Looking for official Tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu schools

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by DoH, Jan 31, 2004.

1. DoH

DoH New Member

I'd prefer something close to me but i know this is a very rare art (well alot of places claim to have it most are bull)
    Only my budget can stop me i dont really care if i have to move to japan itself just not rich nuff to do so :p

So anyways i live in Montreal quebec canada
    anything close would be nice or anything in north america..

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

There is a dojo based in North America, Washington state affiliated with the Hombu dojo in Narita, Japan. The instructor, Mr. Phil Relnick is a highly ranked exponent of the ryuha and has lived in japan for over a decade. He also teaches Shinto Muso ryu jo, but I am pretty sure that you can't persue both at the same time.

Here's the dojo webpage Good luck

3. Pyro

Pyro New Member

Nice Koryu!

One of the oldest authenticated Koryu. You will be hard pressed to find a school in USA. There are what, maybe 2 or 3 total. I wish I had the money to go to Japan and study. I wish you well in your search.

P.S. Didn't realise how old this topic was, sorry.

4. Katori_jingu

Katori_jingu New Member

actually, there are way more than people think. If you study in an aikido school under Sugawara sensei it's very likely that they teach katori as well. I've studied in two different schools that teach it and that's just in Santa rosa Ca. it's not as rare as you think

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Aside from this thread being 16 years old-

how many authorized-as in legit- instructors are there in Canada/U.S.?