Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by cuongnhugirl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That doesn't surprise me.
    Moving is not bouncing. Bobbing is not bouncing.
    WTF fighters bounce. Boxers (generally) do not.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The only time you will see them "bounce" as a rule is outside of range when they are shaking loose trying to dissipate the adrenaline

3. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Bobbing is head movement. Bobbing the head up and down. The whole purpose is to deny your opponent a fixed target to punch. But if you're not careful you can bob your way right into an uppercut. Its happened to me. Don't feel good.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

CHG, why do you ask for advice if you are not interested in hearing it?

5. cuongnhugirl

I am interested in hearing it. I like to learn about different styles.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay. I don't have a horse in this race. Think what you like.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yes I know. I was being generous and thinking that maybe you mistook bobbing the head for "bouncing on the balls of the feet".
    One boxers do a lot (some anyway) while the other thing not many do.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Then you need to accept that you are clueless in some areas.

9. cuongnhugirl

As are you and everyone else. Theres no one here who is familiar with every style there is.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Right, but they ARE familiar with the styles you asked about.

That's why you asked them.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Your point being?

Seriously do you actually look at what you write and how it relates to what has been said before?

You just go off half cocked at times.

My point is that is if you wish to learn then you have to realise just how much you don't know.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

:confused:
    I have detected this kind of behavior has been repeated so many times in this forum (also in other forums as well). An OP starts a thread and ends up arguing with everybody.

Is there a solution for this? Should an OP puts himself in "listen" mode only? If one asks for opinions, he should appreciate all feedbacks whether he agree or disagree. A disagreed feedback is still batter than no feedback at all. Nobody wants to start a thread with 0 post after that.

I can see if someone puts up a clip to show off, he may argue with negative feedback. But this thread is "Looking for advice". How can one argue against "advice"? :confused:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I am flabbergasted that a thread on a video where a guy states "I have no affiliation with JKD or anyone who has studied it" has gotten this far. Where is the question on whether or not this guy is a legit person to watch? He's essentially saying "I don't know anything about this, but I'm going to teach it." It's as good as all the vs. Boxing or vs. Wrestling or vs. BJJ videos from people LARPing.

On top of that, somebody who is very deep in the JKD community (Hannibal) is telling you (cngirl) that it's crap and you have a confrontational attitude towards the comments. Why? It's like arguing 1+1 isn't 2 to a mathematician honestly. I don't even particularly like JKD, or Tapout, and I would never cross a line with an attitude towards somebody who clearly has quite a bit of experience in a certain field of martial arts even with questionable clothing habits :)p). There is no other way to say it nicely, but you're being flat out stupid and ignorant. Do you even know Hannibal's background in JKD?

I don't really know who this Wong fellah is, but as soon as somebody starts giving their opinion on something they actually claim to know nothing about due to lack of experience in exposure and practice then the most I have is a patient ear and a nod of the head to keep them going so they hurry up and finish. That's in person though and I don't like to be impolite/rude to people most of the time. I'll be damned if I sit down and watch a hundred youtube videos when I know i can just go to legitimate sources. There is no need to try and observe and guess on whether or not a guy is legit when you can find ten other people who you know you won't question.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

most thread starters do not do this.

15. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

No it's not Bobbing involves both head and body movement your head can't bob on its own without body movement otherwise it just twitches at the top of your shoulders. As for you calling it bouncing on your feet. Calling a horse a car still don't make it a car. You move on the balls of your feet you don't bounce. If you bounce you get caught more often than not when your weight is leaving the strong base you need to punch. And yes I have boxing experience.

Wong is just a video copy cat trying to
    Mimic and cash in on the JKD name. He is proof that you can fool some of the people all of the time.

16. cuongnhugirl

Thanks for correcting my terminology.

17. cuongnhugirl

Ok its not Judo. I missed the part where he says his system focuses only on the Chinese arts. I was wrong because I didn't catch that the first time.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Rules out boxing too, then

19. respectfulone

respectfulone New Member

You are completely correct and in the case of Cuong Nhu, the sole person holding that "title" has shown little to deserve it. My nine year old daughter and I spent six weeks at the headquarters/dojo for Cuong Nhu in Jacksonville, FL run by Quynh Ngo, the “grandmaster” of the art. In those few weeks we were shocked and saddened by multiple disrespectful, rude and prejudiced statements made by the man. He tends to go on rambling lectures during the sit-down time when he has a captive audience, including many children and youth. The comments made included 1) telling children to not apologize for things that they know are wrong as such an apology is insincere, 2) calling overweight people lazy and stating that no one wants to hire them, and 3) calling professional athletes “the lowest of the low” for risking their lives for their career. My young daughter, upon hearing each of those statements, looked at me in disbelief.

This is not our first martial art and I have never seen or heard of an art where the leader was so blatantly rude and disrespectful. As he sets the tone for all his dojos, it is difficult to believe that his offensive views are not carried over and taught to his instructors. I was raised to show unconditional respect, even to those who are rude and offensive. When I politely spoke with Quynh Ngo in front of two other black belts and explained how his comments were very offensive to me and my family, he became extremely defensive and ultimately said that there must be something wrong with me from my past that I would take such offense. I bowed to him out of respect, left the dojo and will never return.

Every martial art I have ever heard of, seen and participated in has respect for one’s self and others as a core principal. I have never seen a black belt “teach” by lecturing on politics, religion or personal biases. We all go to learn the art, not be lectured on personal matters. Cuong Nhu is a new art but the comments and attitudes demonstrated by Quynh Ngo are as old as ignorance and prejudice. As Quynh Ngo is the head of this order, his words and actions speak for all. As for me and my daughter, we will have nothing to do with such a disrespectful, rude and uneducated prejudice toward others. I strongly suggest you find another martial art whose teachers understand that respect is more than a word and must be demonstrated at all times by everyone.

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Welcome to MAP respectfulone. I see that you have posted this same basic post in two areas of MAP. Please be aware that cross posting is not allowed. One area is sufficient please.

I am leaving this one, but deleting the almost same post elsewhere.

To find our Terms of Service, please click on the "Terms and Rules" button on the bottom right hand corner of every page.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018