looking for...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by battlestone, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battlestone

battlestone New Member

more desgin ideas for building the best weapon rack,
    and any info on how to get a japanesse made samuri sword, when I have little to no money to spend on it.

2. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Are you freakin' serious?
    You want a authentic japanese sword fo next to $0?
    Good luck bucko...

sigh.

3. battlestone

battlestone New Member

hey it's christmas shoping time Im broke now!

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Get a good job. Be patient. Grow up.

Oh, and because it's christmas, it dosn't mean your going to get an authentic japanese sword cheap. Be prepared to fork out many thousands of dollars.

5. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I think you should ask yourself why you need a "proper" Katana?

Do you have any formal sword training?

6. battlestone

battlestone New Member

-yeah i have some formal trainning and a lot of self trainning, and a whole lot of practice useing it in sparing this last two years.
    Also what would you fell more comfortable with a cheap knockoff that could break eaisly, or the real thing. Also I am a collector of weapons. Thats why Im try ing to build a weapons rack, one that will hold every different type of weapon I have and look nice.
    my step father is good with wood and I can make blue prints of small stuff pretty well.
    So we could build one just looking for ideas on it.

7. Shadow_of_Evil

You're self taught with a sword?
    *sighs*

Anyhoo, if you can afford an authentic japanese sword (which you can't) then you can afford to be a weapons rack.

8. battlestone

battlestone New Member

thats rude but funny, Even though I dont know any one who would want to be the rack

9. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

So how much weapon training do you have?

10. vickbd

vickbd New Member

He wants a Katana and is not talking about the training he has. So what if he's self-taught? It doesn't really concern you, just keep the comment to yourself and let him do what he wants to do. <- Not directed at Spooky.

And a Katana for "Thousands of dollars"?..
    You can get one for less than a thousand.

Yeah, so what :rolleyes: ?

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) he meant Christmas shopping time as in he has spent most of his money on family and friends already and not thinking to get a 90% discount off a Katana.

I don't think you should plan on buying one right now since you've no money left. Work hard and maybe sometime soon you'll be able to afford one. My advice would not to get a cheap one if you plan on swinging it around and may get seriously injured.

Good luck..

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  11. Shadow_of_Evil

You can get one for less than a thousand.

An authentic JAPANESE MADE sword for less than $1000?
    Sounds like a scam to me.

Oh and it does matter if he is self taught Self taught people shouldn't be handling live blades. It only takes on small mistake to kill yourself. According to battlestone's post in another thread, he can't even use nunchakus without hurting himself, god knows how he's going to do with a live katana blade.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What a funny thread. :bang:

13. vickbd

vickbd New Member

It's just that I don't know why people are SO against self-teaching. It was done once right? How do you think these arts were created? By self-teaching... If it could've been done back then, why not today?

Well I'd probably assume they were much wiser and careful back then and not as ignorant as some people are today but it still can be done. Yeah I know you just don't want to see him hurt himself (correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes: ) but let it be his decision. It just seems like EVERYONE is really against it. As if there should be a law forbidding self teaching. Don't get me wrong, I also think learning from an instructor is the way to go but heck I'll say it the 1000th time, "It still can be done!".

As for hurting yourself with nunchakus: Sometimes pain is a good teacher. It just depends on how hard the pain is. We all have our ways of learning.

*I hate to be the one disagreeing with you Shadow :eek: *

Back on topic: Battlestone, would the katana you'de want to get be for decorative reasons or more of a swinging around one? If you want one for decoration, you can pay high prices for an authentic one or just go with a 440 stainless steel since your budget is real tight.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

vickbd,

The reason that people on MAP are so weary when it comes to n00bs wanting to self-teach weapons like Katana is that a large sharp blade can be extremely detrimental to your health. While no one starts off to sever their thumb... or God forbid their arm or a major artery- it's a very real possibility with something like a katana.

Another reason would be that time for a beginner would be better spent not teaching yourself bad technique by drilling it into muscle memory. Bad moves that will only have to be 'unlearned'....

15. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Yeah I'd have to agree almost 110% that self-teaching ok a Katana from scratch isn't really a brilliant idea. But BattleStone claims he has had some formal training and what not.

A better way to self-teach would be to have knowledge from every bit. Example: Learn a bit from books/movies, a bit from teacher and other sources. Put them all together and start from there. But again, he claims to have some formal teaching of some kind. Also he has neve said anything about using a katana to teach himself to use it, but mostly as a decorative item.

I wouldn't necesseraly call 'em "n00bz0rs" as that is a very annoying word, maybe not to you but to me :cool: . Also that type of word is what's used in almost every online video game out there which is one of the reasons I quit online gaming.

Whatever, no big deal. Just haven't seen that word for a looooong time :D :D .

16. Shadow_of_Evil

Long story short: He is a martial arts n00b with no proper weapons training and he wants alive blade.
    He should be smart about it and get some proper experience with weaponary before playing around with them.

As for hurting yourself with nunchakus: Sometimes pain is a good teacher. It just depends on how hard the pain is. We all have our ways of learning

Oh I agree. However, nunchakus just bruise you when you stuff up, a sharp katana however, well, that'll either kill you or leave you a bit lighter.

17. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Yeah good point but let's remember that he's mostly asked for decor purposes. He only pointed it that he had some training but never clearly said he wanted to toy with it.

18. Shadow_of_Evil

The fact that he wants a authentic japanese made sword makes me believe he wants a live blade.

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

me too.

20. Shadow_of_Evil

...which is a scary thought. If more or more martial arts n00bs get weapons then hurt themselves, it can make it harder for others, especially if they decide to change laws regarding weapons. It happened in Australia, I don't want it to happen everywhere else.

Besides, battlestone, do you want to hurt yourself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.