looking for very cheap training.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bum-eyes, Sep 24, 2005.

1. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

Okay, heres the situation. I've just moved to Christchurch (around the centre of New Zealand's south island, in case you were wondering) and I'm so strapped for cash it's just not cool. Is there any way I can get a little experience in martial arts for little or no money? Besides starting fights with passers-by, that is.

2. bum-eyes

I guess it was too much to hope for...

3. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

Try a local YMCA or community centre. If there are no affordable classes offered, try talking to instructors in your area and see if they will trade a little work for training. I did my club's website in exchange for training...maybe there is something that you can offer. Final option--put up a notice somewhere asking for people who want to practice outside their training, and learn/practice with them.

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I'd suggest approaching the instructors directly also. The good ones aren't often in it for the money, so some sort of arrangement could be made.

It might help if you thoroughly research the art that you want to take up, and use it to demonstrate that you are serious about learning (same way you would research a company before going for a job interview). Don't turn up hoping to get cheap/free lessons, but approach it with a question like "I have no way of paying for training at the moment, but I'm really keen to start ....., can I sit in on some lessons until my finances are better?" After a while of you turning up regularly, I would have thought they would allow you to join in on a lesson, even if you ask to "buy now, pay later" kind of thing.

I think the important thing is to show dedication and comitment, not just someone looking for a freebie :) What are your finance prospects? Will they get better in time?

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

why on earth would you want to go to christchurch of all places?

6. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

Bum-eyes,try the Academy of Combat there is a Dojo were you live,the instructors name is Geoff Aitken,you should be able to sort something out with him.

Good luck

7. bum-eyes

I'm getting a job sometime this week, but I'll probably be on a pretty low salary and I'll need most of it to keep myself fed and sheltered as well as to fuel my e-cafe addiction.

I heard it was cheap to stay is the south island. I was going to go to Invercargil but the airfare was too expensive. And I love it here. There's a whole heap of hot punk chicks, good cheap Asian food, and a great church just down the road. It's perfect for me.

8. hux

hux ya, whatever.

we have one kid who trains in exchange for coming in and sweeping/mopping the place once a week, and just kind of tidying up in general. he's one of our best students.