looking into punchbags total noob on the subject

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by furinkazan, Sep 13, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Ok so im getting really into sparring and conditioning, and found in the garage we had a kids punchbag and gloves that we must have had some time ago. We still have the space to suspend a bag though, and got me thinking about getting myself one for christmas or something. I was thinking, is there anything I should be looking to consider when looking at the size and weight of the bag in comparison to myself? Like, is there a 'too light/heavy/big/small' when it comes to these?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Just boxing or kicking as well?

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Can't go wrong with a Muay Thai bag. Satisfies both kicking and punching. The one I have (see pic below) is a solid 68kg. I like the fact that I can have it resting on the floor reducing the swing to almost nothing which lets one really lay into it.

Just make sure your mounting is mechanically sound if you go with the larger, heavier bags or you're going to have problems. I was fortunate enough that the basement of our house was partly unfinished which allowed me access to reinforce the ceiling joists, mount it on sistered-beams, etc.

But its great. As good as anything the boxing gyms I went to had.

[​IMG]

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If it's just boxing, I really like those uppercut bags you attach to the wall. Good for every type of punch, whereas a regular bag is more suited to straights and hooks. It also takes up less space.

5. Unreal Combat

You can get bags shaped for uppercuts as well which allow you to work angles nicely.

6. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Kicking as well, since I train kickboxing now

7. Unreal Combat

What's your budget?

8. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

between £70-120