Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by cuongnhugirl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I had the good fortune to train with Sifu Fancis Fong ( One of Guro Dan's Wing Chun instructors)and a few times a year i train with Sifu Kevin Seaman who is a long time student of Guro Dan And Sifu Fong whenever he comes to the Academy of Martial Arts in RI.

2. Street Stylist

Street Stylist Banned Banned

I agree. I've spent the last 7 or 8 years supplementing my training with videos and learning things on my own. I think the reason so many WC stylists practice FMA and visa versa is because of the similarity in fluidity of motion and trapping techniques. They just blend nicely, almost as if they had both stemmed from the same lineage.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. Street Stylist

Michael Tse is a WC expert, and there are Youtube videos on Bruce Lee's Fighting Methods by Richard Bustillo and Ted Wong which are pretty good.

4. Street Stylist

I would agree, but it also depends on the video and who/what's involved in it. There are some good vids out there. What I find funny though is why martial artists spend more time watching training videos than they do watching Youtube's actual street fighting videos. That's where you learn the most IMO, unless you're dealing with sports. Some vids are also useless, like sparring videos. You can't spar by watching videos.

5. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I post videos as well as watch attribute training videos.
    I am sometimes blasted and sometimes encouraged.

6. ned

ned Valued Member

sorry mate but please dont include me in your delusional fantasies,it was
    amusing at first now its just tedious

7. Street Stylist

Another good purpose for watching videos, self-reflection and self-testing.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You meant Chen,not Cheng,correct?

Guro Kev is an old friend. Excellent instructor.

9. ned

ned Valued Member

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Interesting.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

12. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Forgive me, i am a bit ignorant as it pertains to Tai Chi. I heard Wong Sifu say it on a video and thought it was Cheng, but it very well could be Chen. Sorry for the confusion.

13. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

By the way, he doesnt call it fma, he doesnt say the words gunting, or hubad, but the energy drills are pretty darn close to what ive worked on in Kali, Arnis, and Kali Silat.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well sure. But that's different from someone having studied FMA. The double sabre routines in Modern Wushu look exactly like sinawali. But I wouldn't, therefore, say I've studied wushu. Crossover of principles is different from actual study.

15. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Ok I think I've figured out Master Wongs style. He has taken Wing Chun, mixed in elements of the Filipino arts and elements of boxing and Judo, creating what he calls the Master Wong system. Got it.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not sure the facts support that conclusion. But what does it matter?

17. cuongnhugirl

If you watch his JKD vids he uses Judo for the grappling. As others here have said his WC is a mix.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I remain unconvinced (though open to being wrong) about his background in FMA. Or boxing for that matter. As for the judo, I'm no expert. But I have seen some of his videos, and don't recall anything distinctly judo. It's certainly possible.

I am curious, though. What's the allure of "figuring out" his system?

19. cuongnhugirl

There is no allure. If you watch his JKD vids he demonstrates leg grab takedowns, shoulder throw, straight arm lock, all Judo.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okey dokey