looking for silat training in san dieg, ca area

Discussion in 'Silat' started by CHECKMATE, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Well according to CHI GUNG masters There is ALWAYS a subtlity that can be learned through touching hands with people who touched hands with a real Master. I am sure Guru Rudy passed on his art and his "silat vibes" to his students that where closest to him. Sometimes if you "tune in" its like downloading.

2. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Yep, that is my experience. They move in VERY MUCH the same manner as Rudy. At least the Rudy that I've seen in our private videos. Not Unique Publications, vids of private training.

3. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

application

Well, there's some truth to that but I don't think it's magical by any sense of the word and I don't believe that it is complete. Or, if it is complete, it gets blended with that person and becomes something at least slightly different.

4. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

Obtw

OBTW, I wasn't really talking about application or even skill, I was literally talking about listening to Guru Roedy relate his experiences and his wisdom on pencak silat and how he has changed over the years (or even if he has changed and why or why not).

As for me, I'm not searching for anything else in pencak silat. The seminar I will be giving in SD will hopefully show why.

5. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Sean there is always room to grow....Even my Guru is still learning and researching.

If I where you I would pay a visit to Guru Rudy's students for history sake alone it would be more than an experience. I know I plan to when I can get out west again.

I hope to always search. There are too many stones to still uncover.

Peace

Santiago Dobles

6. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

Growth

Selamat Santiago

Perhaps you've read into what I wrote a bit too far.

I said I wasn't searching anymore - that's not the same as training, learning, and growing AND ultimately I'm not searching outside of the art that I have but I still search within it all the time. Growth is a requirement imo to claim to be a martial artist. I've found my home in MA and specifically within Pencak Silat, please don't try to convince me that I should follow your path.

You can spend your time training what you want and with whom you want. As for me, I am more than satisfied with the path that lay in front of me already. It will be decades before I get through turning over these stones (maybe, if I'm focused and work hard). I don't need another path to look at. To me, looking at other paths and other methods is a sign of insecurity, doubt, or lack of focus. I don't say that to be rude - I'm just speaking from my own personal experience.

The first 10 years I was in the martial arts, I spent my time looking at many different paths. I studied multiple things for years on end only to discover the answers I was looking for in a single thing. It has taken me another couple of years to realize that constantly looking at other things was actually hurting me.

I know, this isn't what we see in the current trend of martial arts, but I have a destination in mind, I am on the path, and deviations will only ultimately distract or slow me down. There is limited time and tomorrow may be my last day - heck - today could be it. I'm not going to do what I did the first decade and as I close this second decade I will be more focused than ever.

Does that mean I couldn't learn from contact from any other guru. No, of course not. I would be a fool to think that. I've learned plenty that I continue to carry now, from people I only spent a short time with. However, and more importantly, one thing I've learned from all of them is the necessity to focus on one thing and study it to it's ends.

If it's Serak for you, then I suggest you do that. If it's RA then do that. For me, it's neither.

7. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Sorry there Sean it just came off rather pretentious from you as it was written.

Maybe I read it wrong?

When did I?

Train what you wish and as you wish no one is stopping you here.

I just felt your comment was pretentious then again who am I?

Peace

Santiago

8. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Oh, so you're the one that sent me that E-mail...

When did we?

Then, why would you want to talk to Rudy, or any master outside of your choses style? Hmmmm....
    I hope that this isn't your plug for that seminar in San Diego. It's not, is it? Because if it is, I think that you should take some marketing classes at your local community college or something. You shouldn't alienate your target audience right off the bat. Most of your attendents would probably have been fellow Silat folks coming to see what you've got going on, & seeking some fellowship. & if we follow your example, then we should just stick with our own styles, since that's our path. See what I'm saying?

You're getting off on the wrong foot, I'd say.
    Good Luck, tho.

9. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

convincing

Well perhaps we have misunderstood each other, because the sentence above strikes me as an attempt to convince me of the need to visit these folks. Which to me is presumptuous considering we don't really know each other...

You strike me as a nice guy Santiago and one who is trying to be helpful. I didn't take it any other way. My reply was only intended to help us get beyond some things and unfortunately in email/web formats I sometimes sound too direct and even confrontational.

In any case:
    I am not looking for new material as it concerns pencak silat. I am however, looking to continue to more deeply understand what I've already been taught, grow as a teacher, grow as a human being, father, husband, etc. (Yes, it's coming slowly.... very slowly...)

I am not looking for new arts. New/different arts rarely hold any special keys in my experience mostly just different ones.

I am not looking for the silat master. I've met a few already and there will always be more. In reality I need more hours working hard at what the people who have gone before have already taught me in order to better honor them. To me at least, it does not bring honor to them if I chase around after others, - as if - they haven't taught me something of value already.

I am not looking to inherit any fabled silat lineage. The lineage I want to inherit I'm already a part of and it is by no means fabled, or important. My only hope is that by the time I die, I am worthy of the material that is in it.

10. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

So, you're on ONE path?

I don't get it...
    How can you not be interested in other style? Is it because the two handfuls of styles is enough?

11. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

I already answered this I think...?

For the conversation. Literally, just to talk, I'm not saying - as I have already said - that there is nothing to learn from these folks. There is. I just got the impression that people were talking about physical material since the idea of training seemed to be there... In any case, I already answered this in response to Santiago.

That was precisely my point with wanting to talk with Guru Roedy and, if the opp ever comes, others such as guru Frank D. and anyone else. I am very big on the idea of fellowship. Heck, I was at least a large part of why the Gathering of the Tribes was formed. I've also invited several guru to attend the annual training camp that we hold every year just for that very thing and at my expense. Personally, I would love to roam around the country meeting all silat players but it's just not feasible for me at this stage in life. In any case, that wasn't the point of what I was saying.

12. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

So is there a particular reason that you feel the need to be antagonistic?
    We have hardly ever spoken. Is it because I don't feel the need to be involved with RA and because you are?

There is only one path that I teach and many of the arts listed on that page were simply listed out of respect for those guru-guru silat who taught me even one or two things. Adat says to give tribute or respect where it is due. I have done that. Sorry it bothers you.

13. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

On that note, did I misunderstand your email anouncing your 4hr, $50 seminar, that is a 2hr drive for me all the way to SD.
    I don't know you. I would say that your email is presumptuous. JMO...
    Enter the word "presumptuous" :rolleyes:
    Step 1. Open Mouth.

Step 2. Insert Foot (preferably unwashed)

Step 3. Wiggle Toes to dislodge any debris.

Step 4. Savor the flavor.

Repeat as need, or desired.

14. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

No... IT'S BECAUSE I RECEIVED AN UNSOLICITED E-MAIL FROM YOU ADVERTISING YOUR GROSSLY OVERPRICED SEMINAR.

You advertise your seminar, while at the same time proclaiming that you are not in the least interested in other arts. Why don't you find someone you know who is skilled in critical thinking to read this thread and tell you where you're going wrong. Or perhaps, hire a professional to do your advertising, someone who knows how to appeal to potential customers rather than repel them.

Oh, & why would I drive down to SD and pay $50 for 4hrs with you, when I already pay about that PER MONTH to train with someone with HALF A CENTURY of Silat to teach? ;)

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  15. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

Does this mean you don't love me anymore?

16. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Love is a precious commodity around these here parts, son. You've got my respect since you've got good taste in MAs, that's about it.

'Asta...

17. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

The love is overwhelming. Still again, you've twisted what I said. As I said, all teachers and all arts have something to learn from (though I didn't say it exactly like that). That makes me interested in them, however, I think it's at least silly for me to look for yet more, when there is still years of work to do with the arts I've already been involved with. Someday you may understand what I'm saying.

The martial arts are interesting to me, specifically the silat "community." If I suggest to you that I don't want to learn what your teacher has (or system), it is seen as being prideful, stupid, disrespectful, etc. when in reality it doesn't have anything to do with that. I quite simply, don't think it would help and me not because I couldn't learn from it, but because it would be a fork in the road type of deviation.

Take it personally if you want to. It's entirely your perogative.

As for you coming to a seminar that I teach at. It's entirely up to you. I didn't mention it on here for you and those who already have teachers, but for those, like the original poster, who don't have ps that is accessible to them.

As for the email. I have a few thousand of them. None of whom say they are or aren't practitioners of ps already so it's a shotgun blast. You could of course just let me know and I'll gladly take you off the list. God knows I don't need the grief.

As for the seminar, I'm promoting it to help my students in SD whether or not you like it. I get the same amount whether 5 or 200 come (I'm sure there's some sort of wrong in that too...).

18. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

YOU don't even get what you're saying.
    This is the internet. Why would I take it personally?
    Oh, okay. I got it after looking at your website.

Hey Man, good luck with your Silat instuctional video empire. Hope it all works out for you.

PS: I would suggest for anyone that's actually interested in Pentjak Silat to find a teacher to train with. Silat is terribly complex, probably the most complex art I've ever had the pleasure to train in, and ONE CLASS a week with a real person would benefit you more than trying to sit in your living room learning from vids.

19. Silat Junkie

Silat Junkie New Member

We do actually agree on this point despite what you might think. And three or four classes a week even more than one. Each for several hours.

20. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Cool

You still using sera, Serak at all when you teach or train?

Bruno called me to train him.

You should call Guru Bruno Cruicchi and find out when he is coming to see me next week maybe you could join him when he comes to study Serak.
    You are welcome to come hang and train and share.

Peace

Santiago Dobles