Looking for Custom Tambo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by monkeywrench, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Dean, I kind of agree with your asking 'monkeywrench' for details (video) of self-defence training although I'm a bit worried as one person's excellent self-defence technique is inevitably someone else's "We only teach that to beginners" or "that's only for fun"...

Waiting and hoping... :)

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Dear Lord!

Just do yourself a favour a go do Judo for a while.

That clip is awful.

Everything from the way the demo is put together to the physical movement of those involved was shocking.

It was just bizarre.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate and put up the first two that I get when I put in Cuong Nhu Self Defence as a search (I had already done this when we first started...), and see what comments you can make of them before I say what I see:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6lenW-V83s&NR=1"]Cuong Nhu John DiPietro Godan self defense demo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx0nIhno6qk"]Cuong Nhu Self Defense Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Agreed, but if something is completely out of whack with the reality of what self defence requires, that should be pretty obvious as well. Not saying that that is or is not found here, yet, just saying that "level" of technique isn't something that I think Dean is looking for here...

4. Dean Winchester

You got it Chris.

:cool:

5. Dean Winchester

Just a couple of things

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6OJnZG3joA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]The Fence - Geoff Thompson - Clip 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSyhvw6FaQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Pavement Arena 2 - Geoff Thompson - Clip 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awC25dmLoEs&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Pavement Arena 2 - Geoff Thompson - Clip 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0E0esV83xA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Pavement Arena 3 - Geoff Thompson - Clip 2 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm on a mobile and searching YouTube and posting is a pain so I've quickly grabbed a few SD clips, Monkeywrench have a look at the general concepts and training presented here then look at your own system and clips you've posted.

6. monkeywrench

monkeywrench Valued Member

I was thinking that there are few self-defense videos I've seen posted that didn't get trashed. Almost like no one out there is capable of putting out a "decent" one never mind a good one.

*sigh*

I've done Judo in the past. CN has Judo and my two instructors have trained with the very best in Judo. I believe I might have mentioned this already...

Any specific comments or just gonna trash the video our of hand?

I'll take a look at these vids when I can concentrate on them. I'm at work and have a blossoming work headache.
    *whimper*

7. Dean Winchester

Monkeywrench,

I wasn't trashing it out of hand it's simply that the clip is that bad that you could spend all day moaning about it.

The scripting of the demo was silly and the attacks delivered were poor and unrealistic, the body mechanics, co-ordination etc of the two "defenders" was rather poor and their response to the attacks only worked because the attackers fell over at the slightest suggestion of a "defence".

They could be awesome but based on that video and others I wouldn't trust the system to teach me to fight a strong breeze let alone a determined attacker.

And don't get me started on the defense against the Bo!!

I suggested Judo because it's a good base to spring from into other things plus a bit of a MAP "in joke".

8. monkeywrench

How realistic should they have been? Do you need to see blood? lol
    It wasn't a realism-based demo. It was a kinda artsy demo based on a soft kata and a couple other things. But yes, there is technique in there.

You see, I would go back to Judo but my old heavy Judo gi disappeared like a fart in the wind. Gone! Now how does something that heavy go missing?
    :p

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

to be honest the only thing I feel here is actually sorry for those people who believe this stuff has any martial or art in it.
    Ok let steer away from the stick because the guys performing it clearly know nothing about it either and lets go back to that little drill I mentioned before that you guys are touting as a Wing Chun drill when in fact it's an FMA drill call Hubud. Well its structurally weak in its performance and how it is being trained will get you into to more trouble than it will get you out of.

So how did this FILIPINO MARTIAL
    ARTS. drill become labelled as a Chinese Drill bearing in mind the claims the system makes are at least in this part wrong.

As for the Judo and boxing is seen. Well lets not go there eh! as that too is structurally wrong and weak.

Best regards

Pat

10. Pat OMalley

For the Judo Gi. Buy another one. As for the demo. What technique. Where was is. The only thing I see was weak structure. Weak technique and weak responses. Just because an art or kata is considered soft it does not mean you demo like your strangling a feather duster. Commitment to the technique with controlled intent both in the initial attack and counters show people that those in the demo are confident in there own ability.

I'm sorry but these guys look like they had little confidence in simply walking. And what was that guy in White doing on the floor rolling around? He looked as though he was making an unsuccessful attempt at putonghua out a fire on his Gi???

Best regards

Pat

11. monkeywrench

I have heard those types of drills referred to as Hubud in my own school.

Your comments have been pretty general and derogatory. I see no real need to reply to them further.

Cheers.

12. Pat OMalley

Yep usually the response when an answer can't be given.

I can't tell you why we promote an FMA empty hand drill as Wing Chun so I'll just refuse to answer. Mmmm. Ok that answers more than you realise.

13. Dean Winchester

I too wondered about the rolling, looked er odd to say the least.

Mr O'Malley is bang on about it being weak.

And yes when doing kata type training the intent and technique absolutely must be there else all you are doing is dancing around.

Your safety factor within such training is its scripted nature and so you have to use that correctly, if you know the other guy is going to deliver a right punch then he has to do it with real intent and technical proficiency. Also that same attacker must be prepared to fight you within that scenario, exploiting any gaps you show or mistakes.

Obviously for a demo that particular thing may not be appropriate but all the rest should be there and they certainly shouldn't just fall over that easily.

What's the point otherwise?? You aren't showing the system as such are you?

You're playing at it for the sake of thinking it looks good.

14. Pat OMalley

and it looks like there adding in arts for the sake of it looking good which is also weak and tell you what you have is weak. Or purely money driven.

Best regards

Pat

15. monkeywrench

Your post was utterly lacking in specificity. And insulting. Hence the null reply.

Have a good day sir.

I am sitting here with time on my hands but I am retracting my offer to look over those videos. Deride me all you like. Have at it.

Patience and respect is one thing. Offering oneself up as a punching bag is another entirely and something I will not waste my time doing.

/thread

16. Pat OMalley

the drill is specifically labelled in the video as Wing Chun which is from China yet the drill is specifically from the Philippines and is a Filipino martial art drill and I am asking why your group label it as something it's not? How much more specific do you need?

And if asking why is insulting then your easily insulted for all the wrong reasons. Surely wanting to know the truth is more important than having the wool pulled over your eyes?

17. Dean Winchester

That's rather childish isn't it?

Only you will lose out there.

It doesn't make a difference to us if you look at them or not but you might learn something if you do.

Also we haven't derided you have we? We've pointed out various problems we see in the clips of your system, there's a difference unless of course you see our comments as indirectly calling your judgement into question?

At the end of the day people have given specifics it's been you who has given generalised answers.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  18. Pat OMalley

Here's the problem as I see it and I've seen it happen before.

You spent a lot of time and hard earned cash learning something that is dressed up as something it's not then someone comes along and tells you that it is not what you where led to believe. But you don't want to admit that you may actually be wrong, you may actually have been cheated. So what do you do? You convince yourself that you are right and those telling you that what you are doing is wrong are merely looking to lambast you and what you have been learning. There insulting your intelligence?

Its a defence mechanism many people rely on when passing of something that is not actually what they claim it to be. It's a mechanism than con artists rely on. After all how many con victims are willing to admit they have actually been conned?

I haven't insulted the person individually but I have simply asked questions that are pointing out that what he believes he is doing is not actually what he has been told it is. So rather than see it for what it is his defence mechanism kicks in and gets enraged at the person or persons who have basically told him he has been taken for a rid.

Afte all we individual human beings are never wrong are we?

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  19. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

monnkeywrench, If they use the title master you have been severely misled. The skill level is shockingly low. There is just too many faults the principles to even begin looking at.

The Bear.

20. Pat OMalley

Now I'm not a great lover of Karate. Done it in the past and I seen value in it. Just not for me but when done right as everything it is an effective art.

Now with regards to the CN video being weak what I was trying to put across to the OP is that it could have looked more like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idQLrVrNpEU&sns=em"]Heian Shodan Bunkai - YouTube[/ame]

And as for the individuals in the CN video calling themselves Masters? Well unfortunetly that is a title that is used all too freely these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.