Looking for Custom Tambo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by monkeywrench, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

if by trying to criticise my grammar and spelling is your way of saying I shouldn't post then you are childish indeed. I stated that if those who participated in the demo are supposedly 'Masters' then we should be able to see that in their application and movement. My opinion based on my exposure to many Masters is, they have yet to show me any Mastery and if you think the truth is an insult then obviously that is something you have to deal with on a personal level.

Its true what they say then sometimes? The truth hurts eh!

I don't really have to worry about my grammar or spelling as that is not something I have to rely on as when I speak or write people get the message I am trying to convey.

I accept my grammar and spelling is not the best in the world and know it could do with improving. Much in the same way I accept I have weaknesses in my martial art skills too. The spelling and grammar I can get by quite adequately as it is. So I spend my time trying to improve what is of more use to me. My martial arts knowledge. And if someone shows me a weakness I am man enough to accept it and off I go to improve it. I don't get insulted by it. As a matter of fact I thank them for helping me improve and expand my knowledge after all no one is perfect are they?

Its just some of us are more perfect than others ;) (JK)

2. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

You completely missed my point.

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

There were no insults directed at you, there were directed at the competence of the instructors. Which aren't insults at all. Whereas the attack you made was personal which is against TOS. Clear?

The Bear.

4. monkeywrench

I already did today. Post #132. I criticized a video that was presented as "more like it" (meaning more of what would be acceptable) with specifics of how it could be better.

I would actually like some feedback on that post actually. Are my comments valid?

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074517705&postcount=132

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You completely ignored my critic of your instructor's video. Care to respond now?

The Bear.

6. monkeywrench

No, not really. But I'm not worried about it. If you say there was no insult and I do then we simply disagree. I'm not gonna cry in my milk over that.

I found your posts insulting as well. That's why I have not even bothered replying to them to begin with. And if you were the one making the mod note...well. That's MAP policy I guess.

7. monkeywrench

No.

See post#146 for why.

8. Pat OMalley

hahahahaha is that the best you got? It's only disgusting if I wear it against my sweaty nuts, don't wash it then make someone wear it as a face mask.

FYI in medieval times it was considered fashionable to wear it on the outside. It was called a codpiece. Maybe I can reinstate that fashion trend in the name of tradition ;)

And maybe you should have dropped in on the GM Presas seminar you may have learnt something of value. I know I did as I was lucky to have trained with him several times amongst others. Now there was a true Master who could show you how to demo with controlled intent. I know I was on the receiving end of it when he was over here.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  9. monkeywrench

My plan until a moment ago was to show these videos to my instructors and come back with feedback.

I think I'll just unsubscribe this thread. Maybe it is me, I dunno. I just think that would be a huge waste of my time (and especially theirs) given what I've read so far here.

Respect. I'm just not seeing much of it here. No hard feelings, but I'm moving on now.

10. Pat OMalley

and your criticism was correct but it was still far far better which is why I said in the same post I was not a lover of Karate. That does not mean I have not spent time in it either.

But it seems ok for you to critisise that video but you deem it an insult if others criticise the ones you posted. Maybe you should not have posted as you seem to have double standards don't you. But like I said sometimes the truth hurts but on a good side it can also set you free.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You're looking for excuses now Monkeywrench.

If you are not willing to face the criticism fine so be it. However don't try and make out it's due to the other member's manners or conduct.

A number of valid points have been made and for the most part you have failed to address them.

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Thought not, you may be a fanboy of these people but don't expect the rest of the world to partake in your beliefs. We've all been taken in at some point in our MA careers but you've been told by experienced practioners of multiple arts the truth. We can't force you to open your eyes that is entirely up to you.

The Bear.

13. monkeywrench

So. Where do you think I learned that criticism that you say is correct?

And your second point, off base. I offered a criticism of a video that was presented. I offered no insults. I did not question the style as a whole or the instructors. I even identified what I liked about it and what was weak about it. I was fair and impartial. Unlike what I've seen here unfortunately.

See the difference?

No. I am not looking for excuses. I have this very morning addressed points that have been brought up and I have given feedback.

How is that looking for excuses?

And that's what I'm talking about right there. Your post lead with an insult. Not good behavior from staff I must say.

Fanboy? How am I to not take that as an insult? And from a staffer! Like I mentioned before, I've worked as a board mod in the past. I know the ins and outs. What I'm seeing here is *not* good discussion.

I've had to pin people down myself asking for some sort of detail instead of just being vague. I've seen my instructors insulted. And I've had staff do the double standard routine themselves now.

All in all, I think I've made good account of myself so far. I believe Chris said as much earlier in the thread. The one time I stepped over the line...I apologized. And I'm the only one that has so far. I've taken note of that.

I took a few minutes and unsubscribed. And I hope we can salvage something out of this thread.

14. monkeywrench

hahahahaha

No, a codpiece is NOT the same thing as an athletic supporter with cup!
    *whew*
    I think I about busted a gut laughing when I realized that was actually a jock strap there...hoo boy. lol

I do realize some people like wearing their cup on the outside. It's just nasty that's all I'm sayin. lol I've heard ladies outright say it's gross man. haha

15. Pat OMalley

Ah OK.

Excuse #1 Your insulting them - but fails to answer valid questions
    Excuse #2 I've heard it called that in class - but fails to answer valid questions
    Excuse #3 Your spelling and grammar is wrong - but fails to answer valid questions.
    Excuse #4 We dont do it like that - but fails to answer valid questions.
    Excuse #5 You need to wear your box on the outside - but fails to answer valid questions.
    Excuse #5 I'm waisting my time, i was going to but now i'm not - but fails to answer valid questions

Result = Right its my ball and i' taking it home now as I dont want to play anymore, your not playing by MY rules. Meaning = Can't answer valid questions.

16. Pat OMalley

Jock Starp, Codpeice all the same meant to protect your nuts. Inside or out it does the job all the same :p

Disgusting, yeah so what, I do a lot more things that are far more disgusting than protecting my nuts when being ht by a big guy with a big stick and I have never had a problem with women ;), but so is fooling people into beleiving that what you do is the real deal when its not is that not disgusting too, or are the rules different with you on that too?

Like I said is that the best critisism you can come up with.

Me thinks your too obsessed with the ball protector and missing whats going on around it.

Maybe now you've decided to stay, you can actually answer the questions possed to you about the group your in and why they promote something as something it is not? Or shall we concentrate on the nuts???? :rolleyes:

17. Pat OMalley

That is no excuse for sloppyness and weak technique. Got news for you here, Martial Arts at its very base is about using physical violence to counter act physical violence and in training such methods there is a risk of injury.

If you pull your shots and use weak technique in the interests of safety it is understandable, but when you do it so much that the whole essance is lost then you loose all value in what you are doing then all you are doing is making pretty patterns and learning absolutley nothing. Your fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

At the end of it all the students and the instructor need to know what it is like to hit and be hit and they should train to a point where they can show that if they wanted to they can give it and take it, for if they dont, when they go out in to the real world and get in to a confrontation and there one or two shots that they have been told will give them time to get away dont work and they get hit for real then they are in for one helluva shock.

There is training safely and then there is dam right lazyness and lack of understanding of what is being shown. They two are very different things with the latter making the former null and void. And that is all I can see in my 30 years plus of training fighting and getting in real life confrontations. But hey what do I know about it?

18. monkeywrench

I direct you to post #153.

Like I said before, if I need to give more detail...just ask. No need to make a fool out of yourself like this.

19. monkeywrench

I have seen this discussion take place many times around here and elsewhere. I somehow don't think the two of us here will resolve it.

I don't dispute what you are saying here. Just saying that it boils down to a difference in opinion at some level.

20. monkeywrench

What can I say?

I like talking about nuts.
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.