Looking for something more........

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Labatt, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Labatt

Labatt New Member

TKD is awesome, It will always be a part of my life. However, it canno't offer me what I desire.

I want to be able to Block Anything. Not only Block anything, but to be able to block and then counter with kicks. In any situation.

I know how to block, I know how to kick, but TKD does not teach to reaction time, and how to do it when in a fight. Sparring is different.

Do you understand what I mean? And help me out?

2. paihequan

paihequan Valued Member

Labatt :

You are at a point many will come to within their martial arts study. How you choose to go forward is something that must be entirely up to you and will be fuelled by your personality, needs and desires.

My advice is to look around at different arts until you find that one that you 'click' with. Take your time, don't rush as nothing worth learning is learned quickly.

Research, read, discover and you will come across that which you seek.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

You have to figure out what it really is you desire, and look for someone who can give that to you.

First, it is impossible to block "everything".

Second countering with kicks outside a TKD like environment is very different then within a TKD environment.

I think I see the problem, you want to be able to use Sport TKD skills outside a sport TKD environment.

Unfortunately things don't work like that, TKD is certainely a fine sport and a worthwhile activity, but it is not "real" fighting, the rules are to influencial on the way people act. The skills used are different then those required for "real" fighting.

Think so, and not really.

You want two different things to be the same. TKD, as it is most often taught, is not about "real" fighting, it is about sporting competition based on fighting. The skills are different, and trying to use the skills of one within the other is not a good idea. It can be done, its just not the best method.

Anyone teaching "real" fighting is not going to teach TKD style techniques, they are not all that valuable in that environment. They can be made to work, if you have a base in the other skills of that environment.

So you have to make a choice. Do you want to do TKD, in a TKD way? Or do you want to do something else, which is closer to "real"? But to do what is "real", you must do it the way that is "real", you cannot do it the way you would like it to be otherwise we'd be seeing UFC champions with wushu as there style...

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

... an admirable goal. But it's not going to happen.

There's always a bigger (and faster) fish.

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

first i'll say TKD is a good art but just to say that it's sport then i won't agree with u...it's just big generalisation u r making it.
    suggesting it can't work in real... again i m saying gerneralising...
    it depends how u learn n how u r taught it has nothing to do with art... u can learn KF n be a chicken **** u can learn MMA n be a chicken...
    but as said earlier u shouldn't just close ur mind/eyes, learn to be aware all the time n learn from ur environment, be it MA or Non MA
    -TkdWarrior-

6. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

Your concern is valid, and I'm glad you've explored the realm outside your scope of TKD to see that there is more out there.

TKD can teach you a lot, and there's few other arts that put as much power into kicking, and I know exactly what you're talking about in terms of sparring...

I would take Muay Thai or JKD, Muay Thai specifically will give you the hand work that you need but still let you use some power in your kicks with some solid Thai kicks...

but you know what is best for you, look at the clubs/schools in your area and do some research and see what vibes you get...

good luck,
    JOE

7. Labatt

Labatt New Member

What about JKD Shadow?

Ok guys, listen up for a second. You say that using TKD kicks which in some cases are considered " Fancy" kicks in "Real" life canno't be performed in "real" life.

But...........I have to admitt it...........that's what I want. U see I don't want submission self defence fighting(im not that type of guy if you've noticed) but I wan't TKD style stuff in REAL life.
    Now you say it can't be done...

...but who knows, maybe, if I work at it, it can. Right???

That's why im looking for a school that wil Teach me how to use TKD type of kicks in REAL life. Understand? I will be looking, but if u know what im talking about continue to help me.

Thank you

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ok if u want TKD to use in Reality.
    then do these
    1. practice stomping side kick with ur lead leg.
    2. roundhouse with ur wrong leg.
    3. learn how to use shin kicks/knees.
    4. make ur Jab powerful n faster with ur right hand n cross with ur left n lots of elbows.
    5. lots of footwork(back stepping/side stepping/charging fast).
    6. learn n understand chin-na(u can get good series from yang Jwing Ming).
    7. fight against grapplers/wrestlers/boxers/anyone u want to.

so in here u r using three kicks(side,roundhouse, front), two punches, one elbow n knee that's it.
    i don't think u can do much better training than that...
    u can't use turning kicks(u can but never show ur back to ur oppnt)
    u can use high kicks provided u hav good base with kicks n power with lots of speed...
    when u learn to generate speed learn about positioning
    positioning is powerful than strength n faster than speed(i forgot who said this but it's very rite)
    -TkdWarrior-

9. Jazman

Jazman New Member

"2. roundhouse with ur wrong leg."

Don't quite get how any leg can be wrong leg, or did you mean lead leg?

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol sorry it would be opposite to ur lead leg(assuming that ur lead leg is powerful one)
    i forgot to write this ...
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Helm

Helm New Member

Hmm yeah labatt, i know what you mean....

I was thinking of doing something like Wushu (to learn some cool flippy stuff) or Muai Thai as i already have the kicks.
    Im just gonna look around my area for some schools...

12. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

if this is your attitude, definitely find a good JKD school. I mean seriously good though, heavy research. There's only about two school's in my area I would consider going to including my own. JKD can really give you some freedom and teach you a lot of practical flash if you get the right instruction. I've just seen too many schools that are "fight clubs" that don't offer any real skill besides "get in there are spar!" Make sure that whatever you look into puts emphasis on balance, form, proper stances, and sparring, the whole package, just like any other MA.

"fancy" kicks CAN work, but you have to know the moment to do them, practice creating those moments and acting on them. However you have to realize that things like a spinning jumping axe kick are going to put you at risk in alsmot any situation.

Of course there are many flashy things you can do with most arts, but the thing you have to ask yourself is, am I doing this because I want flash? Or am I doing this because I just want to be the best student I can be, learn the best art I can and apply it. If it happens to have flash, so be it...

skillful people will always appear flashy and mystifying even when not trying to be....

JOE

13. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Im gonna keep searching.
    TKDwarrior, those are good rules. I do many of them already.

14. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

TKD, you are right, in a way. My school does Chin Na. Not "in depth" like I would like, but it works. I have also studied Thai Boxing. With these in combo with TKD could work. I agree.

Labatt, if I wanted more out of TKD, I went looking for it. I did Thai boxing to strengthin my kicks. I did jujitsu (when I did TSD) to strengthin my ground game and joint locks. I did Combat Hapkido (My TSD instructor taught it anyhow) to strengthin my self defense. With TKD, I still wanted more ground work, joint locks, and throws. So I do Judo.

I'm not saying TKD doesn't teach this stuff, but some schools don't. Like mine. They don't teach throws, ground work, and some joint locks. I went looking for it. And what I found that does it is Judo.

You have to go outside your dojang/art to find what you are looking for sometimes. It doesn't mean you have to study another art for years and years. Just get what you want from it, and adapt it to TKD. I did. It works. My TKD is much stronger because of it.

Try Thai boxing to use kicks for self defense. If you want to use "fancy kicks" for real, you have to practice, and be VERY fast to use it for real. To be honest, I wouldn't use "fancy kicks" for real eventhough I can do them. It's too risky. It's just my opinion, though.

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

well i m not saying do MT as TKD n MT both r kicking arts so u won't be able to find much good from it(except the conditioning part), TKD is an art for self defense with hands/feet, so just make it that way... the way i do is *My Version* of TKD, simple.
    -TkdWarrior-