Looking for the name of a Judo throw

Discussion in 'Judo' started by jmf552, Nov 3, 2021.

1. jmf552

jmf552 Member

I was taught a throw in Muay Thai of all things, which they just call a "foot sweep," but I recognize it as a Judo throw. It is shown at 2:20 in the linked video. It could be mistaken for one of the "ahsi" throws in Judo, except that Uke's leg is not actually swept. The leg has weight on it and Tori just blocks it from moving. The throw is accomplished, not by moving Uke's leg, but by shifting this body over the blocked leg. I'd like to know the proper name of that throw.

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Hiza guruma, I'd say:

3. jmf552

jmf552 Member

Thanks. That's close, but the foot contact on that one is above the knee, hence the name "Knee Wheel." But your answer was useful in that it sent me down a different trail in my internet search. I think it is Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi.

axelb likes this.
  4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Technically where you put the foot isn't really the difference, but whether you lift him then prop the leg out (sasae) or just block his leg and turn him (hiza), which is why for the MT video I went with the latter, as he's twisting him from long-ish range rather than stepping in and lifting at all. Often the difference is a matter of degree and only really of interest to massive Judo nerds.

That video is... not great, much better one from the Kodokan channel like my post above:

axelb and jmf552 like this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This sasae is pure dirt. Love it.

axelb and jmf552 like this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

brilliant, right into side control also! I bet he felt that the next day.

I used to use these leg trips a lot in my judo days, but never figured out how to use them in MMA. I guess the Muay Thai setup is the option for no gi.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

This isn't quite the same thing, but I've seen both of these people do similar Thai set ups for these type of trips:
    I assumed it was a sanda thing for Zhang, but the little I've seen of Saenchai he uses them a lot.
    So maybe it's common in both, or Zhang gets it from her Thai training.
    (I obviously don't watch enough Thai)