Looking to Start lifting again.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Over the past 6 months I have been training in the dojo pretty much 5-6 days a week, and its paid dividends in technical ability and general fitness. Now I'm looking to review my training to see if I can make any gains by substituting some of that Mat time for weight lifting sessions. I used to lift 4-5 years ago and have done little sessions now and again, but haven't done it seriously in a long time.

I'm hoping to eventually get 1 or 2 sessions of lifting in every week and was wondering if anyone here had advice or recommendations for what I should be doing as a full contact martial artist doing everything from No-gi to knock-down to stick fighting and wanting to improve his performance.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im cutting out BJJ and just sticking to wrestling and lifting this semester.
    good luck on your plans too mate!

lifting is too much fun!

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would say start with a good, basic programme concentrating on the big compound lifts. Something like Starting Strength or Stonglifts. You could also supplement with some core work and some unilateral work if you wished.

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Thanks Frodo, so Deadlifts, Squats, Cleans and maybe some single arm barbell press?

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

with only a couple of sessions to play with, I'd go for a full body routine. I'd change up the exercises from time to time, but basically go with squats, deadlifts, military presses and bench presses.

6. righty

righty Valued Member

True but I'd recommend going a bit further. Make sure to work both the push and pull aspects of movement, particularly the shoulders.

So if you do the above add something like pulls to counter the press and rows to couter the bench press.

If you are already doing MA, particularly grappling based stuff then you probably don't need to add core exercises (plank etc) as you take care of most of that on the mat. But adding these still won't hurt.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

yeah, totally. I mean, I was only talking really generally.

8. OSu,

You may not need to replace a session by another, depending on your level of fitness and equipment availability.

For strength increases:
    I do DeadLifts twice a week before a dojo class (takes me 20 min)
    I do push ups and pull ups during the day as in GTG
    and gobelet squats (holding two kettle bells & wearing a weighted vest) & swings once a week (also 20 min) (I do not have access to a squat rack, so this is the best alternative I could find)

It works well for me, I've seen plenty of strength and mass gains and I did not have to cut on the dojo time.

Osu!

9. DojoTalk

DojoTalk New Member

Bruce Lee has a well-documented routine that covered 44 days and includes his exercises, weights used and before and after measurements. I am started it today actually.

Details can be found at: http://dojotalk.com/bruce-lee-workout-bruce/

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

@ DojoTalk - ENOUGH WITH PIMPING YOUR SITE HERE AT MAP!! I'M BLOODY TIRED OF COMING INTO EVERY THREAD AND SEEING IT. ENOUGH! LAST WARNING!!

11. DojoTalk

DojoTalk New Member

slipthejab,

I apologize that you got the wrong impression of my actions. The links I provide are not for the purpose of "pimping my site". I am not a vendor or an advertiser. I make no money providing the information that I do. I'm just a martial artist that has finally decided to put some knowledge in a public format. I give a quick direct response to each question that I respond to. Additionally, every response that I make, and every post that I link, provides more thoughts on the topic and relates directly to the topic or question asked.

In this case, Giacomo asked what he should be doing to improve his martial arts performance in terms of weight lifting. I have been doing a lot of research on the very topic lately and came across one of Bruce Lee's routines. There can be little doubt that he was dedicated to the same thing that Giacomo has mentioned. I have decided to follow that routine, with the idea of seeing if "regular" martial artists can achieve the same results he did. The blog post shares his gains, exercises and weights he used. Basically, if Giacono really is interested in increasing his performance, there is no more iconic representation of that than Bruce Lee. I simply wanted to share that information and my experience following his routine.

I apologize if this was misunderstood or my intentions were unclear however it is much easier to provide a reference to the article mentioned than to rewrite the entire article on this site. Again, I apologize for any offense.

Terry

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  12. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

I wish that were the case.

Our Dojo sessions are hellish.. hence the name of our Dojo "Jigoku Dojo", so I need all the strength I can muster for them. I recently burnt out for a week thanks to my regime -its a wonder I didn't burn out earlier- so if anything I have to cut down my regime to something my body will handle better in the long run.

Thanks for the advice though! Osu!