg. Like to single leg shoot. Also the wrap was taught some where in there as well in the early years of my training.

Dang it, forgot to answer original question never needed to learn the staying on the just step one. When I learned it we did it as a leap each time.

The dragon form in any style of martial arts is about learning to keep fighting even off your feet! Like you jump up and attach yourself to someone than you continue with fighting. It symbolizes the mount via the air. Think like when you see those UFC guys with the legs crossed and they are on there backs the other person is standing. Maybe this help maybe not.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  15. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Interestingly, I was told the same thing about the knee, It can be a normal knee then stamp, or the rising knee strike.

Apparently I am a herbert!
    I will do the Loong Xing Er, because there is the high kick and "hop" but it is because of my own dicky knee that the jump part is not emphasised.

I've got a picture of me somewhere doing Loong Xing.
    I'll dig it out!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  16. middleway

middleway Valued Member

i think this is interesting ... its the Dai xin yi Dragon form.

Lots in there!

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m48-fzaqXw8[/ame]

Cheers
    Chris

17. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting middleway!