Looking for Hapkido instructor in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by imoir10, Aug 27, 2007.

1. NYCHAPKIDO

NYCHAPKIDO New Member

Kevin,

I think you and I may just be jealous that we can't trace our lineage back to Bodhidharma, the 28th Patriarch of Buddhism.

I think "authentic Hapkido" is a rather strange term. I think "Orthodox Hapkido" is a better term. To state that something is authentic it means that everything else is less than authentic or fake.

Now, 70% of the KHF is made up of people that are from Ji's lineage. But 30% come from different branches such as our President Kim, Jong Yun who comes from the SinMoo Kwan in Daegu and his teacher was Kim, Moo-Hong, senior to Ji Han Jae and a direct student of Doju Choi. Is President Kim not doing Authentic Hapkido?

IMHO neither Ji or Choi came up with the name Hapkido. I believe that Jung Moo Kwan first used it, Ji took it and made it household name (without any Japanese bias attached to it) and I think that Choi used it since they were trying to unite everyone under the Kido Association.

Why would Choi, who was proud of his learning under Takeda want to change to a Korean sounding name... especially since it uses the same characters as Aikido (If he studied with Takeda he had to know Ueshiba who used the name Aikido in 1942 when Choi was still in Japan)? Some of the earliest students claimed he taught Daito Ryu or Yawara and that he never referred to it as Hapkido.

So if you told me you were teaching Authentic Yawara or even Authentic Daito Ryu I could swallow that. I believe that Master Lim refers to it as Orthodox Hapkido, and I believe that he can claim that. As can other Kwans especially in the Taegu area.

With that being said my lineage is thru Ji, from Masters Yu Chun Hee and Won Kil Soo of the Chun Do Kwan. No Forms... agree with you 100% on that. We practiced some high kicks as a way of building strength and stretching and getting flexible, never to be used in combat, 90% of our kicks were below the stomach and ribs. Nothing flashy....that's why we don't run the KHF demo team :)

I think we both can agree that much of what we see today as "bad Hapkido" and this is due to many of the associations selling out and outside of Korea letting people run loose and really harm what we love. From my view the Kwan matters more than the association, some Kwans are about money and power... that's is not the case with the Chun Do Kwan and many others in the KHF. Like all organized groups... some are good some not so good.

What is your take on Chin Il Chang? If he decided to step up and lead and try and unite the various kwans and associations would Jung Ki follow him? Since he was Choi's choice to lead the system I assume his Hapkido is the most "orthodox". How is his authority viewed by your Kwan. By the way I am very happy to see Jung ki grow in the US... I think it is great for everyone.

Kevin F, Donohue
    KHF-USA
    NY

2. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

The British hapkido Assoc'n as far as I know .

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

authentic hapkido? does that even exist?

4. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

Exactly ,and more to the point ,does it matter ?

5. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

Hapkido club in Glasgow

Yeah there is one in Pollokshields at the Nan Makay hAll at 7.15 pm on a wednesday . Its on St. johns Road . I don't think you're allowed to post phone numbers so if you're serious we'll see you there . I 've been going for a few months and it gets better and better .I guess you just have to try it

6. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

Sorry I got the time wrong ,its 7pm . That explains why I'm always late !!!

7. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

Did you get the message?

8. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

Hi there
    Good to hear from you .
    The class hasn't been going for all that long and to be honest its still developing which is partly why I find it quite exciting . its only an 1.5 hours long . There are a few varied grades but the instructors are excellent and quite experienced. Theeres absolutely no website and it is kinda a bit spit and polish at the moment but everyweek seems to bring another change. We've got a few people who've done other stuff ,I'm a TKD 1st dan and I can see through some of the glamour to know when i'm getting something of actual value . Even though its being run out of a tiny little hall in Pollokshields its got a good atmosphere . In terms of the lineage and all that to be honest I haven't got a clue ,I know its affiliated to the British Hapkido Assoc'n but thats all I know . Incidentally I'm only a Yellow belt so I'm just starting out in terms of Hapkido . The main teacher is a 4th dan but seems very experienced ,theres another chap who's a 2nd dan but the main organiser of the club in terms of admin etc is going for his black belt soon so in that terms its a bit unusual. We have a few other beginners and it has basically grown through word of mouth . BTW whats your interst in Hapkido ? Have you done anything else ? Are you from Glasgow ?
    It would be good to see you there on Wednesday

9. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

Hi there
    Not at all ,the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Funny enough I bought the fight quest series on DVD and really liked the Hapkido episode . I actually found they didn't really go into the joint locking side of it enough on that episode. If thats what you like ,you'll love hapkido . I'd done TKD before so it felt very different from that .Is it practical ,I'd say ultimately ,yes . Still you can judge for yourself . I do think it takes a bit more time to understand the techniques as compared to punching and kicking .Plus the club only runs once a week only at the moment which I'm sure will increase so meaning more training time and time for techniques to stick. The gradings are taken by the 4th dan and there is a set syllabus but we end up doing all sorts of things ,sometimes if the black belt is learning stuff we might end up doing that !I might have got the British Hapkido assoc'n thing wrong but to be honest I tend not to care about that . As long as I'm learning and enjoying myself thats fine. I notice there seemed to be a lot of discussion re lineage and assoc'ns re hapkido earlier on ,I spose I'm not that into that kind of thing ...yet! Anyway Look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.remember its 7pm . Funny enough I've started going to TKD again ,more for the exercise but the combo of the two is great .

10. hap67

hap67 Valued Member

That is completely understandable . I wish you good luck in your grading . Glad you enjoyed your experience with hapkido . Come along anytime to the club ,always welcome

11. HapNads

HapNads New Member

re hapkido club in Glasgow

Noticed this thread , is anyone still interested in a hapkido club in Glasgow . if so feel free to call me on <removed> . i'm helping to run a new hapkido club in glasgow . Very good atmosphere and very down to earth . Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  12. HapNads

HapNads New Member

Hi , still looking ?

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Providing contact information and advertising a club this way is against the TOS you agreed to when you joined MAP.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  14. HapNads

HapNads New Member

OK , sorry about that . The Hapkido club in Pollokshields is still running but the original phone nos are wrong . There is a real dearth of hapkido clubs in Glasgow and letting folk know isnt easy , is there any way the club can leave contact details on here e.g email etc ?

15. HapNads

HapNads New Member

Hi Northface ,did you ever check this club in pollokshields out ?