Looking for the right Black Belt

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by cnocmmz, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cnocmmz

cnocmmz New Member

Good day
    I am looking for the right Black Belt to learn a rare traditional Style "Okinawa Kenpo" (not Kempo) from a 6th Dan. I say this because I am getting older now and I would like to pass on my style to an adult black belt besides my grandson who is only 6 years old. My Master recently passed away and wanted this style to be spread around however, he demanded that we sparingly show the right people. Yes, there are some Okinina Kenpo practioners but the true traditionalists all know each other and studied under our Grandmaster Seikichi Odo who studied under Shigeru Nakamura (founder). I am only looking for a young shodan or Nidan who is lost and is really not happy in their style because either their style is a combination of several styles, has no real roots or clarity, or just wants to learn something that has real history. Please only serious inquiries!
    All the best in your studies as a karate-ka
    Sensei Z

2. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

I'm on the wrong coast so it's not an option for me, but I would suggest documenting your style as much as possible, both written and video, as soon as you can. As you say, you're getting older and even if you never show them to anyone else those writings and videos will be priceless to your grandson one day.

3. cnocmmz

cnocmmz New Member

Thank you for the quick response, I am a simple man and learned from a simple person overseas. There will not be any videos it has to be in person because the bunkai needs to be understood. Once you make the different BB levels there are several techniques to understand. We also have one of the most extensive traditional weapons training then most other styles. Thank you for your kind words
    Sensei Z

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

so simple that you recruit over the internet?

"There will not be any videos it has to be in person because the bunkai needs to be understood" sure thing ;) how about some video of you sparring?

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This is strangely sad

* If you did not wish your lineage to "die out", why haven't you, or your peers, or instructors, formed a org and opened up schools in the past?

* How did you come to learn this art?

* And, because this forum is a large international community, do you think you could recruit anyone from such distances?

My suggestion;
    Put up flyers around your area within 50 miles;
    Something like;
    "Karate Instructor Seeks Apprentice"
    OR
    If you know people in academic schools to pass it on

6. cnocmmz

cnocmmz New Member

-That may be a good idea with the flyers.
    -I will interview the right person
    -We did not advertise in the past only a handful of senior black belts

thanks

7. Killa_Gorillas

how about putting up a comprehansive history of your art? With dates locations and teachers etc?

8. Osu Cnocmmz,

Hummmmmm, that is a very strange proposition to convey over the internet...

Osu!

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I've read stranger....:evil:

10. 47MartialMan

11. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

12. cnocmmz

cnocmmz New Member

No however, they are well qualified Black belts in the Okiniawa Kenpo style. You see as most of you know, people branch off and these individuals did. The 9th Degree I trained under is a direct student for over 35 years from the past Sensei Odo. These folks came from other styles and so controversy came about. I do respect all of them, they are just not with my federation of Kenpo, even though they are Okinawa Kenpo (if you know what I mean). Those of you out there Yandan or higher, understand what I am saying.

13. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

So the main website for your martial art has all of the people who defected to start their own arts, but doesn't have you on there?

I'm confused. In the first post you said:

But now you're saying:

Am I missing something? You introduced yourself as training under the grandmaster, and now are saying you actually trained under one of his students? What is the name of the 9th degree you trained under? Just curious.

14. cnocmmz

cnocmmz New Member

We know only what we think we know

Osu
    We as a country have not really understood traditional karate. Yes we have seen it on TV, trained from individuals who have different intentions then really learning the true art of karate. FOr instance, we here in VA beach have dojo on every block and they charge between $120-140.00 with a contract for 12-24 months. This is how they make there living so I undertand. For me, I teach on a military base and only charge $35.00 monthy (no overhead) and I hold a very strict class like I was taught in Okiniawa and furthered in Hawaii. I am told by friends who teach locally if I taught like that in town I could not keep the students I would need to keep to at least pay the lease of the building!
    I too was a lucky boy at age 19 and walked in a dojo in Okinawa one time and thought I would just try it out and now at age 51 I am looking for that special young person I can train up. I like the gentleman's idea who mentioned I should make a flyer for an appentice and I should post it in the general facility.

Thanks all of you for your words and ideas. Best to all of you and the furthering of your arts

15. cnocmmz

cnocmmz New Member

Actually under both, Grandmaster Odo and my instructor was the late Sensei Joseph Bunch. He was promoted to 9th Dan by the organization in Hawaii after his death. He was an 8th Dan.

16. 47MartialMan

Therefore, your org, or the very foundation of it, will still be passed/carried on

17. Killa_Gorillas

How about this guy? I hear he's having some problems with the local youths.

[​IMG]

18. 47MartialMan

That was oddly funny

19. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

I think you'd be much better served not shopping around for existing black belts. They will come to you with a whole host of misconceptions and "bad habits" that you will spend a lot of time training out of them.

I think you'd (and your art) be better served teaching a beginner be they an older or a younger student. And if you get black belts that come along the way, still train them. Just saying focusing on black belts may be an uphill battle.

The black belts that have come into our style from the outside have often quit very quickly because they think they know everything already and just want to be in charge.

20. cnocmmz

cnocmmz New Member

No, when the Grandmaster passed everyone sort went in their own direction except for our Sensei (who recently passed) and he was trying to keep his dream in check.